Regarding Chronomancer's current state

Mobian.8256

It's been a couple of months since Chronomancer lost IP and Distortion, essentially gutting the spec in most scenarios, and generally killing the playablility of the class itself.

It's really frustrating to say the least, not seeing anything regarding said change. I've been watching over the forums, and other places as well, and it's just all been quiet from what I've seen. The devs aren't saying a word about the change, not even as to why they made it. Perhaps it was a trade off to what they're capable of, but I don't think it was the correct one. If you want someone to stop using a class in raids, then nerf its damage. Chronomancer is of course a support class, at least in my eyes. I don't think killing the flow of the spec is a realistic way of trying to force people off of it.

(I should say nerfing Chrono's damage isn't the only way you could balance it, it was more so just an example of what could be done to make it fall more in line.)

This also begs another question though, regarding gutting classes and the like for the sake of variety in raids, and other content. What happens when the classes you want people to play become too powerful too? Do you intend on doing the same?

I just feel like there were better ways of changing chronomancer than literally destroying the spec itself. Maybe it needs a rework like many say, or maybe it just needs to be reverted back to previous incarnations of the spec.

Personally, I'd just prefer it if we could get what we had back, so at least the flow of the spec is back to normal. More over, I'd just like to state that the constant changes to classes/specs and the like are not always wanted. It honestly feels like half the time the changes that were made weren't really reasonable ones, at least in my opinion. I think instead of the constant tiny changes it should be taken into more consideration how you want classes to interact with one another, and what you want them to do.

I don't think this was the right way to go about it with Chronomancer, because at its current state the spec is very much just dead in anything apart from raids, which is ironic since it feels like the main reason you did this change was to stop them from being so prominent in that area of gameplay, and yet it changed nothing.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:I think there is no problem with chrono now. At least in gamemodes I play (raids, dungeons)Biggest nerf will come next month when arctemplates will get banned

get near pvp or wvw and you'll see...

I know there is one but I dont play that so I cannot answer there

not only one my dear mesmer fella, since that last destruc... "rework" they did, chrono is unplayable in etiher of those two game modes, they vanished

It's true that the series of nerfs to the spec removed a lot of its complexity and overall flow of the class.

In terms of raid balance, I believe Anet has come close to their goal - Chrono is pretty balanced right now. Frankly, a lot of the stuff Chrono had before the nerfs were blatantly overpowered and shouldn't really be in the game, such as distortion share. That being said, overnerfs did also happen; the changes to the Chrono shatters were very unwarranted and made the spec a chore to play in general.

Arguably the biggest problem with the changes that have happened to Chrono is that it doesn't really see any play in PvP, WvW, and high-tier fractals anymore. There shouldn't be any surprises though, since Anet has traditionally been terrible at balancing a spec across game modes and often sacrifices some game modes in an attempt to balance in one particular game mode.

@Mobian.8256 said:It's been a couple of months since Chronomancer lost IP and Distortion, essentially gutting the spec in most scenarios, and generally killing the playablility of the class itself.

It's really frustrating to say the least, not seeing anything regarding said change. I've been watching over the forums, and other places as well, and it's just all been quiet from what I've seen. The devs aren't saying a word about the change, not even as to why they made it. Perhaps it was a trade off to what they're capable of, but I don't think it was the correct one. If you want someone to stop using a class in raids, then nerf its damage. Chronomancer is of course a support class, at least in my eyes. I don't think killing the flow of the spec is a realistic way of trying to force people off of it.

(I should say nerfing Chrono's damage isn't the only way you could balance it, it was more so just an example of what could be done to make it fall more in line.)

This also begs another question though, regarding gutting classes and the like for the sake of variety in raids, and other content. What happens when the classes you want people to play become too powerful too? Do you intend on doing the same?

I just feel like there were better ways of changing chronomancer than literally destroying the spec itself. Maybe it needs a rework like many say, or maybe it just needs to be reverted back to previous incarnations of the spec.

Personally, I'd just prefer it if we could get what we had back, so at least the flow of the spec is back to normal. More over, I'd just like to state that the constant changes to classes/specs and the like are not always wanted. It honestly feels like half the time the changes that were made weren't really reasonable ones, at least in my opinion. I think instead of the constant tiny changes it should be taken into more consideration how you want classes to interact with one another, and what you want them to do.

I don't think this was the right way to go about it with Chronomancer, because at its current state the spec is very much just dead in anything apart from raids, which is ironic since it feels like the main reason you did this change was to stop them from being so prominent in that area of gameplay, and yet it changed nothing.

I think the new Seize the Moment and Lost Time are pretty good indications IP is never coming back.

I feel like i need to say it somewhere so it may as well be here: one of the reasons i love chrono is it's different shatters and i like having chrono over core mes for the shatters alone.

ANYWAY. Chrono is only dead because firebrand is so so SO SO extremely good, apart from alacrity it does almost everything a chrono does MUCH easier and often better- and yeah you can argue that in raids 2x chrono 1x druid is better than 2x quickbrand 1x alacrigade 1x druid, but if you need an off healer that's still 4 slots for supports eitherway as that is role compressed by the ren/fb, and if you DON'T need an offhealer then good luck finding one of the few chronos who do more than 4k dps (even the alacrigade should score double the dps alone, decent quickbrands can even out-dps actual dps'.)

Chronos are still prevalent in raids ONLY because less hardcore raiders still make calculations based on 6 dps and 4 support slots and don't care that a firebrand can do 5x the damage facerolling, and for the super super elite raiders they can squeeze the most out of chrono anyway.

Yeah, OP, we know. But hope kinda dies at this point. We ain't getting even a hint of acknowledgement no matter what polls, feedback during "provide feedback" threads we provide, and certain people in PvP would much prefer mesmer of all kinds being gone and they're going to be VERY vocal about it on Reddit/otherway because they have issues with finding a real mesmer vs clones in near 2020. There literally was a thread complaining that Chrono made some thief's fractal runs too easy, please nerf. Which is of course ridiculous, because in 5-man chrono's a dead weight compared to better picks in it's spot(s).

Btw, 3 more months of this would mean that our spec's been near unplayable trashheap with flimsy "well it's fine for raids at least" excuse for 9 months, nearly a year, in other words. You tell me whether that's acceptable, and whether we should cut our losses and look for something else at this point.

@"Gogdarth.6741" said:Yeah, OP, we know. But hope kinda dies at this point. We ain't getting even a hint of acknowledgement no matter what polls, feedback during "provide feedback" threads we provide, and certain people in PvP would much prefer mesmer of all kinds being gone and they're going to be VERY vocal about it on Reddit/otherway because they have issues with finding a real mesmer vs clones in near 2020. There literally was a thread complaining that Chrono made some thief's fractal runs too easy, please nerf. Which is of course ridiculous, because in 5-man chrono's a dead weight compared to better picks in it's spot(s).

Btw, 3 more months of this would mean that our spec's been near unplayable trashheap with flimsy "well it's fine for raids at least" excuse for 9 months, nearly a year, in other words. You tell me whether that's acceptable, and whether we should cut our losses and look for something else at this point.

I've already cut mine. Barely touched the game since July. I've only left it installed in hopes of a rework. That being said, my SSD is running low on space and there are plenty of other games that I'm enjoying right now. Some of which scratch the same itch that only Chrono out of all the existing specs could scratch. In short, I've almost lost complete interest in this game because as someone who's played and fully geared all specs, Support Chrono is the only one I truly find fun and engaging in the entire game.

@Sapphire.3609 said:It's true that the series of nerfs to the spec removed a lot of its complexity and overall flow of the class.

In terms of raid balance, I believe Anet has come close to their goal - Chrono is pretty balanced right now. Frankly, a lot of the stuff Chrono had before the nerfs were blatantly overpowered and shouldn't really be in the game, such as distortion share. That being said, overnerfs did also happen; the changes to the Chrono shatters were very unwarranted and made the spec a chore to play in general.

Arguably the biggest problem with the changes that have happened to Chrono is that it doesn't really see any play in PvP, WvW, and high-tier fractals anymore. There shouldn't be any surprises though, since Anet has traditionally been terrible at balancing a spec across game modes and often sacrifices some game modes in an attempt to balance in one particular game mode.

Yeah, that's the problem though. It's only balanced in Raids, and no where else. LOLI'd rather they made it so we couldn't aegis share than take away distortion all together, it's especially damning in PvP and WvW