About bots... — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

About bots...

Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I don't play GW2 that often anymore. I log in to help friends who still play, maybe buy a new skin off the trading post, but that's about it.

While I absolutely love a certain other game, one thing I go have to give credit to Anet for with GW2 is that while bots were a problem in the first couple years (and to some extent still are), the people at Arenanet who have been in charge of taking care of this blight on gaming have done a really good job compared to even a few subscription based games.

Yes, they still exist, that much is clear, but I was sitting in a major city near a quest hub the other day in another game, and watched over 100 randomly named bots teleport in, talk to an NPC, then teleport out. And this has been going on for a very long time. Meanwhile the parent company constantly talks about how they are "banning in waves" and so on.

Anet has done and said similar things, but whatever measures they have taken actually seem to then be applied to whatever detection they are using, thus reducing the number.

Again, yes, I'm sure they are still here. Especially in WvW, or on the TP, but my current game is over 7 years old also, and they still pour out of the newbie zone in droves (and these are accounts that are doing activities that prove they are paid accounts, likely with stolen credit cards).

To that end, I thank Anet for at least trying to stay on top of that issue. I could rant for days on many other things, but on this, you guys need to be commended.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

<1

Comments

• googel.3278googel.3278 Member ✭✭✭

opposite of bots is ... tops?

• I see and report so many and nothing happens, they are still botting

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• magnusthorek.8027magnusthorek.8027 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

Although I'm not a long-time player I did have my share of encounters with these disgraceful bots and AFK farmers. This pisses me off and I sure report them, most of the times in-game but when the situation becomes outrageously offensive, I open a ticket. Arena Net might do something against them at times but not as often as they should, rendering us, the "good samaritans", grasping the hope of an intervention indicated by a copy-and-paste "you may not hear of us about it". Alright, that was a bit dramatic XD

Today's day started just terrible for me. While I was in the Labyrinth getting a few bags for personal use, after all, money come and go and this game is not a "second job" (so I don't sell them), there were three bot users or at least AFK farmers (maybe a multi-box user? I don't know, I don't care) in the same instance sitting at specific spots with a relatively high concentration of enemies around the central area. All Reapers surrounded by as many minions as possible. :(

I reported and blocked them but I wanted more. I wanted personal revenge for them being one of the many responsible for Reapers being such a poorly developed class with very weak DPS peaks if compared to other classes. As one of them was around Rebels and Ranger Skeletons, I positioned myself near him/her drawing enemies towards me and had his character being pushed behind one of those... mausoleums? His/her minions followed thus getting out of enemies' sight. It was the best 90mins of solo farming I had because I managed to reduce his/her incoming by at least 90%

It's a shame, really. Such a great game at mercy of cheaters, getting richer and richer by manipulating the market with fraudulently acquired loot. But I know that today I could smile every time I passed by this person. >:)

@magnusthorek.8027 said:
    As one of them was around Rebels and Ranger Skeletons, I positioned myself near him/her drawing enemies towards me and had his character being pushed behind one of those... mausoleums? His/her minions followed thus getting out of enemies' sight. It was the best 90mins of solo farming I had because I managed to reduce his/her incoming by at least 90%

Be careful doing this. You could be sanctioned for griefing.

Very.
    Casual.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

honestly whats the problem with them? serious question

@mezzer.4096 posting names is against the CoC. You may want to edit your post.

Very.
    Casual.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019

with all that dimish returns, these guys really profit something?

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

@ugrakarma.9416 said:
    with all that dimish returns, these guys really profit something?

Sure, it doesn't seem to cost them anything to bot 24/7 and simply reap whatever they receive. Even with diminishing returns, they are guaranteed to get something for their "efforts". Those copper pieces add up, especially when you don't have to work to earn them.

Very.
    Casual.

• SoulGuardian.6203SoulGuardian.6203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019

How can you tell?

I see them in quite a few of the places that I frequent, usually on weekends when (I guess) there aren't enough GMs around to deal with reports. {shrug} I usually just report and move on. At some point, things will catch up with them.

Very.
    Casual.

• UnDeadFun.5824UnDeadFun.5824 Member ✭✭✭

Plenty of bots teleporting from gathering node to node, sad to say it's been like that since the beginning. I think it's funny people getting upset about afk farmers when those teleport bots have been here all along.

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭✭

Honestly Bots have just got better at hiding.. If you want to see bots check out any rich iron nodes..

• rich nodes can only be gotten 1 time per day, I would not call them bots
    there are 5 trees at the tree farm, 3 are easy to get from one spot
    reported the same bots again today, sigh

• @Knighthonor.4061 said:

the problem is that it is against the rules and it gives unfair materials to those botting, they can bot 24 hours a day
    with 60 to 69 toons you can farm the tree farm 24/7 as it takes around 1 minute for each toon

@mezzer.4096 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

the problem is that it is against the rules and it gives unfair materials to those botting, they can bot 24 hours a day
    with 60 to 69 toons you can farm the tree farm 24/7 as it takes around 1 minute for each toon

and whats the difference of somebody doing that themselves? you get the same results.

@mezzer.4096 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

While I don't agree with bots/botting, I don't really see any problem with the amount of materials that they acquire except for how that might affect the in-game economy. What I really don't like are the bots who stand in the way of game/story progression.

Aside from these things, those who bot don't really affect my ability to enjoy the game and they don't gain any unfair advantages over me in the game.

Very.
    Casual.

• @Knighthonor.4061 said:

@mezzer.4096 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

and whats the difference of somebody doing that themselves? you get the same results.

there is a big difference in computer doing all the work while you do something else instead of being physically at the keyboard
    from my own farming, getting the elder trees 24/7 would get you 200G each day, I normally get 10G

How does someone obtaining 200G per day adversely affect your ability to play the game? I don't understand the complaint.

Very.
    Casual.

@kharmin.7683 said:
    How does someone obtaining 200G per day adversely affect your ability to play the game? I don't understand the complaint.

yeah this----^

• How does one know that players collecting Elder Wood at that farm are bots? Who sits and watches, logs 60-69 names an hour for multiple hours and determines those names are bots?
    If one thinks that logging into that area, collecting wood and logging back out indicates one is a bot, then one is sorely mistaken. I have a character parked there, and that's exactly what I do.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

How very quickly a post about how much better ANet is at combating bots (combotting?) than another game the OP enjoys transformed into a bash session thread, even going so far as to use pieces of the OP out of context to support their "arguments".

I guess people only read what they want to see.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• when, WHEN will be taken care of the botters in lowland burns, blazeridge steppes. standing there for days while either their pets or the perma released skill are doing the kills.
    killing branded for t3 and 4 mats.

• @Asuhrion.9738 said:
    when, WHEN will be taken care of the botters in lowland burns, blazeridge steppes. standing there for days while either their pets or the perma released skill are doing the kills.

is it considered as botting since they let the pet do the job? I mean there's no bot involved ? theere is?

• that is morally botting. that is NOT active gaming. and it is removing the odds for other players to make their kills. because they placed their corrupt kitten in the hot spots where the highest respawn rate is.

While I disagree with what these players are doing, if they are not breaking any of these rules then there is nothing we can do about it. When I see them, I report them and let Anet decide if they are breaking the rules or not. Yes, it makes it difficult to complete tasks, but ultimately it is Anet's decision.

Very.
    Casual.

• The use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.
    The use of a macro to automate character skills while not at your computer or not actively playing the game.

go there and look at that ing, perma placing turrets and then try to kill one of the creeps. impossible.
    so its an abuse of some sort of macro to perma cast a skill.

• and honestly, i do not think that anyone is looking into such reports. cos these, lets call them "players", are there forever.

Well, for privacy reasons, ANet does not disclose actions taken against specific players. We don't know if by reporting these "bots" whether or not a GM checked and found them at their keyboard. I do know that I have reported players in Wayfarer Hills that appeared to be botting for kills and later they weren't there. Now, it may be that they were pinged by a GM and decided to move on, or they were disconnected or otherwise removed. {shrug} We'll never know in this case or any other specific cases. Clearly, complaining about it on the forums gets us nowhere.

Very.
    Casual.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

I do this all the time, with no auto-casting going on, I just park somewhere and place a trap down after each spawn of whatever I am killing. Could be on a necro or a ranger. Normally, if I am doing this I am watching a movie or something on my other monitor and only checking the game screen occasionally. Not illegal, but it may look illegal.

• Letting your character performing any actions (autocasting), participating in events and killing mobs while you're not at your computer is not allowed. If you see "idle farmers", all you can do is report them for botting. They're not getting banned or kicked immidiately. GM has to check if they're actually afking or not (by texting to them and waiting for response).

Master of garbage builds and being useless.

@kratan.4619 said:
    I do this all the time, with no auto-casting going on, I just park somewhere and place a trap down after each spawn of whatever I am killing. Could be on a necro or a ranger. Normally, if I am doing this I am watching a movie or something on my other monitor and only checking the game screen occasionally. Not illegal, but it may look illegal.

Yeah, not against the rules but annoying to regular players depending on where you're doing this. For me, for the most part, I really don't care unless the mobs you're slaying are keeping me from completing an objective like a heart quest. To me, that type of action is selfish. Not speaking specifically to you kratan; just in general.

Thanks for not auto-casting, though. ;)

Very.
    Casual.

• this is how peeps are trying to talk sense and moral into their actions.

• @kharmin.7683 said:
    Clearly, complaining about it on the forums gets us nowhere.

sry, thats too much sirupy sweet thinking to me.

• @Antycypator.9874 said:
    Letting your character performing any actions (autocasting), participating in events and killing mobs while you're not at your computer is not allowed. If you see "idle farmers", all you can do is report them for botting. They're not getting banned or kicked immidiately. GM has to check if they're actually afking or not (by texting to them and waiting for response).

not at your computer or not actively playing the game

Not at your computer is what it says. We already know that one doesn't need to be "actively" playing.

Very.
    Casual.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@Asuhrion.9738 said:
    when, WHEN will be taken care of the botters in lowland burns, blazeridge steppes. standing there for days while either their pets or the perma released skill are doing the kills.

is it considered as botting since they let the pet do the job? I mean there's no bot involved ? theere is?

More often referred to as AFK'rs and Anet has made statements on what they do to give them a ban.

• do you have any link to that statement ?

• @kharmin.7683 said:
    Not at your computer is what it says. We already know that one doesn't need to be "actively" playing.

nope. i am quoting from the link u posted, my friend.

@Asuhrion.9738 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

Where in that quote does it say one has to be actively playing?

Very.
    Casual.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

I know folks who have been punished for missing a gm check, so Anet does do some enforcement. The rules are too lenient imo, its a poor look when inattentive farming is rampant. It is what it is.

• @kharmin.7683 said:

@Asuhrion.9738 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

in your own 1st post in this thread you linked the rules. maybe its helpful to read them. you will be enlightened.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Asuhrion.9738 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Asuhrion.9738 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

in your own 1st post in this thread you linked the rules. maybe its helpful to read them. you will be enlightened.

All depends on what they mean with not activly playing.

I would say manualy placing down turrets every 5 mins is no activly playing but clearly anet dont feel the same.

Yeah, so thanks for the snark. The rules refer to auto-casting while not actively playing. One can still farm without being active like @kratan.4619 mentioned in their post.

Very.
    Casual.

• i dont rly get it what that nitpicking is about ? fact is that it is abusing either the rules or the community.
    while i watch a stream on 2nd screen, hitting blind a key. okaaaay, i leave that to the special ones. but perma repeating skills using a mouse or whatever macro is taken is unquestionable illegal. or simply afking in a certain spot and let the pets do their job.
    this is NOT worth discussing about. otherwise i have to think that even you are morally corrupt.

• It amuses me that some get so worked up over players 'afk' farming. I mean, the rate of return is so small compared to active farming.

Anyways, ANet has set their guidelines for what is and isn't acceptable. All any of us can do is report suspected players and move on.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

AFK farming/botting is not allowed. Idle farming is not AFK farming/botting. If you think someone is AFK farming/botting you can report them. If they are just idle farming then they are doing nothing wrong.

The idea that they are somehow tagging and killing all the enemies before other people to the point that it hinders their ability to play the game is laughable at best. Idle farming doesn't significantly impact the gameplay of others in any meaningful way.

I used to lazy complete renown hearts on my engi by placing a bunch of turrets and waiting while I chatted with my guild. It wasn't uncommon for random nosey people to whisper me because of assumptions that I had to be afk farming or something.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 20k AP

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

The idea that they are somehow tagging and killing all the enemies before other people to the point that it hinders their ability to play the game is laughable at best. Idle farming doesn't significantly impact the gameplay of others in any meaningful way.

The heart quest at Bloodfin Lake in Iron Marches can be difficult to complete because the "idle" farmers kill the ghosts too quickly. That's just one example that I've had difficulty with in this regard.

Very.
    Casual.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

This kind of stuff makes for a silly game, laugh all you want.