Build templates Let's improve before running it

Hi everyone.My topic was changed because of watching

(thanks @"Carcharoth Lucian.1378" for the link).

I am glad to know that build templates will come to the game soon.It is a handy option for me, because of changes that ANet likes to bring in the game often enough.

The first thing is splitting traits and gears as two non-tied stuff.

But, probably, I did understand some points.News says that there will be two types of templates:

1. for skill and traits
  2. for equipmentAs for me, traits and equipment stats (as a type of chosen weapon) tied together. I meant, when I change traits I also think what stats and weapon will be better for that or reverse.Maybe am I bad at making builds?

My opinion we should have one sort of build templates where we can choose traits with gear together but not to click many times to select so-called "build template" and "equipment template".and we can't use the same bound key for choosing and "build template" and "equipment template" together.

The second is content-wide using templates

During the presentation they mentioned that new templates could be used for all types of content: PvE, WvW and PvP.I hope they won't change the current situation of swapping build when we change maps. And we will have different sets of templates for all types of content.I meant when I go to WvW map I get WvW build (not only traits) automatically.And you know that PvP builds work absolutely in a different way neither PvE builds do.I don't think that saving PvP /WvW builds on PvE maps is a good idea because we can test these builds.

I would be glad to hear your comments about the current topic: you agree or disagree with merging templates.Maybe you can suggest another view on types and amount of build templates.

P.S.In this forum, there are other threads (like using legendary gear between many characters) to discuss build templates, but they are not related (yet) to my question.

@Taygus.4571 said:they're looking at making it si that you can keybind both a trait template and equipment template to the same keybind.

however they didn't want to hold back the release because of that.

(ref. from the stream)

Having the ability to associate a particular equipment template with a particular trait template would make sense. The same equipment template could be used by different trait templates.

Having two templates use the same keybind would not make sense as keybinds are shared across the same account. The odds of trait template 5 and equipment template 2 matching up across all your characters is very slim.

It's amazing how poorly thought out the implementation is. If only they'd engaged with their playerbase to figure out what the actual requirements were but they don't seem to value those kind of engagements.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:they're looking at making it si that you can keybind both a trait template and equipment template to the same keybind.

(ref. from the stream)

Having the ability to
associate
a particular equipment template with a particular trait template would make sense. The same equipment template could be used by different trait templates.

Having two templates use the same keybind would not make sense as keybinds are shared across the same account. The odds of trait template 5 and equipment template 2 matching up across
all
your characters is very slim.

It's amazing how poorly thought out the implementation is. If only they'd engaged with their playerbase to figure out what the actual requirements were but they don't seem to value those kind of engagements.

Yea we as players should only shut up and hand over money.

@Pifil.5193 said:

(ref. from the stream)

Having the ability to
associate
a particular equipment template with a particular trait template would make sense. The same equipment template could be used by different trait templates.

Having two templates use the same keybind would not make sense as keybinds are shared across the same account. The odds of trait template 5 and equipment template 2 matching up across
all

I dont want them to be the same. I rather they stay two seperate things and optional to link up.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

(ref. from the stream)

Having the ability to
associate

all

I dont want them to be the same. I rather they stay two seperate things and optional to link up.

That's what I said, give them the ability to be associated with one another. That gives you the choice of doing so if you want to but doesn't mean you have to do so.

@Linken.6345 said:

(ref. from the stream)

Having the ability to
associate

all

Yea we as players should only shut up and hand over money.

It does seem to me that the monetization drove the design here.

I also find it weird to split gear and traits/skills. A build is by definition the combination of these 2 components.

So it makes little sense to have to go to different places to load a single build. And the 3rd panel, the account bound build storage, just adds to the confusion in my opinion.

I believe though that they are limited because that's the way the system works inherently and splits these traits /skills and gear "at source".

My preferred implementation would be to just have the current account bound build storage panel, except that the builds stored also factor in gear and the limit is higher than 24.

You click on the build in that left panel, it loads up everything. Clean.

@"Hugs.1856" said:I also find it weird to split gear and traits/skills. A build is by definition the combination of these 2 components.

So it makes little sense to have to go to different places to load a single build. And the 3rd panel, the account bound build storage, just adds to the confusion in my opinion.

I believe though that they are limited because that's the way the system works inherently and splits these traits /skills and gear "at source".

My preferred implementation would be to just have the current account bound build storage panel, except that the builds stored also factor in gear and the limit is higher than 24.

No Builds are your Traits and Skills.

Equipment is totally different, which is why they both currently handled by two different tabs in the game.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Hugs.1856" said:I also find it weird to split gear and traits/skills. A build is by definition the combination of these 2 components.

Equipment is totally different, which is why they both currently handled by two different tabs in the game.

No. Builds are traits, skills and equipment including runes and sigils. They always were.

The fact that ArenaNet are splitting them into two doesn't change that. A set of traits and skills for a DPS build makes no sense if paired with a equipment for healing.

@Pifil.5193 said:

No. Builds are traits, skills and equipment including runes and sigils. They always were.

The fact that ArenaNet are splitting them into two doesn't change that. A set of traits and skills for a DPS build makes no sense if paired with a equipment for healing.

Agreed

I agree with template merging; the main reason splitting templates does not really work is because your most significant skill selection is made via equipment, i.e. weapons. Weapon choice is the centerpiece of any build, on which your other skills, traits, and equipment stats are going to be based on. A weapon set is both equipment and a selection of five skills, and in fact it would make more sense to treat them primarily as skills, because then you could feasibly reuse the same armor+trinkets with multiple skill templates, as they are just stats. But with weapons attached to equipment, the skill choices are going to be coupled to that as well. If changing this means that the account build storage no longer works, then disable it until further notice. It seems to be of questionable utility anyway.