Map position rewinder [suggestion]

Zahld.4956

It would be nice but I'm not sure the coding allows it. If they had a way to preserve your place in a map so it doesn't fill up while you're away, we'd have seen that implemented already in squad technology and possibly even in story instances. Though the latter is more an issue of the map being erased once you're out of it than it getting full.

Besides, I can see a possible griefing or even just unintentional issue. A bunch of players use the map rewinder, head to other maps ... and never come back. Now the people left in the map don't have enough to complete the meta there and the spots are reserved so they can't get any new blood in. Possibly if there were a time limit and a cooldown, so you have to return within, hmm. Three minutes? Five? Or lose your spot after all. That could do the job in crashes without permanently deleting a map position from play. Assuming the way map filling works even allows it at all, of course.

Nice idea but the game can't even remember your position when you log off and log on again. Sometimes I log out and when I come back, I'm at the starting position of the map I was in. Sometimes it's a different map. Sometimes I'm halfway stuck in a wall. When I was new to the game, I asked why this happens. Somebody joked that when we're logged out our toons go walkabout or on a bender. That's as good an explanation as any.

@"Zahld.4956" said:Position rewinder that allows a player to change to a new map and recall the position of the old map at any moment. This would let players go to other maps while waiting for an event to occur without losing position in the map.

Have you seen this device: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder would that serve your purposes?

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:Nice idea but the game can't even remember your position when you log off and log on again. Sometimes I log out and when I come back, I'm at the starting position of the map I was in. Sometimes it's a different map. Sometimes I'm halfway stuck in a wall. When I was new to the game, I asked why this happens. Somebody joked that when we're logged out our toons go walkabout or on a bender. That's as good an explanation as any.

i have been playing for almost 7 yrs now, and have yet to have anything even remotely like this happen to me. ever..

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Zahld.4956" said:Position rewinder that allows a player to change to a new map and recall the position of the old map at any moment. This would let players go to other maps while waiting for an event to occur without losing position in the map.

Have you seen this device:
would that serve your purposes?

No. What the OP is talking about is say you're waiting to do Teqautl but don't want to waste an hour or so until the event spawns to have your spot on the map. You activate this proposed device then say you go do Dragon Stand.

When done you return to the copy of the map you were on and not a new one that the Megaserver system created because the previous one filled up.

The game remembers position when moving off map (wvw, mistlock sanctuary), i don't see why it couldn't track IP (like we can already do with the /ip command) and reserve a spot in the maps people count (it alreasy soft caps around 100 and it is impossible for an 151st player to enter).

Assuming that peoples assumption of the OP of it being a revert to a specific IP is correct, though, i wouldn't want that to happen because i can forsee large groups of people reserving a spot then leaving just to troll, even if unlikley to happen frequently people are people and there absolutely are guilds who would do this. I also feel like people would get 100x more bitchier about peoples right to be on the map just because they are particpating in The Big Event and people are on the map who aren't, despite the fact that no one has any more right than another to take that place.

If returning to the same IP isn't what was suggested though, i'm 100% okay with something that only retains your location.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

It would not, what the OP is asking for is being able to do for example is doing silverwaste while waiting for dragons stand to start then use the map rewinder widget to get into a full ds map instantly.

When you go into a guild hall, the game "remembers" exactly where you were when you went in and will spit you back out there as well. Dunno if open world maps might behave differently, but there's at least something similar to what the OP describes active in the game right now. I will say, however, that I can't confirm if the game remembers your instance IP or if it just remembers the map and coordinates.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Like that but you can move to a different map for a non-limited amount of time.Return to same instance but if instance is full then a new instance.

@slpr.2647 said:

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:Nice idea but the game can't even remember your position when you log off and log on again. Sometimes I log out and when I come back, I'm at the starting position of the map I was in. Sometimes it's a different map. Sometimes I'm halfway stuck in a wall. When I was new to the game, I asked why this happens. Somebody joked that when we're logged out our toons go walkabout or on a bender. That's as good an explanation as any.

i have been playing for almost 7 yrs now, and have yet to have anything even remotely like this happen to me. ever..

Perhaps your toons are well behaved. ;)

I don’t think it would work for PvE maps. The times you go to another map and return to a PvE map is when you leave the PvE maps (you go to WvW, sPvP, Mistlock Sanctuary, Guild Hall map (not a PvE map because it has PvP enabled on it)) or go inside an instance. For whatever reason it doesn’t seem possible to leave a PvE map, go to a different PvE map and auto return to the first PvE map.