Playing the game makes YouTube/Netflix lag out completely.

This doesn't happen with any other game, only with GW2. Whenever I even open the launcher, Netflix/YouTube crawls to a halt, if it starts to play again it's with a lot of lag, to the point that they are unwatchable. And it isn't just the browser I am using, as I have tested it with several browsers and it's happening on all of them.

I am able to play GW2 just fine without running either of those things and listen to music, but as you can imagine, this isn't ideal. I have a second monitor and like to watch things on it (that's why I got it to begin with)..

It's getting to the point where I'm wanting to play GW2 but I know I won't be able to watch my shows whilst playing it so I go and play something else instead because at least then Netflix won't splutter and die.

Anybody know what's causing this and how I can maybe fix it?

Ya, I have the same problem, and it is probably CPU I guess.What I do is pause the youtube video whenever I'm loading a map or opening the game. For me it's mostly the intensive operations like loading a new map that cause it to stall completely, so I just keep it paused and unpause when it's done, usually works.

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60 GHzGraphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960Motherboard: Gigabyte Techology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2PRAM: 8.00 GB.2 SSD's installed; 1 120gb for boot, 1 1tb for general usage including games.

Not sure if you need any more information but that's what I could find.

@"SoulSlavocracy.4902" - I'll definitely try this, but it does seem odd to me that it would even be doing this when I'm on the launcher, not even in game. But if it helps to alleviate the issues even a little bit, it's worth a shot.

I'm assuming by lag you mean it's skipping frames, where you may see the same frame for several seconds while the audio still plays. This is normal for videos playing in the background when the program in focus is using most of the CPU. You can reduce this by giving the video a higher priority by pressing ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager > details > right click the process > priority > above normal or high.

@Healix.5819 said:I'm assuming by lag you mean it's skipping frames, where you may see the same frame for several seconds while the audio still plays. This is normal for videos playing in the background when the program in focus is using most of the CPU. You can reduce this by giving the video a higher priority by pressing ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager > details > right click the process > priority > above normal or high.

It does do what you describe, but it'll also just decide to lag out completely, freezing the video and forcing me to have to refresh in order to get it working again. I did what you just said to do, but there are like 7+ different processes all called opera.exe and I don't know which one I need to do, so I went ahead and did it on the one using the most memory at the time and it didn't reduce the issue, it's still lagging/freezing.

@millerwolf.9178 said:

@Healix.5819 said:I'm assuming by lag you mean it's skipping frames, where you may see the same frame for several seconds while the audio still plays. This is normal for videos playing in the background when the program in focus is using most of the CPU. You can reduce this by giving the video a higher priority by pressing ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager > details > right click the process > priority > above normal or high.

It does do what you describe, but it'll also just decide to lag out completely, freezing the video and forcing me to have to refresh in order to get it working again. I did what you just said to do, but there are like 7+ different processes all called opera.exe and I don't know which one I need to do, so I went ahead and did it on the one using the most memory at the time and it didn't reduce the issue, it's still lagging/freezing.

Use a different browser as a test and uninstall Opera for now and play while listening to music on youtube on Firefox instead to see how it goes. It might just be an issue with your browser somehow ( Or Flashplayer), maybe malware or a virus or a bitcoin miner. In that case do a scan on your system to be sure with several virus scanners like Kaspersky,,Malware bytes,UnhackMe,Rkill,Spyhunter,Spybot,Roguekiller,Hitman. To be sure youre clean. I dont think nowadays any pc should have the issues you describe. If the above things i mentioned did not help maybe also try a full clean reinstall of all your drivers, mobo + audio + internet + gpu etc.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

Use a different browser as a test and uninstall Opera for now and play while listening to music on youtube on Firefox instead to see how it goes. It might just be an issue with your browser somehow ( Or Flashplayer), maybe malware or a virus or a bitcoin miner. In that case do a scan on your system to be sure with several virus scanners like Kaspersky,,Malware bytes,UnhackMe,Rkill,Spyhunter,Spybot,Roguekiller,Hitman. To be sure youre clean. I dont think nowadays any pc should have the issues you describe. If the above things i mentioned did not help maybe also try a full clean reinstall of all your drivers, mobo + audio + internet + gpu etc.

I've already tested it on different browsers as I mentioned in my original post.I've done a scan of my computer with MalwareBytes and it's saying I'm all good.Also I happen to know it's not just me who has this issue, I've seen several posts on Reddit describing my exact issue, tried the solutions they give and they don't work. All of them reference GW2 being a CPU intensive game however, like @Taygus.4571 said.

"GameGPU does testing on a wide array of games, and the FX-4100 is the slowest CPU they still do testing on. In Rise of Tomb Raider, in their test scene, they found the FX to average 28fps with frequent dips down to 20. For me, this is below the threshold of playable, and would be frustrating."

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-fx-4100-good-for-gaming.2867198/

Time to watch on your phone. Your cpu just can't handle gw2 plus streaming.

@"Taygus.4571" said:"GameGPU does testing on a wide array of games, and the FX-4100 is the slowest CPU they still do testing on. In Rise of Tomb Raider, in their test scene, they found the FX to average 28fps with frequent dips down to 20. For me, this is below the threshold of playable, and would be frustrating."

Okay. Good to know. I guess its time to upgrade.

@"Taygus.4571" said:"GameGPU does testing on a wide array of games, and the FX-4100 is the slowest CPU they still do testing on. In Rise of Tomb Raider, in their test scene, they found the FX to average 28fps with frequent dips down to 20. For me, this is below the threshold of playable, and would be frustrating."

If thats the case then he should try to free up as much resources as he can. For starters if youre on win 10 google around how to disable all the bloatware and disable most background processes you dont need,that alone can make a difference. And using something like Process lasso maybe to adjust processes and give more priority to the ones you use actively compared to the ones taking up process power which can be used on your most active ones like your browser + games.

@millerwolf.9178 "I've done a scan of my computer with MalwareBytes and it's saying I'm all good"

Do not rely on just one scanner. Certain virus scanners like the ones i mentioned are able to pick up more than malware bytes does. It takes a while but its worth it. You install one scanner make a full scan ,uninstall and go to the next and rinse repeat.

@millerwolf.9178 said:

If you're going to upgrade, go for an intel. As you can see in the link, the image. they all rank higher. And this is usually the case.Total core speed isn't always enough to go on, on what the is cpu is actually capable of handling.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:"GameGPU does testing on a wide array of games, and the FX-4100 is the slowest CPU they still do testing on. In Rise of Tomb Raider, in their test scene, they found the FX to average 28fps with frequent dips down to 20. For me, this is below the threshold of playable, and would be frustrating."

If you're going to upgrade, go for an intel. As you can see in the link, the image. they all rank higher. And this is usually the case.Total core speed isn't always enough to go on, on what the is cpu is actually capable of handling.

Thanks for the advice. I think what I'm going to end up doing is probably buying a new PC altogether, this one I've had for quite a few years and I can do with an upgrade. What would you recommend for a GPU that would be able to handle GW2 and streaming video?