Absolutely wasted 21 bucks on Black Lion Keys (salty sob story)

To be more specific, I bought 2800 Gems.Bought the glider & backpack combo for 700 (NO COMPLAINTS HERE I GOT WHAT I WANTED)

Then bought 21 keys for 2100 Gems.

After seeing the splash announcement on the Black Market screen this morning, that we could get new Halloween-skinned items for Black Lion Claim Tickets, I thought "Hey, I will put in some money and support the developers and keep the game going, and get a nice skin while I am at it."

Do you know how many Black Lion Claim Tickets I got?

Do you know how many Black Lion scrap things I got?

6-7. I already had two I believe, thus bringing my total to 9.

How many scrap items = one Black Lion Claim Ticket? 10.

So basically, 21 bucks down the drain, didn't get a single good item.

I can understand trying to make money off of this stuff, but frankly, I got pretty scr3w3d on this deal.I had absolutely NO problem spending the money in the first place, but I guess my assumption I would actually get one of those weapon skins was completely in la-la-land.

Lesson learned. How likely am I going to be in the future to spend money and buy gems?

@yann.1946 said:[...]

And as a side note you supported the developers the moment you bought the gems. Not the moment you bought something from the store.While this is true, but what Randulf wrote is probably even more important. Metrics on what sell in the store would dictate how they add things stronger than just the sale of gems.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:The amount is irrelevant. Any amount of money is wasted by default when spent on gambling.

It's like throwing money into a fire and complaining because they got burnt.

No, it isn't. You spend money on gambling for the 'thrill' of gambling, just as if you paid $5.00 to ride a roller coaster.

The mistake is thinking that you are spending money on gambling in order to win something; that's just the cherry on the sundae.

@"Fellwitch.4536" said:After seeing the splash announcement on the Black Market screen this morning, that we could get new Halloween-skinned items for Black Lion Claim Tickets, I thought "Hey, I will put in some money and support the developers and keep the game going, and get a nice skin while I am at it."

You simply thought wrong, this is what you should've thought:"Hey, I will put in some money and support the developers and keep the game going, and have a chance to get a nice skin while I am at it."Sorry if I'm rude, I know your feel but it's really well advised that it's just a CHANCE you're buying when you buy BLCs.

@"Fellwitch.4536" said:... but I guess my assumption I would actually get one of those weapon skins was completely in la-la-land.

Yes, this assumption was a mistake. Congratulations. You have now seen just how "surprise mechanics" (aka gamble boxes) work.

Be grateful you didn't fall for the other assumptions: the gambler's fallacy that you are due for a change of luck; and the sunk-cost fallacy that you should continue to pour money into getting the desired item so that the initial money was not "wasted."

Lesson learned. How likely am I going to be in the future to spend money and buy gems?

Randulf is correct. As long as people buy keys (either with gems or gold), and as long as laws don't interfere, gaming companies will continue to milk consumers with these boxes. I don't even buy BL weapon skins on the TP anymore, because even that supports the system. While I would buy a skin I like at a price I considered reasonable, apparently the "what the market will bear" price is not enough, and I'm not part of ANet's target market.

@Randulf.7614 said:And now you have added to their metrics of bought gems + keys and the continued justification of them doing it. You got nothing and they got everything.

The house always wins - if you buy keys you need the mindset that you want to lose the money and get nothing in return.

Or, the other option...don't expect to get anything good from only 21 keys...ever, if you're going to use keys you might as well go whole hog and by at least a 100 to start with.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:The amount is irrelevant. Any amount of money is wasted by default when spent on gambling.

It's like throwing money into a fire and complaining because they got burnt.

No, it isn't. You spend money on gambling for the 'thrill' of gambling, just as if you paid $5.00 to ride a roller coaster.

The mistake is thinking that you are spending money on gambling in order to win something; that's just the cherry on the sundae.

100% agree. If people actually realise this their would be no problem.