Scrapper feels... wrong — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Engineer

Scrapper feels... wrong

Hey!

I recently started playing again after quite some time. I've been on and off, hoping PvP was a bit alive again, but shocker, it ain't. I'm an engi main, and started looking at builds again. I've fallen in love with engi back in the days when soldier's amulet was mandatory on engi. Quite some time ago.

So what do I play now? I looked at holo, but that's not my playstyle. I'll go warrior if I want to be swinging swords at people while having crazy sustain. But luckily there is core and scrapper. I used to play scrapper quite a bit, so let's go!

Gyro's are wells now, great! Awesome improvement! Then I look at the traitline... What a mess! Here is a list of what I noticed (focussed on PvP):

  • Impact Savant: The fact that this trait is so focussed on strike damage, shows how much this line blocks out any condition builds. Just why do you make this a mandatory trait for scrapper? Make this a GM trait or something so that condi builds don't get this useless piece.
  • Superspeed: Scrapper used to have so much sustain with Rapid Regeneration. Now that that is removed, why on earth do I want so much superspeed? 5% damage increase is fun and some extra movement, but for a spec that is so focussed on giving superspeed, give us something that is worth using superspeed for.
  • System Shocker: The improvements, are quite worthless. In PvP, stability is handed out so much that daze duration doesn't matter. We get perma swiftness anyways, and bolts are just meh. Maybe actually increase their effect? 2 stacks of vulnerability instead of double duration? Stun instead of daze? idk, but make it more useful.
  • Appied Force: Quickness is kitten on almost every scrapper build. Why would you want to have quickness on hammer? So that your block lasts 0.75s shorter? So that your reflect lasts 0.5s shorter? Great. On condi builds, why. The trait gives improved power, again, antisynergy.

TL;DR: The traitline is too focussed on one single niche. Make superspeed feel actually worth using, and free other builds by not limiting it to power.

Comments

  • Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @The V.8759 said:
    Hey!

    I recently started playing again after quite some time. I've been on and off, hoping PvP was a bit alive again, but shocker, it ain't. I'm an engi main, and started looking at builds again. I've fallen in love with engi back in the days when soldier's amulet was mandatory on engi. Quite some time ago.

    So what do I play now? I looked at holo, but that's not my playstyle. I'll go warrior if I want to be swinging swords at people while having crazy sustain. But luckily there is core and scrapper. I used to play scrapper quite a bit, so let's go!

    Gyro's are wells now, great! Awesome improvement! Then I look at the traitline... What a mess! Here is a list of what I noticed (focussed on PvP):

    • Impact Savant: The fact that this trait is so focussed on strike damage, shows how much this line blocks out any condition builds. Just why do you make this a mandatory trait for scrapper? Make this a GM trait or something so that condi builds don't get this useless piece.
    • Superspeed: Scrapper used to have so much sustain with Rapid Regeneration. Now that that is removed, why on earth do I want so much superspeed? 5% damage increase is fun and some extra movement, but for a spec that is so focussed on giving superspeed, give us something that is worth using superspeed for.
    • System Shocker: The improvements, are quite worthless. In PvP, stability is handed out so much that daze duration doesn't matter. We get perma swiftness anyways, and bolts are just meh. Maybe actually increase their effect? 2 stacks of vulnerability instead of double duration? Stun instead of daze? idk, but make it more useful.
    • Appied Force: Quickness is kitten on almost every scrapper build. Why would you want to have quickness on hammer? So that your block lasts 0.75s shorter? So that your reflect lasts 0.5s shorter? Great. On condi builds, why. The trait gives improved power, again, antisynergy.

    TL;DR: The traitline is too focussed on one single niche. Make superspeed feel actually worth using, and free other builds by not limiting it to power.

    Agreed until the last point. Observe what happens when you're able to spam hammer autos for a few seconds with quickness, quickness is huge for hammer.

    twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah applied force is actually a strong trait for power builds thats also designed to build might.

    For me, its impact savant that kills the scrapper. I've been running vanilla condi engie in WvW roaming since the patch hit because its pretty much tankier than the scrapper line for condi. The old regular power builds arent nearly as impacted (huehuehue).

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

  • @Dawdler.8521 said:
    Yeah applied force is actually a strong trait for power builds thats also designed to build might.

    For me, its impact savant that kills the scrapper. I've been running vanilla condi engie in WvW roaming since the patch hit because its pretty much tankier than the scrapper line for condi. The old regular power builds arent nearly as impacted (huehuehue).

    Fair, applied force might still be useful.
    However, I just feel like there is barely any synergy within and with other specs for Scrapper.

  • @Dawdler.8521 said:
    Yeah applied force is actually a strong trait for power builds thats also designed to build might.

    For me, its impact savant that kills the scrapper. I've been running vanilla condi engie in WvW roaming since the patch hit because its pretty much tankier than the scrapper line for condi. The old regular power builds arent nearly as impacted (huehuehue).

    would you mind sharing a build? i am really curious as to what you're running in wvw. thanks a lot!

  • XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

    Quickness does not and never has reduced Blocking duration for any class, and likewise Slowness doesn't increase it either.

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kami.8964 said:

    @Dawdler.8521 said:
    Yeah applied force is actually a strong trait for power builds thats also designed to build might.

    For me, its impact savant that kills the scrapper. I've been running vanilla condi engie in WvW roaming since the patch hit because its pretty much tankier than the scrapper line for condi. The old regular power builds arent nearly as impacted (huehuehue).

    would you mind sharing a build? i am really curious as to what you're running in wvw. thanks a lot!

    Just a bog standard tools/firearms/alchemy trailblazer build with speed runes.

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

  • @XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    Quickness does not and never has reduced Blocking duration for any class, and likewise Slowness doesn't increase it either.

    According to wiki:
    Skills with a movement component, such as Savage Leap, or that block, evade, or make you invulnerable for a duration, like Crystal Hibernation or Renewed Focus, are not affected by quickness.
    Most skills that block or evade that have an attack component, such as Blurred Frenzy or Shock Shield, are affected by quickness, though there are exceptions, such as Unrelenting Assault.

    I tested this, and it is affected by quickness.

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    They are actually looking into making condis work with impact savant. It was mentioned by the devs during the possible upcoming changes last month.

  • Handin.4032Handin.4032 Member ✭✭✭

    It does seem like the develops have been really pushing for scrapper to have superspeed and quickness, but at the same time the hammer is quite slow and the gyros are not affected at all by these. So, I have yet to understand why they keep pushing this - have any of them actually tried to playing scrapper out of a PvE loot farm?

  • Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭

    @The V.8759 said:

    @XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    Quickness does not and never has reduced Blocking duration for any class, and likewise Slowness doesn't increase it either.

    According to wiki:
    Skills with a movement component, such as Savage Leap, or that block, evade, or make you invulnerable for a duration, like Crystal Hibernation or Renewed Focus, are not affected by quickness.
    Most skills that block or evade that have an attack component, such as Blurred Frenzy or Shock Shield, are affected by quickness, though there are exceptions, such as Unrelenting Assault.

    I tested this, and it is affected by quickness.

    So that's another nerf on sustainabilty for Scrapper? Ever since the new nerf team took over, it has been nothing but nerfs for the Scrapper in every patch. Boooo...

  • Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mil.3562 said:

    @The V.8759 said:

    @XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    Quickness does not and never has reduced Blocking duration for any class, and likewise Slowness doesn't increase it either.

    According to wiki:
    Skills with a movement component, such as Savage Leap, or that block, evade, or make you invulnerable for a duration, like Crystal Hibernation or Renewed Focus, are not affected by quickness.
    Most skills that block or evade that have an attack component, such as Blurred Frenzy or Shock Shield, are affected by quickness, though there are exceptions, such as Unrelenting Assault.

    I tested this, and it is affected by quickness.

    So that's another nerf on sustainabilty for Scrapper? Ever since the new nerf team took over, it has been nothing but nerfs for the Scrapper in every patch. Boooo...

    Most of the nerfs scrapper has received have been incidental. Scrapper receives a huge number of indirect nerfs because the devs seem to forget about it pretty often.

    The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!