Speed runes.

Eddbopkins.2630

• 1 month later...

I ran (pardon the pun) a few tests with speed runes and didn't find any increase to speed above the 33%. Resounding Timber doesn't seem to effect commands although they say 99% ( 66% because of tool tip bug) Theirs no difference to the regular 33% speed. Runes are suppose to give 33% and 66% when under the effects of swiftness. But no skill or trait on my ranger seem to have any effect.

@Mokk.2397 said:I ran (pardon the pun) a few tests with speed runes and didn't find any increase to speed above the 33%. Resounding Timber doesn't seem to effect commands although they say 99% ( 66% because of tool tip bug) Theirs no difference to the regular 33% speed. Runes are suppose to give 33% and 66% when under the effects of swiftness. But no skill or trait on my ranger seem to have any effect.You mean that you found that the runes didn’t give you any bonus speed when under the effect of swiftness? It definitely worked when I last used it. Were you in combat when testing it? Out of combat speed has a cap somewhere around 35-40% movement speed, so you won’t see any noticeable increase unless you’re actually in combat.

@Undo.5091 said:

@Mokk.2397 said:I ran (pardon the pun) a few tests with speed runes and didn't find any increase to speed above the 33%. Resounding Timber doesn't seem to effect commands although they say 99% ( 66% because of tool tip bug) Theirs no difference to the regular 33% speed. Runes are suppose to give 33% and 66% when under the effects of swiftness. But no skill or trait on my ranger seem to have any effect.You mean that you found that the runes didn’t give you any bonus speed when under the effect of swiftness? It definitely worked when I last used it. Were you in combat when testing it? Out of combat speed has a cap somewhere around 35-40% movement speed, so you won’t see any noticeable increase unless you’re actually in combat.

I tried it in both PvE and WvW in areas that aren't effected by external influences . I picked a couple markers like two trees and run from one to the other timing myself . I found no difference in time with just regular 33% movment speed using a buff without runes and and having runes on with swiftness buff. Just thought it was weird.

@Mokk.2397 said:

I tried it in both PvE and WvW in areas that aren't effected by external influences . I picked a couple markers like two trees and run from one to the other timing myself . I found no difference in time with just regular 33% movment speed using a buff without runes and and having runes on with swiftness buff. Just thought it was weird.

There's no difference ooc. But you do run faster in combat. In all cases movement speed is capped at 133% normal speed. Only exception is Weaver gm trait which enhances swiftness.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:99% speed runes on every toon is terrible. And I don't know anyone who doesn't run it.

@"Mokk.2397" said:I ran (pardon the pun) a few tests with speed runes and didn't find any increase to speed above the 33%. Resounding Timber doesn't seem to effect commands although they say 99% ( 66% because of tool tip bug) Theirs no difference to the regular 33% speed. Runes are suppose to give 33% and 66% when under the effects of swiftness. But no skill or trait on my ranger seem to have any effect.

Not sure you guys are understanding what it does. Ignore the tooltips and what you think and listen to this explanation:

What Rune of Speed is doing, is making it so that "if swiftness is on" a character never incurs the in-combat movement penalty. So when you hit a player and enter combat "with swiftness on", you do not slow at all. While out of combat however, you move the same speed as anyone else who had a swift buff that was out of combat. This rune only works when you are in-combat.

Rune of Speed is doing nothing to enhance out of combat rotations. Rune of Speed on the other hand, does make it easy to kite opponents in-combat who do not have the Rune of Speed, unless they are on something with teleports or heavy gap closers to follow you.

On a side note, I use Rune of Speed on a Berserker Soulbeast DPS spec. I rarely see other players who are using Rune of Speed and able to make pace with me. Even when I do see players with Rune of Speed, it's still providing nothing in the way of chase or disengage potential next to common skills that front load instant no animation offensive teleportations, or very long range ground target teleports & gap closers.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:What Rune of Speed is doing, is making it so that "if swiftness is on" a character never incurs the in-combat movement penalty. So when you hit a player and enter combat "with swiftness on", you do not slow at all. While out of combat however, you move the same speed as anyone else who had a swift buff that was out of combat. This rune only works when you are in-combat.

Rune of Speed doesn’t remove the combat movement penalty. It’s only increasing your in-combat movement speed by 66% instead of 33% while under the effect of swiftness. You will still move slower than someone who is out of combat with swiftness on.

@Undo.5091 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:What Rune of Speed is doing, is making it so that "if swiftness is on" a character never incurs the in-combat movement penalty. So when you hit a player and enter combat "with swiftness on", you do not slow at all. While out of combat however,
you move the same speed
as anyone else who had a swift buff that was out of combat. This rune only works when you are in-combat.

Rune of Speed doesn’t remove the combat movement penalty. It’s only increasing your in-combat movement speed by 66% instead of 33% while under the effect of swiftness. You will still move slower than someone who is out of combat with swiftness on.

That's not true at all. You should go in-game and actually run some tests on this.

You'll see that if you enter combat while wearing rune of speed, by say hitting a golem, and if you have swiftness on and run alongside of a player who is out of combat who also has swiftness on, you will both move exactly the same speed. But if the person who is not wearing rune speed were to also hit the golem, he would begin moving 33% slower than you, even if he still had swiftness on. The rune does absolutely nothing for anyone when players are all out of combat. It only works in-combat by allowing the wearer to ignore in-combat movement penalty.

It isn't "technically" removing the in-combat penalty, but the way Arenanet has it set with the % gain, it creates an effect to where that is pretty much what's happening. But you have to have Swiftness on for that to be in effect.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:99% speed runes on every toon is terrible. And I don't know anyone who doesn't run it.

most things that are not necromancer wont run this rune because they dont need to. They have ports or super speed or leap/rush mobility in their weapon skills. The only class who does not have this for common use in their weapon kits is necormancers which is why ding ding ding.... you guessed it... its a more common rune for them to use.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:What Rune of Speed is doing, is making it so that "if swiftness is on" a character never incurs the in-combat movement penalty. So when you hit a player and enter combat "with swiftness on", you do not slow at all. While out of combat however,
you move the same speed
as anyone else who had a swift buff that was out of combat. This rune only works when you are in-combat.

That's not true at all. You should go in-game and actually run some tests on this.

You'll see that if you enter combat while wearing rune of speed, by say hitting a golem, and if you have swiftness on and run alongside of a player who is out of combat who also has swiftness on, you will both move exactly the same speed. But if the person who is not wearing rune speed were to also hit the golem, he would begin moving 33% slower than you, even if he still had swiftness on. The rune does absolutely nothing for anyone when players are all out of combat. It only works in-combat by allowing the wearer to ignore in-combat movement penalty.

It isn't "technically" removing the in-combat penalty, but the way Arenanet has it set with the % gain, it creates an effect to where that is pretty much what's happening. But you have to have Swiftness on for that to be in effect.

Basically this ^ Trevor is correct

While this is technically some what true that it feels like there is not a in combat penalty there still is one... also its not an issue for the simple reason that some one else running the run cancels out the benefit of the rune. Not to mention the counter-play of just removing the targets swiftness to disable the benefit.If everyone was using it no one would complain about it because ideally the game would remain for the most part unchanged. Any profession thats generally got access to more mobility than another one would still have more mobility than the other in the end if both used the speed rune.

IF someone is complaining about speed rune it means that obviously everyone is not using it because if everyone was using no one would have an issue catching their targets or them out running you.

Ideally if everyone used speed rune its the same as the game just not having the rune at all.

Heck even quite a few professions now have access to swiftness effectiveness increases or bast movement speed increases without speed rune. Weaver and Rev herald are both good examples here. Others (ranger, engi, thief, warrior) have access to super speed, blinks or generous leap or movment skills which removes the need for adding things base speed increase traits like that to those professions.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:What Rune of Speed is doing, is making it so that "if swiftness is on" a character never incurs the in-combat movement penalty. So when you hit a player and enter combat "with swiftness on", you do not slow at all. While out of combat however,
you move the same speed

Tests that are in the mist don't count cuz everyone is given a running buff. Specifically the out of combat people.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

you move the same speed

Tests that are in the mist don't count cuz everyone is given a running buff. Specifically the out of combat people.

Alright, look:

What you're referring to is this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Advanced_Logistics "Applies Leader of the Pact III (a 33% speed boost) to all members of your party in cities." which overlaps with normal swiftness and is still effected by in combat movement penalty normally. So when you are running a test with two players who both had 100% uptime of swiftness and Leader of the Pact III running, where neither player had rune of speed on, the Leader of the Pact III is doing absolutely nothing at all to create a difference in mechanics vs. a scenario where both players had 100% swiftness uptime but no Leader of the Pact III. This is because both the normal 100% Swiftness and LOTP III are both overlapping a 33% movement buff, that are both effected normally by in-combat movement penalty, which is -33% when entering combat, and it effects ALL of your overlapping +33% movement bonuses, as well as +25% "Warrior's Sprint" like bonuses, and even Super Speed. But this case scenario, we are only discussing a situation where both players have 2x 33% buffs, swiftness and LOTP III.

The only difference happens when 1 player equips rune of speed. Now, when both players enter combat with swiftness on and leader of the pack, the player with the rune of speed's 6th rune effect kicks in, and his swiftness buff turns into a 66%, which negates the -33% movement penalty normally granted. So the +66% transcends the overlapping of the normal swift 33 mixing with LOTP III 33, and becomes only a +66% minus 33% from in-combat movement penalty, and becomes a +33% movement bonus while in combat vs. the other guy with only a +0% in combat, because his normal swiftness & LOTP III are negated by the movement penalty. This is what happens, and this is why an in-combat speed rune wearing character can move exactly as fast at +33%, as an out of combat non speed rune wearing player who currently has swiftness on who is moving at also +33%. Having LOTP III or not, makes absolutely no difference in this equation.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Undo.5091" said:Rune of Speed doesn’t remove the combat movement penalty. It’s only increasing your in-combat movement speed by 66% instead of 33% while under the effect of swiftness. You will still move slower than someone who is out of combat with swiftness on.

https://youtu.be/nI_5iJhT2LE[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/fGEQ1qyghDw[/youtube]

@"Undo.5091" Yup, you're right. That is actually working that way.

So to correct my statement, you move "roughly as fast" as a non rune of speed while wearing rune of speed, while both are out of combat. The person wearing rune of speed is moving a small margin faster, 5% or something weird like that.

And then while the rune of speed is in combat, an out of combat non rune of speed, is still moving quite a bit faster. It looks to be a good 10% faster actually. But still, the rune of speed is able to keep relative pace with the person out of combat.

But when both the rune of speed and non rune of speed or both in combat, the rune of speed is definitely moving a good 25% to 33% faster for sure. There is no doubt about that. I just tested & recorded a session of this myself. I can upload it if anyone requests it, otherwise I won't waste my time.

Thing is, these numbers are kind of like... not adding up with how you'd think it would work. I'm actually rather confused about how the game engine is equating this, concerning how in-combat movement penalty works vs. no bonus movement and bonus movement, as well as the actual cap of movement speed, which is clearly not what patch notes are telling us. I think where this gets weird, is the numbers are probably working the same way that damage equations work. Where 1000 damage + 50% bonus + 50% = 2225 multiplicatively, rather than = 2000 additively. So when you have a no bonus flat movement rate, the in combat penalty is actually subtracting less movement speed, than from a movement rate that has a lot of bonus. What I mean is it must be working like this: (flat movement rate + 33% swift) - in combat penalty % = actual movement speed. or without swift: (flat movement rate + nothing) - in combat penalty % = actual movement speed. In other words, the greater the movement bonus you possess, the harder the in combat penalty hits you, because whatever that penalty % actually is, it goes into effect AFTER the movement bonuses become a whole number first. This definitely makes sense because, if you had ever set your character to "Walk" and then entered combat, the in-combat penalty is much lighter than the movement lost while running. Whatever is going on here, it seems to be a -% vs. the current whole number movement.

Well if anything, this discussion goes to show that rune of speed is really not doing as much as people claim that it is. While in combat vs. an opponent who is also in combat, you get to move like 25% faster than he does. That's about it. And then a boon remove can quickly rob you of that effect.

Movement speed has already been fairly extensively covered by those who contribute to the GW2 Wiki. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_SpeedThey provide the rough (but accurate) units per second (UPS - not the postal service) that a character travels in and out of combat. Once you take those numbers, you just apply the buffs that are able to stack with one another. Just take into note that 400 UPS is the apparent cap according to the wiki. Also note that most speed-oriented traits do not stack with swiftness at all.

Swiftness (Out of combat) => 294 UPS 1.33 = ~391 UPSSwiftness w/ Speed (Out of combat) => 294 UPS 1.66 = 400 UPS (Capped at 400)Swiftness (In combat) => 210 UPS 1.33 = ~279 UPSSwiftness w/ Speed (In combat) => 210 UPS 1.66 = ~349 UPSSwiftness w/ Speed & 5 stacks of Rising Momentum (In combat) => 210 UPS * (1.66 + .25) = 400 UPS (Capped at 400)

The above are just assumptions that I've made. I'm not saying that they are the actual formulas used or that they are accurate in the slightest bit, but they could help if someone wanted to understand how it works.