New player, hit 80 the other day. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New player, hit 80 the other day.

Hey. I don't know what to do now that I'm 80. I've obviously googled this, but all I can find is what I CAN do.

Example - guides tell me to use a build on a webpage. They use a lot more hero points than I have. I try to pick them up, but it's just sooo slow. So I try googling if there's a way to get them quicker. It tells me to lfg and find a hp train. So I do that. The first thing they do is run to a cliff and fly off somewhere. I can't do that.

I'm honestly sooo lost right now and just don't know where to begin. I want to do dungeons and fractals and raids - group content - asap, preferably while doing story things on my own when none of my friends are online. But I just don't know what to do, and whatever I try to do, it tells me that I need something else first that I don't have.

Best Answers

Answers

• Awesome help, I appreciate it!

Another stupid question - how do I know which maps are HoT or PoF maps? By playing through the story, by just googling, or is there a way to see it ingame?

I fear you have used a level 80 booster. In the spoiler right below you will have a small lecture about leveling a character. I have to write it. But you are free to ignore it.

I haven't. I just misunderstood a comment somewhere as that you would get all the hero points once you reached lvl 80, and that hero points on the way were more about unlocking things earlier. So I skipped a lot of them while leveling (once I found skills that I really liked), and the ones I didn't skip, I used on skills that I then never used... So once I reached 80, I had 0 hps, and the guides I find sound like the elite specs are where it's at (I play guardian), so that's what I want hps for...

• Pirogen.9561Pirogen.9561 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019

@Tumpas.4162 said:
    Awesome help, I appreciate it!

Another stupid question - how do I know which maps are HoT or PoF maps? By playing through the story, by just googling, or is there a way to see it ingame?

One simple way is Mastery panel. Press H, bottom page (Masteries). You see Heart of Thorns, Core tyria, Path of Fire. If its "grey", you are not on that map.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tumpas.4162 said:
    Awesome help, I appreciate it!

I fear you have used a level 80 booster. In the spoiler right below you will have a small lecture about leveling a character. I have to write it. But you are free to ignore it.

I haven't. I just misunderstood a comment somewhere as that you would get all the hero points once you reached lvl 80, and that hero points on the way were more about unlocking things earlier. So I skipped a lot of them while leveling (once I found skills that I really liked), and the ones I didn't skip, I used on skills that I then never used... So once I reached 80, I had 0 hps, and the guides I find sound like the elite specs are where it's at (I play guardian), so that's what I want hps for...

That's not possible. Reaching level 80 provides you with exactly enough hero points to get all core class skills and traits. Any hero points you got before reaching 80 would remain available since they do not disapear.

HoT and PoF Hero challenges also provide 10 points versus 1 from the challenges in core Tyria.

As to what you should do first:
    Find a guild.

While looking for one do what people recommended so far.

• That's not possible. Reaching level 80 provides you with exactly enough hero points to get all core class skills and traits. Any hero points you got before reaching 80 would remain available since they do not disapear.

Ok, I thought I had 0, but I might have had 10 or so then. Like I said earlier - I skipped most of them while leveling. But I need 250 to unlock one of the elite specs, and since both seem really good and interesting, I'd like to feel both of them out at least. But I didn't have many hps, and I did max out the core class skills and traits along the way. So I still need a lot of hp.

And I know that the ones that were there when I did the qs are still there, but I think it's taken me more than an hour to do that and get ten points so I can unlock more traits from the elite specs, so it simply wasn't any fun. Now that I know I can do the expansion zones to get more hps, I'll do that. And I know to get some better gear and get a glider - I've unlocked the raptor and found myself a guild now, though it doesn't seem like it's the biggest guild (most often like 1-4 ppl online other than myself, and while some are helpful, some aren't... which is understandable - people want to play the game too and not just help a newbie). So everyone here have helped me a lot and I feel a lot less lost on what to do to progress.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019

Hot maps are in the far west part of the world map, jungle maps beyond Rata Sum or Silwerwastes. First map is Verdant Brink.
    Pof maps are desert maps in the far south east of the world map. First map is Crystal Desert. You can always go to Crystal Desert with an air ship from Lion's Arch where the Pof Story begins.
    Off course you can always teleport to any way point in any of the maps once you unlocked it.

You can also freely change between the stories (core personal story, hot, pof, living world stories) you have available in you hero panel. Find the story chapter and start it. You will not lose any progress while changing them. So you can play Hot one day and freely change to Pof the next.

If you are new lvl 80 I would recommend to play the stories. Core personal story is easiest. Hot and Pof are harder but shouldn't be so hard once you learn (content quality is a big step up from the core). You will get different rewards, explore maps and way points and learn about the game in general. Open world play is really good in GW2 and is not just a filler to instanced group play like in Wow. It offers big group events that are easy raids without the player restrictions like in real raids (well up to the point when the map is full).

Explore lfg and trading post. You probably have more gold in your storage than you know.
    If you join a group and it is in another instance of the map just right click on a player in a squad and press join instance.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.