When even grinding is worthless now.........what do you do? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

When even grinding is worthless now.........what do you do?

Recently returned to the game and was halfway through my 2nd legendary last time. I'm now about 200g off finishing it, but the day to day grind is sucking the life outa me. I use the word grind loosely because as the title suggests, im finding that worthless these days. Everything has no value on the TP, except of course the real killers like mystic coins and other high demand mats. How do people make money these days? I tried to flip like i used to but it seems pointless these days with the cuttthroat competition and slimy TP tactics. I wanna survive in this game but grinding for hours for pennies is just depressing. Any tips would be appreciated.

<1

Comments

• Taygus.4571Taygus.4571 Member ✭✭✭✭

Best farms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yh487baFzsbJARil-evNdrG3KOmoncEfurElBm0CzdE/htmlview

(The volatile magic one, you have to buy mat bags with it from a volatile magoc trader or something).

Fractals are a good method to earn gold. Can net 30-50g per T4 run, if you have the fractal masteries.

Halloween lab is good too, but sell the bags in a few months for best profit.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

Grinding was always worthless since the introduction of diminishing returns. So unless you enjoy grinding brittle bones, I suggest doing something else.

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019

Just doing gemstone metas, fractal and game dailies nets you heaps. Mix up your metas, it may not be as optimal the past where you could spam Istan etc but it's at least more refreshing.

While I don't grind anymore, I still make ~20g a day just doing dailies and a few of the decent metas.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

The economy has been borked since the DF map was released. Great farm but nothing new to create demand, so prices plummet.

• I made my gold by selling legendaries. Once you sell one you can craft another in a few days-weeks to sell again, assuming you have all the account bound currencies like spirit shards and karma. If you sell 2-3, you will have around 3k gold. Farming is terrible because its based around pathetically low gold/hour gains, or ridiculously rare drops. Its designed to be addictive yet unrewarding.

• I don't grind. Personally my way of making money is to create and sell legendary weapons. Once you've got the seed money set, it's surprisingly good profit, especially if you don't sell the t6 mats and upgrade the t5 into t6.

However, I do have sort of a daily rotation that I used to do. See, all of the map metas have a once per day loot that's about 1 gold, alongside of all the other treasure chests that they award. So, if I want to earn gold, I just bounce around doing these:

Auric Basin
    Verdant Brink
    Tangled Depths
    Crystal Oasis
    Elon Riverlands
    The Desolation
    Domain of Vabbi
    Domain of Istan

There's many more out there, like in the LWS4 maps. However, doing all of these usually eats up my free time. However, there are other places to consider:

Treasure Mushroom Hunting (the 5 outside of Dragon's Stand)
    Dragon's Stand
    Thunderhead Keep
    Daily t4 and CM fractals
    Drytop Treasure Hunt

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• @Taygus.4571 said:
    Best farms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yh487baFzsbJARil-evNdrG3KOmoncEfurElBm0CzdE/htmlview

(The volatile magic one, you have to buy mat bags with it from a volatile magoc trader or something).

Fractals are a good method to earn gold. Can net 30-50g per T4 run, if you have the fractal masteries.

Not trying to be rude, but what planet are you living on where fractals bring in 30-50g a run? I have had fractal mastery since it was released and Average 6g-12g for a full T4 run. And even that isn't fantastic.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019

@Justin.5231 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:
    Best farms.

Not trying to be rude, but what planet are you living on where fractals bring in 30-50g a run? I have had fractal mastery since it was released and Average 6g-12g for a full T4 run. And even that isn't fantastic.

Return of fractals is very subject to different factors.

1.) Are you running T4?
    2.) Are you running recommended after T4?
    3.) Are you running challenge modes (both or only 1)?
    4.) Do you have any rank of fractal god?

It is not uncommon for someone with fractal god title to get a return of 30+ gold daily when running CMs, T4 an recommended and even more.

Most important are actually recommended to new fractal runners since they make up almost half of the daily gold gained while the T4 dailies have a higher chance of dropping loot chests. Challenge modes and fractal god title just add on top.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you're only 200g away then lab farm should get you there soon enough, eg if you can farm at least two stacks of bags or more every hour - each stack is around 12g if you sell now, so anywhere between ~25 or 30+g per hour depending how casual or intensely you go about it.

Sure it'll take a few hours to rack up to 200, but I'm in a similar position to get Dawn having already crafted the other three components of Sunrise, and doing an between half an hour or an hour of this every now and then is helping to get towards placing a buy order fairly soon.

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

@Goatfish.5082 said:
    Recently returned to the game and was halfway through my 2nd legendary last time. I'm now about 200g off finishing it, but the day to day grind is sucking the life outa me. I use the word grind loosely because as the title suggests, im finding that worthless these days. Everything has no value on the TP, except of course the real killers like mystic coins and other high demand mats. How do people make money these days? I tried to flip like i used to but it seems pointless these days with the cuttthroat competition and slimy TP tactics. I wanna survive in this game but grinding for hours for pennies is just depressing. Any tips would be appreciated.

TP flipping works just fine. You might need to learn a bit of patience and do some research, though. If you have initial capital you can easily make 1000g/week on TP.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

Grinding is worthless? Sounds good ... because no one wants to grind in an MMO anyways. Just play the game. You will get what you want eventually.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019

@Obtena.7952 said:
    Grinding is worthless? Sounds good ... because no one wants to grind in an MMO anyways. Just play the game. You will get what you want eventually.

No you wont.. 7 years and still not a single legendary drop in open world PvE.. Not even a precursor..

@Obtena.7952 said:

MMOs content is the defintion of grind 😂

Designed to be repeated..over and over and over ..

edited November 4, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

No you wont.. 7 years and still not a single legendary drop in open world PvE.. Not even a precursor..

Well legendaries don’t drop.

That's their point.. you can't get legendary without some grind. That grind might be fun to you, but its still grind.( repeating a task for gold/materials/gifts)

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

That's their point.. you can't get legendary without some grind. That grind might be fun to you, but its still grind.( repeating a task for gold/materials/gifts)

Well grind is a pretty big part of MMO’s. Those that have issues with it are playing the wrong genre.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Well grind is a pretty big part of MMO’s. Those that have issues with it are playing the wrong genre.

Oh I'm not complaining :).
    The responses were to Obtena who made the claim that no one wants to grind in an mmo.

clearly this is false, being that MMOs are grind.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

MMOs content is the defintion of grind 😂

Designed to be repeated..over and over and over ..

Sure ... doesn't change what I said ... People like things fast and now.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Legendaries don't drop period. Just saying. Doesn't matter if they drop or not anyway, because they're cheap enough to buy. I haven't had a ton of legendary drops but I have 23 legendary weapons. But yeah, legendaries don't drop...period.

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

If you want a legendary, don't rely on drops. You can craft them. I've crafted three all the way without grinding anything, just using materials that had accumulated in my bank/wallet. On top of that, I was lucky enough to actually find two precursors in 7 years (one about 3 years ago in the labyrinth chest in the Silverwastes, the other just this weekend from a guard in wvw) and was able to craft those two weapons from accumulated materials, too.

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭

leg weapons

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Obtena.7952 said:
    Sure ... doesn't change what I said ... People like things fast and now.

Agreed. There is a certain segment of the player base that requires instant gratification.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

edited November 5, 2019

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Legendaries don't drop period. Just saying. Doesn't matter if they drop or not anyway, because they're cheap enough to buy. I haven't had a ton of legendary drops but I have 23 legendary weapons. But yeah, legendaries don't drop...period.

At about $300 AU no they are not cheap enough to buy.. Whay a waste of real life money anyway..

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Well if they did that would actually make them somewhat legendary then wouldn't it.. Crafting a legendary item defeats the whole purpose of it being legendary 😂

edited November 5, 2019

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

At about $300 AU no they are not cheap enough to buy.. Whay a waste of real life money anyway..

When I said they were cheap enough to buy. I meant precursors, not legendaries. To be clear.

I have NEVER bought a legendary weapon. Every one of my 23 legendary weapons I crafted. I did buy precursors however.

Edit: To be absolutely clear, I never used real money to purchase a precursor, only in game gold. I don't buy gems and sell them for gold.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

When I said they were cheap enough to buy. I meant precursors, not legendaries. To be clear.

I have NEVER bought a legendary weapon. Every one of my 23 legendary weapons I crafted. I did buy precursors however.

Edit: To be absolutely clear, I never used real money to purchase a precursor, only in game gold. I don't buy gems and sell them for gold.

In the 7 years i've played on and off in GW2 i've never had a precursor drop..

edited November 6, 2019

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Me either ... that doesn't really mean anything. I'm still right ... because drops aren't the only way to get things you want. If you played 7 years and never got a precursor to drop, you certainly should have the gold to buy it. If not, you don't play enough in the first place.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Me either ... that doesn't really mean anything. I'm still right ... because drops aren't the only way to get things you want. If you played 7 years and never got a precursor to drop, you certainly should have the gold to buy it. If not, you don't play enough in the first place.

I don't see it as right or wrong just pointless.. Its not legendary at all.

• knite.1542knite.1542 Member ✭✭✭

You can make a bit of money doing T4 fractals.
    TP flipping is easy money as well, just takes a bit of research.
    Raid selling is an option if you are skilled enough.
    If all else fails you can just buy gems and then convert them to gold. The credit card farm is pretty solid.

so you are still salty about that.

• go outside? seriously man is grinding really going to make your life better?

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

But you could buy a precursor pretty cheap regardless. I kept the first legendary I made, but I sold the second and that funded my third. I don't have an issue with buying precursors from the TP.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

But you could buy a precursor pretty cheap regardless. I kept the first legendary I made, but I sold the second and that funded my third. I don't have an issue with buying precursors from the TP.

It is also usually much cheaper and much less likely to be blocked by a bug that leaves you waiting

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

It is also usually much cheaper and much less likely to be blocked by a bug that leaves you waiting

While I agree, I did a lot of the collections too. Yeah I'm nuts. I find that stuff fun.

edited November 7, 2019

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

How is 400gold pretty cheap... I think a lot of GW2 forum customers are these whales we hear about.

No its not cheap. And i do have issue with it.

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

How is 400gold pretty cheap... I think a lot of GW2 forum customers are these whales we hear about.

400 gold for a base for a legendary is cheap. A commander tag is 300 gold. Gold is not hard to make. Just a daily reward, doing nothing else would give you a precursor in 200 days. That's assuming you don't play except for the daily and most days, the daily takes like five minutes. But if you do anything else, logically you'd get gold faster.

You don't have to farm gold to make 5-10 gold a day just playing. If you make 10 gold a day, you have a 400 gold precursor in a bit over a month. And that's not hard to do. Furthermore, if you did a collection instead of buying it, even though it costs smore, it's a process, so you can take more time,. do content, and still get it, without doing it all at once. It breaks down the steps making it easier, in some ways, than saving 400 gold for people who can't save.

People who farmed the labyrinth probably made 400 gold in a couple of weeks. But even if you're not a farmer, just selling some mats you won't be using can get you up there.

Of course, there are also precursors taht are 50 gold. You could buy a cheap one, make and sell the legendary and use the profit to buy your 400 gold precursor, which is what I did.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019

It feels like selling legendaries is just making money off someone else's credit card. I can't say I would enjoy profiting off of poor impulse control, but thats just me.

• @Hashberry.4510 said:
    It feels like selling legendaries is just making money off someone else's credit card. I can't say I would enjoy profiting off of poor impulse control, but thats just me.

I'm really confused by this logic. You could really say the same thing about any other expensive TP item that you happen to get as a rare drop. You can't control what other people do and you certainly will never stop people from spending real world money on this game.

Do you stop yourself from selling any items on the TP that are worth more than 50-100g? Because I can guarantee you that people are buying things for as low as 50g with gold they purchased through gem>gold conversion.

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

So you want to buy a Legendary precursor for what 1g, 5g,10g,50g,100g or...? 400 for a LEGENDARY is dirt cheap, you can get 5-20 in an hour by simply playing any content and 20-40 an hour by farming. 400 is trivial for the premuin long term goal in a game.

Personally I think precursors should not be sellable at all, but I get its also the premium item for people who enjoy flipping gear.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LolLookAtMyAP.8394 said:

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

So you want to buy a Legendary precursor for what 1g, 5g,10g,50g,100g or...? 400 for a LEGENDARY is dirt cheap, you can get 5-20 in an hour by simply playing any content and 20-40 an hour by farming. 400 is trivial for the premuin long term goal in a game.

Personally I think precursors should not be sellable at all, but I get its also the premium item for people who enjoy flipping gear.

Assuming 20 an hour, that's 20 hours out of my life for 400g. That's not "trivial".

Then dont make one.

• @LolLookAtMyAP.8394 said:
    Assuming 20 an hour, that's 20 hours out of my life for 400g. That's not "trivial".

Now you're just being ridiculous. "How dare Anet force me to play the game to receive in-game rewards."

And yes, 20 hours is an extremely trivial amount of time when you're talking about an MMO. That's less than a week of relaxed playing.

I'm curious. What do _you _think is an acceptable amount of time required for a player to receive a legendary? Should you get one for logging in? 20 hours is too long for you, so clearly a day 30 login reward would be too much time. Should you get one every day?

At some level you must understand that making high-demand items easy to acquire lowers their value and makes them trivial rewards.

edited November 10, 2019

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Sure it is ... you play an MMO for hundreds of those hours already ... and you don't have a problem with that. Yet somehow, 400G is out of your reach from simply playing the game? It's not ... and don't make it sound like it is because it's 'not trivial' for you, because it is trivial to you, or you wouldn't be playing in the first place.

Besides, you are just one step away from understanding why people by gold with gems ... because their time is worth more than their money. If your time to make gold in the game isn't 'trivial', you have the option to spend your money instead.

@Obtena.7952 said:
    Seriously ... if 400G is too much for you for something that is considered a long term goal, you just aren't playing enough in the first place. That's not a problem with how the game is designed. It's a problem with how committed you are with the game. Not playing enough isn't a reason to complain you can't get things you want.

No its only certain aspects get a lot of gold.. Story missions do not and map completions do not give very much gold, especially if you need the materials for crafting. The meta events, pvp, fractals etc may give a lot more i'm not sure, i'm not online for most of the main timezones to find out.

• @Obtena.7952 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Sure it is ... you play an MMO for hundreds of those hours already ... and you don't have a problem with that. Yet somehow, 400G is out of your reach from simply playing the game? It's not ... and don't make it sound like it is because it's 'not trivial' for you, because it is trivial to you, or you wouldn't be playing in the first place.

Besides, you are just one step away from understanding why people by gold with gems ... because their time is worth more than their money. If your time to make gold in the game isn't 'trivial', you have the option to spend your money instead.

Did I ever say it was out of my reach? And what do MMO hours have to do with this all I'm saying is 400g is not trivial and so are legendary weapons--I know they are huge time sinks and therefore I respect players that have them.

Trivial would be completing a map for map completion, or if we're talking gold, earning 50 gold.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Dante.1508 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Did I ever say it was out of my reach? And what do MMO hours have to do with this all I'm saying is 400g is not trivial and so are legendary weapons--I know they are huge time sinks and therefore I respect players that have them.

Trivial would be completing a map for map completion, or if we're talking gold, earning 50 gold.

Um, no ... MMO hours have EVERYTHING to do with this because you earn the gold you need by playing the game. The fact is that no, you are right it's not trivial ... but then again, no one except YOU brought the idea into this dicussion that related legendary gear to 'triviality' in the first place.

The poster's point was simple and so is mine ... you ALREADY play an appropriate amount to earn the gold for a legendary precursor. If you don't, you don't really deserve one anyways.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.