What's your favorite Living World Season 3 map?

maddoctor.2738

This is a hard one. I think I have to give the nod to Bloodstone Fen, despite some really annoying enemies, just because the new gliding skills are so much fun. It's a shame that they are restricted to that map only. Every time I pay a visit to the Fen and then go somewhere else, I'm struck by how much smoother and more enjoyable movement is on that one map.

Runners-up would be Siren's Landing and Bitterfrost Frontier, for the background lore (sylvari efforts to restore the land and the spirit of fire thing, respectively). There are no annoying White Mantle or Jade nonsense there, which also helps. Abaddon's Ascent has become one of my favourite JPs, and as for Bitterfrost, I just love snow.

There are things about each map I like quite a lot, but I find myself spending most of my time (among the 6) in Ember Bay. It just feels the most comfortable to me. When I run through the dailies for each of the new maps, I tend to linger in this one longer than most. I like the events and how frequent they are, the ease of getting around, the hearts seem fairly varied, etc. Bloosdtone Fen was a close second since this is one I always spend more time in than I intend to as well.

btw, I quite like the fact that the forum shows our vote with the post. Just a little thing, but it's nice.

Toss up between Siren's Landing and Bloodstone Fen.

I went with Siren's Landing in the end due to the annoying "shoot you out of the sky" enemies in Bloodstone Fen and the fact that Siren's Landing has one of the best Jumping Puzzles in a long long time.

I'm honestly kind of surprised how many people like Betterfrost Frontier. I guess that the map design itself is OK, but once you factor in the story, the enemies, the frost potion nonsense etc. I have a really hard time seeing how it could possibly be the best. That is, unless people don't look past the ease of acquisition of the map currency, of course...

Man it's almost impossible to choose I love lake Doric kryta is amazing and it felt perfect but I also love the shiverpeaks and bitterfrost blew me away.. draconian mons and ember bay were an entirely new region (DM felt more like a mix between jungle and ring of Fire), bloodstone fen was also tons of fun and the bloodstone stuff is so beautiful. And Orr has always been great, more of it did not disappoint. I giant spire with a ship, and reliquaries of the gods.. and a little bit of underwater!!

My favorite, Draconis Mon

Cool exploration mechanic (Grapple Hook)Incredibly beautiful to look at.Conceptually amazing.Does have mobs that massively punishes you for gliding (fucking white mantles and jade bows shooting you down and making you fall to your death).The map currency actually feels like it has a very fair drop rate.Cool story.M.O.X.Some hilarious dialogue.

The one I hate the most?Bloodstone Fen

Hyper aggressive as fuck mobs.Insane range on most mobs, making it incredibly difficult to actually glide. You'll randomly get shot down for absolutely no reason.Clutter in the sky that will turn you into a moa and make you drop to your death.THE GOD DANG BLOODSTONE RUBIES! These little shits are aggravatingly rare when you try to mine for them. So much so, that you could potetially get only 3 a day. Meanwhile your inventory gets flooded with Bloodstone Dust, which you GET A LOT OF VERY QUICKLY.Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE how you are introduced to it. But god damn is this map not annoying.

I chose lake doric simply because of its pretty much an old school linear map. There also wasn't any mechanics that were locked behind masteries like there are in bitterfrost and draconis mons. Being a really casual solo player with limited time to invest in unlocking everything asap it took me some time to get the points to unlock the masteries so i could fully appreciate these two areas.

If they were going to take away all but one of the LS3 maps, I'd vote Bitterfrost, for the loot. But...

I totally hated Draconis Mons for quite a while! Getting around is so frustrating. Finding the Zinn's chests is almost useless, and is certainly not worth the frustration for the piddly little bit of loot they contain. Oakheart Essence can be infuriating.

But in DM's favor, of all the LS3 maps, it is the one that has the most variety to offer. There's the whole druid/nature thing, there's the pact exploration sections, there's the leftover Zinn asuran stuff, like old golems, the separatist prison camp, the Inquest base, and the whole weird volcano/boiling sea thing. Mushrooms, spiders, destroyers, hidden caves full of glowy moss, diving into a bucket...Draconis Mons may drive you crazy, but it will not bore you.

I see Draconis Mons doesn't get a lot of love, but it's my favorite. Its mastery feels really useful for the map, the events repeat pretty frequently to make daily completion rather quick and painless and I absolutely love being on the ground floor looking up at the glowing mushroom ceiling.

The only thing I dislike here is the sound choice of using the music from Tequatl (Charr Triumphant) at the Lava Wurm, it just doesn't match and lacks the epic factor of the Tequatl boss fight.

For me, it is almost a tie between Bloodstone Fen and Siren's Landing, but Siren's won between the to. BF I love because I like the danger of the devastated area, plus it was a zone that I knew from GW1. So there was a bit of nostalgia there, seeing the shattered bloodstone and fighting Hablion again.

Siren's won, however, because it's another look back at pre-Cataclysm Orr. I loved the GW1 lore of the gods (so the Balthazar storyline has me both excited and wary at the same time) so being able to go back and see more of what Orrian life was like and the reliquaries was pretty awesome. As well as seeing some of them working on being reclaimed post-Zhaitan and seeing some ghosts of the old royalty.

I loved the Bitterfrost Frontier because you have different biomes, different areas for things, the hot spring, the whole thaw-to-chill sequence, the areas under the trees, and so much to explore. It felt like a bigger area than it ever was and it was huge, to begin with. It didn't feel like it took forever to slog through it either since there was so much to gather on the way that you needed and wanted.

This was a tie though, between BF and Bloodstone Fen since there was a lot of bits there that I had remembered from GW1 and that's hard to pass up on.

DAT BITTERFROST FRONTIER!!!! Dayum it was just a pretty cool map. I loved everything about that goddam map (even that darn hot water event). Draconis Mons was cool looking but it reminded myself way too much of Heart of Thorns maps (speccificly Verdant Brink), and not in the good aspects. Sirens Landings was cool looking in many parts, but it was much of the desolation we faced befored facing Zhaitan, and to be honest it was more of the same, big desolated and destroyed maps, with magnificent points of interests.

Lake Doriac. Hated it. I just..... hated it.

Bloodstone Fen, i loved the glinding and the jumping, it was a really cool goddam map, and a great way to start the season!!

I'm a slave to the winterberry grind.

And maybe it's due to the casual feel of the meta and that Bitterfrost also simultaneously draws in players just looking to grind, but the map chat also has some of the most interesting conversations I've seen playing this game... A truly insightful place.

I also just like like the map environment.

Archived