Can transmutation charges be cheaper from the gem store?

I feel as though transmutation charges are too expensive from the gem store. In my case, they are desperately needed as I like to change my wardrobe options for unknown reasons. Or maybe I am in that stage where I have not received my endgame gear yet. As another person would say, "I see people running around with all this cool stuff, and it makes me want to have cool stuff too."

Ascension gear is hard to get if I'm not raiding or am willing to spend a lot of gold on materials, including what I believe to believe some hardcore farming. I did find a shortcut, so I can coordinate my ascension gathering skills better, but it's still far away. I can't complain about the raids, because I haven't found other games that share the same mechanics as the Guild Wars 2 raid bosses. I can perceive that if they were to make any changes to making transmutation being more convenient that it would snowball into giving into more player demands, as I've seen on the internet in general.

Some players might find this cocky, but I wouldn't in any way make a suggestion that would jeopardize the development of the game.

While you're waiting for gem costs to change, just saying: the quickest ways to specifically farm transmutation charges are map-completing capital cities (you can explore 6 cities with every newly created character) or playing ranked PvP while the season is active (which is right now).

Any price on them is too expensive imo, and I speak as someone who spends oodles on gems. I don't mind them as incidentals in black lion chests (which I open in limited amounts and more for the fun of opening them than out of any expectation of a windfall). But they build up through game play, from map completions and -- I am told -- wvw. If you specifically want transmutation charges, you can get them pretty quickly while also advancing your character via exploring maps (might get a key instead of charges, which is a plus) or cities (guaranteed charge per city, so you can make an alt, run around all the cities, and get six charges, then delete the alt). I'm pretty sure I've never directly bought a transmutation charge.

Maybe one day they'll QoL remove the charge system entirely and make skins as free to apply as dyes. Until then, maybe use an outfit to cover up the armor skins you don't like? Ascended gear isn't at all the coolest looking stuff in the game, in my opinion, so you'll very likely want charges to cover it up as well.

The only real, immediate convenience need I see in the current charges system is that gem store skins that unlock on acquire really need to be convertible to a transmutation charge so they don't take up inventory space while waiting to apply to the right character.

You can buy a one-time character slot for 800 gems, and get six charges in an hour with mounts by completing the main cities, then remake. That may not seem like much, but just remember it's an infinite supply and for free.

Items in the gemstore are priced for people who work and who don't have the time, but do have the money.

I agree that transmutation charges are too expensive in the gem store. In 7 years I've never bought any and I probably never will because it's not worth it, but that's because they're easy to get in-game so I never feel like I need to buy them. If I ever ran out and needed more I'd run around cities on an alt who hasn't completed them to get charges that way, rather than buying them. But as it is I get enough from map completion, login rewards and WvW that I never need to buy them.

Incidentally how many charges you use has nothing to do with whether or not you have ascended armour. The vast majority of those cool skins you see other people using are not from ascended armour, and a lot of them may well still be using exotics. If you're below level 80 you will change your equipment frequently and can end up using a lot of transmutation charges as a result. There are two ways to avoid that: either use an outfit to hide your armour so it doesn't matter what it looks like or accept that it will be a jumbled mess until they get to 80 and do the best you can with dyes to make it look less mismatched. (Or both - I'll often switch between outfits and armour on my low level characters depending on what their armour looks like at the time.)

After level 80 it depends on the person. Some people will find one look they like and keep it forever (or until something better is released), or even keep using outfits, others will change it rarely and others will change all the time because they can't settle on one. If you're the latter type it might be worth using outfits where you can or having several sets of equipment with skins you like to switch between (especially now there's equipment slots to hold them).

I have about 450 of them from doing sporadic PVP and World vs world over the years. I have really recommend playing PVP in general but if you want a lot of Transportation Stones that's a good place to do it, specifically ranked PVP.

Edit: and yes, I do agree that Transportation stones are too expensive for what they offer in the Gem Store. Especially considering how quickly you can earn them in other places, it doesn't match the effort that you can do in game to get them.

on a 21 month old account with 10 characters, I have 444 as of this morning. Of note, only 1 of my characters has World Completion - the other 9 might have 1 or 2 capital cities complete.

The bulk of the charges come from WvW. I currently have 2 stacks of Skirmish Chests in my bank(waiting for the price of unID dye to spike) which could easily be converted into 500 more.

The only reason I can think of why anyone has to purchase them from the Gem Store is if they aren't participating enough in the activities that award them, and/or they burn through them at too fast a pace. Luckily both issues can be resolved at the player level.

I'm not opposed to them lowering the price, but frankly, I can't understand why any average player would ever need to buy them in the first place.

I find it interesting when people say something is too expensive, because they want to use a lot of them..

Ahhh.. Good ole supply and demand. Which isn’t exactly true but hey; keep making these threads as it provides Anet the rationale to keep the cost up.

You wanting it = reason to attach more gems to the cost.

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:I find it interesting when people say something is too expensive, because they want to use a lot of them..

Ahhh.. Good ole supply and demand. Which isn’t exactly true but hey; keep making these threads as it provides Anet the rationale to keep the cost up.

You wanting it = reason to attach more gems to the cost.

yeah to those addicted into fashion wars they are never enough, i do lots of pvp/wvw, sometimes i accumulate 300 of them but they last just some months., i like my toons being "themed" so when i change visuals, i change the entire set.

Considering how many varied and simple ways there are of getting these over time, I'd have to guess that the gem store price isn't the actual value of the charges, but a convenience fee. ie: You can get these immediately for an 'eh' price or you can work at it in-game and get them as game rewards or through gold conversion.

Something I've always liked about GW2 is that there are (usually) many avenues for obtaining the same thing.

If it makes you feel any better, before the wardrobe system you had to just keep a bunch of different armors in your inventory and bank if you wanted to change a look, so you could always use that method until you save up more charges. Your inventory pains will be temporary - ours were just a fact of life.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:Considering how many varied and simple ways there are of getting these over time, I'd have to guess that the gem store price isn't the actual value of the charges, but a convenience fee. ie: You can get these immediately for an 'eh' price or you can work at it in-game and get them as game rewards or through gold conversion.

Something I've always liked about GW2 is that there are (usually) many avenues for obtaining the same thing.

If it makes you feel any better, before the wardrobe system you had to just keep a bunch of different armors in your inventory and bank if you wanted to change a look, so you could always use that method until you save up more charges. Your inventory pains will be temporary - ours were just a fact of life.

Oh geez, my old RP characters. I think Cran had at least one bag full of outfit changes. lol

@"greenblue.7104" said:I feel as though transmutation charges are too expensive from the gem store. In my case, they are desperately needed as I like to change my wardrobe options for unknown reasons. Or maybe I am in that stage where I have not received my endgame gear yet. As another person would say, "I see people running around with all this cool stuff, and it makes me want to have cool stuff too."

Ascension gear is hard to get if I'm not raiding or am willing to spend a lot of gold on materials, including what I believe to believe some hardcore farming. I did find a shortcut, so I can coordinate my ascension gathering skills better, but it's still far away. I can't complain about the raids, because I haven't found other games that share the same mechanics as the Guild Wars 2 raid bosses. I can perceive that if they were to make any changes to making transmutation being more convenient that it would snowball into giving into more player demands, as I've seen on the internet in general.

Some players might find this cocky, but I wouldn't in any way make a suggestion that would jeopardize the development of the game.

I don't know if ur in pvp or Wvw but you can get them easily there.

If you don't like pvp, you can just follow a commander 1 night in wvw and u'll get a lot.