Can I setup a lottery in game?

Frenzy.8730

Hi,

As the title asks, "Can I setup a lottery in game"? Specific to my guild, thus only members would be able to 'compete' and be able to win a set amount based on the the amount of numbers they have correct ~ The same way lotto works normally.

I have read through terms of service and such and I can't find anything that states this is illegal, but I'd rather ask first before being banned :P

The idea is that X% of purchases would go towards guild hall upgrades, and obviously I won't force members to do it.

PS: I hope this was the correct place to post this question, This seemed the most relevant :)

Thanks,xFrenzy47x

You can do it and I've known guilds who have done it previously. Bear in mind players can only withdraw a maximum of 500g per week from mail or guild banks (combined) so that might limit your options.

If it's a guild lottery you could assign a section of the guild bank for members to deposit the money into, then give only the winner withdrawl permissions to let them take their winnings, then remove the withdrawl permission afterwards. But even doing it that way if it's a weekly lottery your prize can't be more than 500g.

@"Ubi.4136" said:I wish we still had the old forums, because there was a post from Gaile about them. I don't remember what they said, but I thought it was along the lines of they would rather you didn't. Maybe some of the search gurus can help find that one.

You can search the archived forums yourself, as the 'Search' feature actually works there.https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/

Good luck.

@Danikat.8537 said:You can do it and I've known guilds who have done it previously. Bear in mind players can only withdraw a maximum of 500g per week from mail or guild banks (combined) so that might limit your options.

If it's a guild lottery you could assign a section of the guild bank for members to deposit the money into, then give only the winner withdrawl permissions to let them take their winnings, then remove the withdrawl permission afterwards. But even doing it that way if it's a weekly lottery your prize can't be more than 500g.

I was thinking if it got to that point, they'd have to be fine with getting their winnings in installments :P

@Wanze.8410 said:should be ok but maybe you want to make sure that everybody is 18 years of age, who participates

Hmmm, the gambling in game ~ the ones in Path of Fire... Are those blocked for people under 18?

@Trise.2865 said:It's not technically illegal, but you should be straight with your guild about what you intend to do with the rest of that money. They might not be so keen on throwing money at you just because you're offering prizes, if they're smart.

The plan currently is that 10% of the purchase goes to the guild, the rest goes into the prize pool.Gold that isn't won stays in the pool, until the next draw happens.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:I hope you can come up with a way to make it transparent who wins.Just so no one can call you and your guild playing favorites and lose good players over an internal game.Best of luck.

The idea is that I'll use some online random generator to generate the winning numbers and record the screen whilst doing it.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Ubi.4136" said:I wish we still had the old forums, because there was a post from Gaile about them. I don't remember what they said, but I thought it was along the lines of they would rather you didn't. Maybe some of the search gurus can help find that one.

You can search the archived forums yourself, as the 'Search' feature actually works there.

Good luck.

Oh cool, didnt realize we could still get to the old forum. Thanks.