Way to utilize mace and torch?

Thorstienn.1642

I want to preface this is for fun.

When I first started GW2 way way back, I had a guardian that I ran with mace/torch and greatsword, rocking that sweet Apothecary gear (lol), I really enjoyed it, but then the trait change came and it became (even more) unviable for any form of serious play.

Fast forward to now and we have templates. I dont WvW on this guardian (I have 2), so I have a "for fun" slot now. My main setup is a Quickbrand so have "the meta" covered.

I would like to use Mace and torch again, though not necessarily on the same bar, but if so with Greatsword: though I imagine axe/torch and mace/focus may be smarter.

How would you all try to go around building this (for Open world I guess)? Condi or power? FB, DH or core? Just choose a meta build and switch the weapons? (Which build?)

For open world, nothing is really unviable. I personally wouldn’t use mace as I find it to be more of a support weapon rather than one used for offense.

For healbrand you can use either but axe is typically better for the CC and fury. You should already provide enough healing to not even need mace.

@Ayrilana.1396I completely understand. I've just always like the aesthetic of mace. Was thinking it may be more for a sustain bar. 2 is still a symbol with some bonus regeneration, 1 is meh, but I love 3: it's like the original full counter Haha.My problem with healbrand would be that I would ultimately be a healer, without a group. And no torch :(Maybe my best bet would just be condi firebrand, just swapping scepter for mace? I guess then if I wanted to be more competitive with that, I could just weapon swap.

You could use mace instead of axe, scepter or sword in any condi build in open world. It is lower damage, but higher survivability.

You could also torch in power builds. Same with mace. You do radiance, with torch trait, together with any power combination. Same with mace. You can slot it in a power build instead of sword or scepter.

I have no issues with torch in open world, since even in power builds, it does good damage. Mace will always be lower damage, but higher survivability. I almost never use mace in open world.

@otto.5684 said:You could use mace instead of axe, scepter or sword in any condi build in open world. It is lower damage, but higher survivability.

You could also torch in power builds. Same with mace. You do radiance, with torch trait, together with any power combination. Same with mace. You can slot it in a power build instead of sword or scepter.

I have no issues with torch in open world, since even in power builds, it does good damage. Mace will always be lower damage, but higher survivability. I almost never use mace in open world.

Thanks, so the slot in method is just better. Would you think condi is probably the better choice?

@Thorstienn.1642 said:

@otto.5684 said:You could use mace instead of axe, scepter or sword in any condi build in open world. It is lower damage, but higher survivability.

Thanks, so the slot in method is just better. Would you think condi is probably the better choice?

Torch is the off hand weapon in all PvE condi builds. So if you like torch, condi builds are probably the path you would go. Mace can fit as MH in condi build. You would typically use axe and sword. You will just drop sword for mace.

Power builds run GS and sword/focus. You could run mace and torch there instead. In my opinion, that will work better in condi build.

@Thorstienn.1642 said:

Not really sure what the slot method is. Torch works better with condi, but not bad for power. Mace is about the same for both.

Underrated use of mace, it is extremely powerful against open world bosses. Open world bosses tend to attack infrequently, and having two blocks on short CD can be a huge life save.

Torch used to be used all Guardian DPS builds no matter whether it was condi or power. In fact I remember doing raid encounters with a Scepter/Torch/GS DH setup. That was before they reworked Ray of Judgement on Focus. It hasn't really lost any damage so it should still fit into even a power build just as a flavor choice.