How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

Simple question. There isnt one currently in the game lore, but neither was Skyscales, Sylvari, and Warclaw and stuff like that until they were added one day by a developer/ writer.
Many RPGs have done Orcs in their own unique way. One of the common request I always see for a new race to play, are always anthropomorphic creatures. Kind of tired of that personally. The Charr neck thing just,,,, nvm

But yeah I would be interesting in a Orc race of some kind instead with its own racials of course.

How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race? 216 votes

I wouldn't mind
7%
cgMatt.5162Susy.7529Justine.6351Raknar.4735Super Hayes.6890titje.2745Thornwolf.9721Knuckle Joe.7408FrigginPaco.4178Justin.5231Magnus Godrik.5841Acheron.4731Brycar.2651Josiah.2967Dante.1508Melech.4308 16 votes
I dont want orcs in this game
88%
WhatLiesBeneath.9018Diovid.9506maddoctor.2738nottsgman.8206Pifil.5193Menadena.7482Just a flesh wound.3589Rhiannon.1726Davasa.4832gebrechen.5643LucianDK.8615dodgerrule.8739TheGrimm.5624IndigoSundown.5419ThomasC.1056starhunter.6015Danikat.8537Trevor Boyer.6524witcher.3197PookieDaWombat.6209 191 votes
anthropomorphic creatures should be the only new playable races
4%
Arzurag.7506Arkantos.7460Zaklex.6308Kulvar.1239Carcharoth Lucian.1378amnessa.6154Foxfire.5183thepenmonster.3621Alphonia.5731 9 votes
<13

Comments

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019
    I wouldn't mind

Cant be any worse than Charr but i can't see it ever being added, i think your closest chance is trolls..

Edit
    Grawl are actually pretty much GW2 Orcs

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:
    No, boring and unoriginal. It would be just one more “something that looks mostly human but with a slight difference.” If they’re going to add a new race I’d prefer they add from this game world’s existing lore, such as Tengu or Skritt, rather than shoehorning in a race from other game’s lore.

Skritt can only play one profession....you know what it is.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thief is my obsession.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I guess Jotun are kinda like orcs - a tribal warrior race that shed their former civilisation.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, boring and unoriginal. It would be just one more “something that looks mostly human but with a slight difference.” If they’re going to add a new race I’d prefer they add from this game world’s existing lore, such as Tengu or Skritt, rather than shoehorning in a race from other game’s lore.

where Skritts in GW1 lore?

• anthropomorphic creatures should be the only new playable races

Playable Skritt or GTFO

• I dont want orcs in this game

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

No where that I know of. However they are unique to this game unlike Orcs which are in multiple games and books.

My objection is primarily relating to the lore of the game not being mixed in with the lore from other games. With unique races the story that this world has to tell is not a tired copy of other stories from other places. It homogenizes the stories when each game world has its Orcs, it’s Elves, etc instead of having their own unique races and unique stories.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

No where that I know of. However they are unique to this game unlike Orcs which are in multiple games and books.

My objection is primarily relating to the lore of the game not being mixed in with the lore from other games. With unique races the story that this world has to tell is not a tired copy of other stories from other places. It homogenizes the stories when each game world has its Orcs, it’s Elves, etc instead of having their own unique races and unique stories.

skritt are akin to dumb skavens arent they?

• I wouldn't mind

I guess my thoughts boil down to: but where?!

Potential requires action in order to be realized.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019

@Linken.6345 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Had to look it up. Skaven sounds like a cross between skritt and Asura. Lol.

The Skaven are a race of walking humanoid rats with dubious (but not to be underestimated) intelligence and a hideous feral cunning out to conquer the world in the name of their God, the Horned Rat, and also for their own personal gains.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

GW2 has plenty of interesting races to use before then add orcs to the world.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

Besides forgetting the option, "None of the above", you also forgot option 4 which would be option 2 and 3 combined...that would've been my answer instead.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind

Only if the can wield greatsword regardless of profession and elite spec.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

Norn are literally just more drunk Orcs.

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭

Most media (I've seen) depicts Orcs just as somewhat anthropomorphic pigs that are simple brutes and forcefully use other races' female to reproduce.
    Warcraft did an extreme overhaul to the race, but that's there thing.
    Just because TES Orcs seem to be visually 'aligned' with the ones from WoW doesn't mean GW2 should do that as well.

Also, armour and clipping would be issues again.
    And we know Anet is not terribly interested in working on armours, as they would rather make outfits.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not even a little bit.

Orcs is a very odd ask, there are many races within the game that should get priority.

• Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind

I don't think they would fit into the GW Universe.
    I'd prefer something like the established Warden, now that the damage done by the Jade Wind has been fixed.

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you. Umbasa.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

Orc's are kinda too common to be shoved into an established game like this.

They wouldn't fit well and most people upon seeing them would probably just think.. "meh.." or "Oh.. now we have Orcs.. "
    I prefer Anet stick with making more unique races instead rather than adding common fantasy ones.

Tengu, Charr, Norn, Asura, Sylvari, Skritt, Quaggans etc
    They're all pretty unique to this world.. sure some have traits from other more common races (Sylvari=Elves for example) but they're different enough to feel unique.
    Orcs wouldn't feel that way unless they were so drastically different from anything in current fantasy games that they wouldn't really feel like Orcs anyway.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

I would rather see no more races added to the game, there are plenty as it is.

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I like the idea of adding new races, both playable and otherwise, but I'd rather not see orcs because (as many other people have said) they're too common at this point.

The thing which originally got me interested in Guild Wars was the charr, specifically the fact that they didn't look like anything I'd seen before. There's so many fantasy games, even some fairly original ones, where I can go through most their creatures with a DnD Monster Manual and a book on folklore and say "So it's this creature, but with X changed to Y".

I have to disagree, since Charr pretty much are a race of creatures from DnD just like Orcs are, just with a different name. In fact many MMOs also have Charr like creatures just with different names for them going back to Dungeons and Dragons.

How would you fit new playable race into existing story line? Core or totaly new?

• Zoid.2568Zoid.2568 Member ✭✭✭

Ogres could be a possibility.

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭

Would rather they use many of the already existing and very interesting races available.

• Kulvar.1239Kulvar.1239 Member ✭✭✭

I don't want generic fantasy race that you find in almost every game.
    Making a race of humans with prosthetics is unimaginative.
    I wouldn't mind seeing new races with an original twist, seeing the world being expand further away from its existing borders.
    We know that the planet is gigantic and we barely see the equivalent of the Mediterranean Sea coast line + some part of the Sahara Desert.
    Now that Lion's Arch has an airport, we could have airships scattering to remote places.

The story of GW2 sadly has a Bible feel: Apocalyptic & worldwide changing events happens in a tiny focused area.

World Map from the Durmand Priory:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Tyria_(world)_map_2.png

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019

If anything, would rather have skritt or quaggan as a playable race. I'd jump on skritt in a heartbeat. I love them. I'd love to be in a Teq reset and hear a chorus of 'SKRITT! KILL IT!'

Edit to add that an intelligent skritt without the numbers would actually be lore friendly and plausible. In Metrica there are some asura 'testing' on skritt and we all know the Inquest see any research someone else is doing and does a 'hold my beer'. Could easily have it be a Rats of Nimh homage where you are escaping an Inquest facility with a few altered Skritt and altered Quaggan.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

You do realize orcs are anthropomorphic, right? What would they add for which working on another feature would not be a better use of resources?

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Not in a group. Their intelligence is related to how many of them are in proximity to each other.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Melech.4308 said:
    I thought charrs filled in the roles of orcs in the game. I feel like orcs are already too prevalent as they are in fiction and MMOs, but I wouldn't mind if Anet does introduce them

This, initially Charr were supposed to be Orcs, but Anet decided against it because it's "too generic" which I agree with. That's how they created flame worshipping demoncats called the Charr.

So many non playable races in the game already, wouldn't it be cooler to play those?

@Pirogen.9561 said:
    How would you fit new playable race into existing story line? Core or totaly new?

Like Warclaw, it comes from a new land discovered in the Mist.

@Menadena.7482 said:
    You do realize orcs are anthropomorphic, right? What would they add for which working on another feature would not be a better use of resources?

How so?

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    I don't want orcs. I am tired and sick of orcs.

I liked it very much that the traditional elf role was filled with the humans in gw2 and I am glad there aren't any dwarfs left.

I am sick of the holy 'fantasy trinity' of orcs, elves, dwarves. They grind on my nerves. Unless most people I read old legends - and these three are a caricature at best or a vicious insult to those creatures.

Huh? Just about all the playable races in GW2 Lore can be found in DnD at least by a different name.

• i think if you want orcs, you should be playing that other MMO

@witcher.3197 said:

@Melech.4308 said:
    I thought charrs filled in the roles of orcs in the game. I feel like orcs are already too prevalent as they are in fiction and MMOs, but I wouldn't mind if Anet does introduce them

This, initially Charr were supposed to be Orcs, but Anet decided against it because it's "too generic" which I agree with. That's how they created flame worshipping demoncats called the Charr.

That's from DnD

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:

How so?

??? How are orcs anthropomorphic?

The definition of the word is having human characteristics. The definition I pulled up was bears so if we take dictionaries to be true we are talking the basics: 4 appendages, a head, a body, stuff like that. Orcs MORE than meet those qualifications!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.