Guardian Upcoming Changes

otto.5684

Guardian

Protectors Impact: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Renamed to "Protector's Restoration".Signet of Mercy: Reduced recharge to 90 seconds in all game modes. Changed passive effect from granting 180 healing power (216 when traited) to granting 120 concentration (150 when traited).Protective Reviver: This trait no longer increases revival speed and no longer grants boons on a successful revival. Fixed skill fact to show correct 3 second duration. Fixed a bug which prevented the recharge of Lesser Shield of Absorption from being affected by Stalwart Defender. Lesser Shield of Absorption now heals nearby allies when it ends. This trait now causes all versions of Shield of Absorption to revive allies by 15% when it detonates.Courageous Return: This trait has been reworked and it has been renamed to "Stalwart Courage". It grants the guardian Protection for 3 seconds whenever aegis on the guardian is removed due to blocking an attack.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1091547#Comment_1091547

Signet of mercy, the recharge being 90 secs, that is a PvE change. The 180 healing power is a slight PvP nerf. I do not think the concentration will matter for PvE.The change to Courageous Return is a big buff to protection uptime. I do not think it has a large impact by any means, but using shield, you can easily stack protection. The shield alone, when traited, will give 7 sec protection on 16 sec CD.

@Indure.5410 said:

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Those changes aren't coming to PvP (yet, or at all) according to cmc.

Not sure why the changes to Courageous Return then, since they aren't really in builds using Valor in PVE.

They may be splitting up the announcements in terms of what the changes are aimed at, but I'm pretty sure that this change will come to sPvP as well. While they're moving into a more split-friendly balance regime, I think they're still holding to the policy that skills and traits should broadly do the same thing in every mode, just with different numbers. I don't see them keeping the current Courageous Return in PvP just because this isn't categorised as a PvP-focused change.

@miguelsil.6324 said:I think that this is a big buff to shield and boons which is already a problem in wvw and i play a guardian.

I was under the impression that WvW Firebrand uses Virtues instead of Valor. Am I mistaken?

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Those changes aren't coming to PvP (yet, or at all) according to cmc.

Where is this info from? Can't see it in the dev feed.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@miguelsil.6324 said:I think that this is a big buff to shield and boons which is already a problem in wvw and i play a guardian.

I was under the impression that WvW Firebrand uses Virtues instead of Valor. Am I mistaken?

@"Darknicrofia.2604" said:Those changes aren't coming to PvP (yet, or at all) according to cmc.

Where is this info from? Can't see it in the dev feed.

The closest thing is: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/updates-from-the-systems-team/

That does not mean these changes are not coming to PvP though. Cuz these are class wide changes including changing of trait names and functionality.

@Yannir.4132 said:Where is this info from? Can't see it in the dev feed.

This is the last official answer directly related to the guardian:

@Robert Gee.9246 said:Stronger reses are not desired in PvP.We are looking at competitive splits for some of these changes but they haven't been finalized yet.

Stalwart Courage (Courageous Return) is definitely too strong.Talked this one over with Cal and we're going to split the protection duration in PvP/WvW to 1 second. We considered an ICD for this trait, but think it's more interesting without it so we will only add one if this split proves insufficient to balance it.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Stronger reses are not desired in PvP.
We are looking at competitive splits for some of these changes but they haven't been finalized yet.

Stalwart Courage (Courageous Return) is definitely too strong.
Talked this one over with Cal and we're going to split the protection duration in PvP/WvW to 1 second. We considered an ICD for this trait, but think it's more interesting without it so we will only add one if this split proves insufficient to balance it.

Well.. that would make it nearly useless. It is better on live, with CD reduction to VoC than a 1 sec on aegis break. They should change it to something else completely, since valor is not used in PvE anyway.

@otto.5684 said:

Well.. that would make it nearly useless. It is better on live, with CD reduction to VoC than a 1 sec on aegis break. They should change it to something else completely, since valor is not used in PvE anyway.

They probably imagine/want to see it used in PvE, but chose to deliberatly ignore the fact that PvE isn't designed to promote a gameplay where a build that use valor (or any defensive traitline that don't provide as much damage as offensive traitline) would shine.

@otto.5684 said:

We are looking at competitive splits for some of these changes but they haven't been finalized yet.

Talked this one over with Cal and we're going to split the protection duration in PvP/WvW to 1 second. We considered an ICD for this trait, but think it's more interesting without it so we will only add one if this split proves insufficient to balance it.

... I use Valor on PvE all the time...

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

Why would you do that lol?! Do not get me wrong, if I want to solo a champion that would be require sustainability beyond dps build, I would slot valor. But that is very rare. If you constantly use it, up to you, but you are wasting damage potential for unneeded sustain.

It is realistically only needed in PvP, for core and DH power builds (which suck, but that is a different issue). If a trait line primarily used in PvP has a new trait that already requires a split, something went seriously wrong in design.

@otto.5684 said:

Why would you do that lol?! Do not get me wrong, if I want to solo a champion that would be require sustainability beyond dps build, I would slot valor. But that is very rare. If you constantly use it, up to you, but you are wasting damage potential for unneeded sustain.

It is realistically only needed in PvP, for core and DH power builds (which suck, but that is a different issue). If a trait line primarily used in PvP has a new trait that already requires a split, something went seriously wrong in design.

Because there's very little difference in damage between Valor and Radiance in casual PvE.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

Because there's very little difference in damage between Valor and Radiance in casual PvE.

Drop zeal not radiance. For power build using valor over radiance you lose:

150 power10% damage25% critic chance

I would not call that “little.” Your math is like 50% off. Dropping zeal will result also in major damage loss, but not as much.

And for condi you lose torch. For sustainability, Honor works better as well for condi over valor. Even in PvE.

@"otto.5684" said:

Drop zeal not radiance. For power build using valor over radiance you lose:

150 power10% damage25% critic chance

I would not call that “little.” Your math is like 50% off. Dropping zeal will result also in major damage loss, but not as much.

And for condi you lose torch. For sustainability, Honor works better as well for condi over valor. Even in PvE.

All of that makes very little difference in OW, casual PvE. I personally run Honor and Zeal. I just like BIG BOI symbols that much. Stuff still drops as soon as I touch them.There's a point when "more DPS" gets pointless, you know.Obviously that's not what you run in a fractal or a dungeon or whatever.