[Spoilers] Living Story Season 4: THE RETURN OF SCARLET BRIAR

TeeracK.3601

They've finally done it! They have paved the way and set everything up for Scarlet to finally make her return. Did you truly think death would stop Tyria's greatest mind!?first lets just take a look at three parts of Scarlet's life in the timeline

• 1317 - 1320 AE — Ceara studies Synergetics (which takes longer). Lands a position as Headmaster Omadd's lab assistant. Becomes obsessed with the Eternal Alchemy.
  • 1320-1321 AE — Ceara spends some time with the Inquest. Ceases writing her diary longhand. She begins clumsily building steam minotaurs, and experimenting with steam portals.
  • 1321 AE — Ceara breaks with the Arcane Council, is stripped of her academic credentials and ejected from Rata Sum. She wanders for several months, before ending up with the Michotl tribe where she studies alchemy for a brief period of time. She is eventually tracked down by Omadd, and is offered the chance to explore the Eternal Alchemy again.

Once Scarlet finished studding she took an interest in the eternal alchemy and then shortly after took and interest in the steam creatures and the steam portals they came from.

What do we know about the steam creatures? Not a whole lot but it seems they come from an alternate future where the commander is evil. Now there isn't a whole lot of info about time travel we know for sure but one thing we can say for sure with the time looping with the fractal storyline and the way time doesnt seem to pass in the same way while in the mists that time traveling has something to do with moving through the mists.

Now once she was kicked out of Rata Sum it said that she wondered for SEVEN MONTHS, but doesnt really give us any information on the subject, just that she eventually ends up with the Michotl. Who are located in Metrica Province. You know what else was located in Metrica Province? Oola's hidden lab!

It wouldn't shock me to think that Scarlet could have found this lab and learned a bit from Oola's research. Oola's entire life's work was based around the idea of mixing necromancy with golemancy.

In living story Season 1 Scarlet took a big interest in the human version of golems the watchknight. Much like how she took interest in the steam creatures in her past having a strong interest in golems.

At the end of Sky Pirates of Tyria the Aetherblades made a run for it into the mists.

In PoF we learned that Sylvari as well as all living things that die go to the mist/an after life.

Right now Palawa Joko is in the mists.

Palawa Joko was in the mists so he could help Balthazar get more ghosts to bound to armor to make more forged.

What if the Ghosts of Scarlet using her knowledge of the mists was able to travel it as a ghosts and manages to meet up with the Aetherblades who have inquest tech and Palawa Joko who is the most powerful necromancer in the world.

If this happens and they combined their abilities maybe they could create a new body for scarlet that is similar to a watchknightin looks that mixes technology and necromancy to turn scarlet into something similar yet different to the forged/exalted?

Next season we will finally see the return of Scarlet!Imgur

TBH, the only reason Anet really could have had for bringing back Scarlet would have been in Heart of Thorns, bringing her back as one of the Mordrem Guard Commanders.

Aside from finally making Season 1 permanent content (as much as I hate the original writing of Season 1, and feel that there was too many lore breaks and bends during S1, I still want to see Season 1 made permanent content because I loathe broken narratives).

@TeeracK.3601 said:What if the Ghosts of Scarlet using her knowledge of the mists was able to travel it as a ghosts and manages to meet up with the Aetherblades who have inquest tech and Palawa Joko who is the most powerful necromancer in the world.

If Scarlet made it to the Domain of the Lost, she would have been eaten by the Eater of Souls by now. She'll be too confused about who she is she'll have a hard time remembering her name that she will remain lost and eventually get eaten. End of story.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see it now. Joko restore's Scarlet's life...Scarlet brutally dismembers Joko leaving him in many pieces, alive, and still in the Domain of the Lost. Scarlet takes control of the Awakened, walks right up to Kralkatorrik and pets him on the nose. She, and her army, are then devoured by the crystal dragon and the Commander decides that Kralkatorrik may be good to keep alive. LWS4 ends with Joko's head screaming "I'll get you next time Scarlet! Next time!" que the Commander waking up to find it was all one messed up dream after a night of heavy drinking in Amnoon...someone broke out the 300 year old keg of Dwarven Ale.

@Nilkemia.8507 said:No. Make Season 1 replayable, sure, but no more of that invasive weed or her lore ruination.

^This.

Make Season 1 replayable, fix some of the major lore issues in that while doing so, but do not bring back Scarlet. She was not a well written villain. She was a Mary Sue who bent and broke established lore for the silly theme of "odd alliances".

We have no need for Scarlet's return.

Besides which, if ArenaNet wanted to bring back Scarlet, they had the perfect excuse through Mordremoth. He was able to "reborn" the Mordrem Guard and mordrem who were killed, particularly the three Mordrem Guard Commanders. If they wanted to bring her back, then she would have been either a Mordrem Guard Commander or something akin to Faolain.

As anyone who has ever followed any serial knows, no villain is ever really dead. Doesn't matter if you saw them fired into a supernova or eaten by rabid wolves, doesn't matter if the writer or publisher promised in bold type that the villain was dead and buried and GONE FOREVER!! Serial narratives are written by too many people over too long a timeframe for any promises to hold or any narrative strictures to pertain. Eventually some new writer or editor or producer will come along and go "Hey, you remember Dr. Evil? Wouldn't it be great if it turned out he wasn't dead after all?"

So, Scarlet may be dead but she will never be gone. Her recent reappearance in ghost form proves quite categorically that she's not forgotten.

And in Tyria there's another layer to this onion: no-one ever dies. Death is functionally meaningless. The Commander (me, you, everyone reading this) just died and got better! And no-one was even particularly surprised. Which isn't in itself surprising because we spend most of our time fighting people who used to be dead but to all intents and purposes aren't any more. The Ascalonian ghosts and the Risen may be mindless shells caught in a Groundhog Day existence but The Awakened are just people who don't need to sleep any more. And the Elonian ghosts seem to be carrying on as if nothing much happened to them apart from a change of color scheme.

If a writer wants to bring Scarlet back (and if the game goes on long enough one will) there is absolutely no barrier to it happening. I think it's probably a bit soon though.

Shame, though. I'd prefer her to any of the villains we've had since.

@Tiny Doom.4380 said:

Shame, though. I'd prefer her to any of the villains we've had since.

Not that that's a big list. The Elder Dragons don't really qualify as villains, so that leaves Caudecus, Balthazar... if you squint hard enough, maybe Lazarus and Faolain... not exactly a stiff competition there. Caudecus and Balthazar were both flanderized for narrative effect, Faolain had all her interesting qualities subsumed in service of the Mordremoth storyline, and Lazarus went from broken into pieces to broken into even more pieces in less than fifteen minutes, even with my terrible build.

Archived