If Instanced housing gets added, would you all be ok with them selling bigger instances for gems?

seeing the backlash for the templates, I was wondering how you all would feel about the possibility of monetizing Instanced Housing. Its a feature that many have wanted.

But what if everybody got the same basic starter instance for housing, with a certain fixed item cap.but the gem store has larger instances with larger item caps and different environments.Rift did this with Dimensions.

everybody wins.

I honestly prefer the Rift method over say open world land plots like Archeage method because everybody gets access to it.

but anyway, may never get added, but this a what if discussion. what you all think?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Knighthonor.4061 said:BTW, Player Housing was one of my favorite features in Rift, and 7 Days was pretty much a fancier Minecraft to me. Love creating stuff and exploring other's creations. Would be a big feature of replay value for me personally, but I can really only speak for myself here on this.

I loved the housing system in Rift. You were even able to let other players build in your housing instance and there were several locations to choose from.Same goes for Trove where housing was an integral part of the game and Wildstar (which i sadly never got into).

We already have home instances... The only thing we miss would be the ability to decorate these (but that may clutter them up terribly as they are already prefurnished). And knowing Anet... they will kick out home instances and make a house which they fully charge for so they will take something we had away and charge for that so I am against. I am also against rental housing.... We spared enough of time and gold to get our gathering nodes and the likes in our home instances already (and one can buy gem stuff items for it already too).

If you want to decorate something... make your own guild hall or play another game next to gw2. Besides in other games I only saw ppl use houses just to gather and afk there and to use it as storage and thats it.

@Trise.2865 said:If this feature were to be introduced - which I personally believe is a waste of time, but some people can only express themselves through decorating a fake space in a fantasy adventure game, I guess - this seems like a reasonably fair way to monetize it.

Kind of similar to what Wardrobe is to player characters.

Player character is fake digital space that players control.Wardrobes decorate those fake digital characters with different ways to look.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:i always list Housing as one of these thing that exists only as forums hypes, like underwater combat. "passive gameplay", build static things in real life is something that never attracted much players.. look just at Guild Halls status, no ones bother with that.

Difference is Guild Halls require you be in a guild to even have one, first of all.

And second of all you have to have guild permission to build in a guild hall, which most people won't have.

Same thing was in Rift, when they had Guild Dimensions and Personal Dimensions. Guild Dimensions were large but most of the time the Guilds only let one or two people do any building in them so pointless to the majority.

I mostly play in my own guild which I had from Vanilla before guild halls were added. It's a solo guild. I don't do the guild politics in MMOs anymore. So guild halls did nothing for me.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:We already have home instances... The only thing we miss would be the ability to decorate these (but that may clutter them up terribly as they are already prefurnished). And knowing Anet... they will kick out home instances and make a house which they fully charge for so they will take something we had away and charge for that so I am against. I am also against rental housing.... We spared enough of time and gold to get our gathering nodes and the likes in our home instances already (and one can buy gem stuff items for it already too).

If you want to decorate something... make your own guild hall or play another game next to gw2. Besides in other games I only saw ppl use houses just to gather and afk there and to use it as storage and thats it.

The home instance is not what I would want in housing since it's race specific to the character you playing. I rather have a land mass that allows me to build my own houses and mansions in my own instance. Rift's Dimension feature that was added is a good example of this. Pretty much the only thing I played in the first expansion there.Something like that would work nicely in GW2 since it's more well polished in terms of its gem store system already unlike in that game which was going into a transition to a B2P mmorpg.

ESO uses a system I not completely knowledgeable about but I believe the maps you own have a pre-built house that you decorate the house and land in the instance. That method may be better for some, but for others like myself I would want more Rift method of building your own walls and floor to your house your own way.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:We already have home instances... The only thing we miss would be the ability to decorate these (but that may clutter them up terribly as they are already prefurnished). And knowing Anet... they will kick out home instances and make a house which they fully charge for so they will take something we had away and charge for that so I am against. I am also against rental housing.... We spared enough of time and gold to get our gathering nodes and the likes in our home instances already (and one can buy gem stuff items for it already too).

The home instance is not what I would want in housing since it's race specific to the character you playing. I rather have a land mass that allows me to build my own houses and mansions in my own instance. Rift's Dimension feature that was added is a good example of this. Pretty much the only thing I played in the first expansion there.Something like that would work nicely in GW2 since it's more well polished in terms of its gem store system already unlike in that game which was going into a transition to a B2P mmorpg.

ESO uses a system I not completely knowledgeable about but I believe the maps you own have a pre-built house that you decorate the house and land in the instance. That method may be better for some, but for others like myself I would want more Rift method of building your own walls and floor to your house your own way.

Its not race specific tho you can go into asura home instance as any race.

Other: It entirely depends on what they're offering in way of housing and what the cost is of doing more. Get to the level of customization offered by ESO (without the insane gold/dollar prices) and you bet I'll dive into it. Stick with the guild hall system but scaled down to player resources? Meh. Too many restrictions on number of items, too few items of interest, too few styles of hall to decorate.

@Linken.6345 said:

Its not race specific tho you can go into asura home instance as any race.

No your own home instance is race specific and character specific. So if I play on a Human Guardian and a Asura Elementalist, buy build my house in the Asura home instance, I can't access it on my Guardian.

Home instances as we have them are accessible by any race (you have 1 in sylvari lands, 1 in asura lands, 1 in human lands, etc). Each character however has its own setup on npcs inside as they depend on story choices. But things like nodes, scavenger cats etc are all account shared and not character specific. So even if you could place furniture they would still be accessible by all your characters as long as you visit the same home instance.