Anyone else have trouble playing alts because of voice actor?

I am asking this because I just switched my human male engi to female hoping I would enjoy the voice actors voice better. That did not happen. I don't like the female voice actors voice either. Both of them(male and female) seems too deep in my opinion, and they don't match my characters looks. While Sylvari and Asura VA for both(male and female), I enjoy immensely. They seem to fit my characters perfectly, and they both sound wonderful.

I can't be the only one who has trouble with alts because of this, so tell me the race and gender you have problems with when it comes to the VA.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have issues with Sylvari male which is one of the worst VA if not the worst VA of all the races to me. It doesn't entirely put em off, but it is pretty bad for me to listen to. It doesn't help that it doesn't sound like how my charcter should speak, which is why I am much more forgiving with the human male which is exactly how I expected my human noble ele to speak.

@Randulf.7614 said:I have issues with Sylvari male which is one of the worst VA if not the worst VA of all the races to me. It doesn't entirely put em off, but it is pretty bad for me to listen to. It doesn't help that it doesn't sound like how my charcter should speak, which is why I am much more forgiving with the human male which is exactly how I expected my human noble ele to speak.

I'm the same way with Human males.Everytime I get a chance to play on a human male that my friend made, I always wondered "Why does he sound like this?"They usually agree "yeah, I can't stand the human male voice at all either."

@Randulf.7614 said:I have issues with Sylvari male which is one of the worst VA if not the worst VA of all the races to me. It doesn't entirely put em off, but it is pretty bad for me to listen to. It doesn't help that it doesn't sound like how my charcter should speak, which is why I am much more forgiving with the human male which is exactly how I expected my human noble ele to speak.

I think the male Sylvari actor is perfect for me, but I can't tell why. It just feels right. For the human male though, I made mine a human noble as well, and I think he sounds like a jock if I am being honest which is a major turn off. The human female sounds a lot older compared to my young characters face.

Human male is Nolan North, one of the most legendary video game voice actors there is.

I prefer Sylvari voices myself, but the human male is amazingly well done.

It would be nice if we had a range of voices to pick from like other games, but I can understand why ANet haven't done this, due to the sheer amount of player character dialogue there is in the game (compared with other games multiple voices simply being variations of combat chants and grunts, etc)

I have trouble playing my main since the human female voice acting is so awful. She tries to sound overly dramatic, emphasizing each sentence, making it sound really unnatural. Not to mention all the witty dialogue they had in LS3.

The problem is that I do like my ranger a lot. If there was a race change option I would probably use it.

The VA is definily one reason why I play mainly female sylvari. She's the best by far IMO. The female norn voice mostly sounds flat and bored, and the female charr lacks a certain something to really sound like 3 solid meters of death on legs. It could be deeper, harsher, more credibly like a veteran commander who can bellow orders across a battlefield. The female human VA is okay, but humans don't interest me lore-wise at all (though the awesome new face and hair prompted me to make one or two).

The female Norn is the one that truly bothers me. I have a very hard time listening to her voice. Every time I hear her speak I cringe. I have tried to get used to it because I have always wanted a Norn ranger. I feel odd playing male characters so I stick to female. I have already deleted one because of the voice, but recently decided to try it again. It just sounds like someone is trying too hard to sound tough or something and they do a very poor job pulling it off. Or from my opinion, the voice actor doesn't pull it off at all. It is the only voice actor in the game that I really don't like at all.

@rapthorne.7345 said:Human male is Nolan North, one of the most legendary video game voice actors there is.

It would be nice if we had a range of voices to pick from like other games, but I can understand why ANet haven't done this, due to the sheer amount of player character dialogue there is in the game (compared with other games multiple voices simply being variations of combat chants and grunts, etc)

So I decided to finally look him up, the only games (or anything rather) I recognize with him in it is...:Skylanders Giants (I don't know who Dune Bug is though)Saints Row series (I have no clue which voice as I only played a female in that game, but if he's the voice I'm thinking of... I can't stand that male voice in Saints Row either)Marvel vs Crapcom 3 as Deadpool. That one is actually a good job. Really think he did well there.Crackdown 2. Um... just "voice". Don't know what or who he was in that one.Final Fantasy XIII I have 0 remembrance of that game other than Gran Pulse.Gears of War 2... don't remember these guys either in this game.

That's about it.Other than Deadpool I could say either forgettable for me or just a voice that annoys me like that one male voice in Saints Row or the human male in this game.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@rapthorne.7345 said:Human male is Nolan North, one of the most legendary video game voice actors there is.

So I decided to finally look him up, the only games (or anything rather) I recognize with him in it is...:Skylanders Giants (I don't know who Dune Bug is though)Saints Row series (I have no clue which voice as I only played a female in that game, but if he's the voice I'm thinking of... I can't stand that male voice in Saints Row either)Marvel vs Crapcom 3 as Deadpool. That one is actually a good job. Really think he did well there.Crackdown 2. Um... just "voice". Don't know what or who he was in that one.Final Fantasy XIII I have 0 remembrance of that game other than Gran Pulse.Gears of War 2... don't remember these guys either in this game.

That's about it.Other than Deadpool I could say either forgettable for me or just a voice that annoys me like that one male voice in Saints Row or the human male in this game.

I know him from Uncharted series which I like his voice in. Maybe it's because I picked the wrong shape for my human male. I don't like big chested football player type of models. I kind of prefer the tone, but wirery/skinny sylvari over human models. That is probably why I think of jock when I hear his voice. He does a good job though at it.

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

I know him from Uncharted series which I like his voice in. Maybe it's because I picked the wrong shape for my human male. I don't like big chested football player type of models. I kind of prefer the tone, but wirery/skinny sylvari over human models. That is probably why I think of jock when I hear his voice. He does a good job though at it.

Yeah, the character my friend made looks like a subtle, normal/average guy with a casual face and normal body.Then I hear the voice of the character and the 1st thought that came to my head is, "Ugh... this sounds like that annoying stuck up voice I hear for males in Saints Row... I can't stand that voice."

Low and behold, I find out today that's the same guy. I COULD hear the voice on a specific look for males though. Yeah if built up a bit, maybe a more ferocious or "tipsy" face and maybe background story, but not as some noble normal looking guy.

Same with how I'm okay with the female human voice as my character kind of looks like it does fit the voice a bit, but when I made temporary characters to try things (or like the PoF beta weekend) where I might try a younger look, like the 1st column, lowest/3rd face which has a very young and petite looking voice.When I use that with that voice... it looks all wrong. It doesn't match at all. It's not because I'm used to the voice on my character either as I've made a few Asuras (like 3 or 4) and while I only kept one and deleted the others, I say the voice still work for the current Asura I decided to keep... but I could see some of the looks and faces even on Asura not working either.

As someone mentioned and I've seen it in other games, they should've at least gave us a pitch option. Could keep the same one voice, but allow us to change it slightly higher or lower to maybe match specific looks.But seeing this game is 5 years old now and nothing came of it, I already know it will never happen.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Yeah, the character my friend made looks like a subtle, normal/average guy with a casual face and normal body.Then I hear the voice of the character and the 1st thought that came to my head is, "Ugh... this sounds like that annoying stuck up voice I hear for males in Saints Row... I can't stand that voice."

Low and behold, I find out today that's the same guy. I COULD hear the voice on a specific look for males though. Yeah if built up a bit, maybe a more ferocious or "tipsy" face and maybe background story, but not as some noble normal looking guy.

Same with how I'm okay with the female human voice as my character kind of looks like it does fit the voice a bit, but when I made temporary characters to try things (or like the PoF beta weekend) where I might try a younger look, like the 1st column, lowest/3rd face which has a very young and petite looking voice.When I use that with that voice... it looks all wrong. It doesn't match at all. It's not because I'm used to the voice on my character either as I've made a few Asuras (like 3 or 4) and while I only kept one and deleted the others, I say the voice still work for the current Asura I decided to keep... but I could see some of the looks and faces even on Asura not working either.

As someone mentioned and I've seen it in other games, they should've at least gave us a pitch option. Could keep the same one voice, but allow us to change it slightly higher or lower to maybe match specific looks.But seeing this game is 5 years old now and nothing came of it, I already know it will never happen.

I made my human female with one of the new younger looking faces(Second column first one), so when I hear a voice from someone who sounds like they are in their 40s and my character looks in the 20s. It is jarring.

I would love a voice pitch slider though to make mine sound a little younger and lighter.

My main is a female charr. I hate doing story on her because the female charr voice actress doesn't sound like a huge cat beast who will maul you. In fact, most female charr NPCs sound way better than the player character. The actress also sucks at conveying any kind of emotion in the dialogue and her roars are pitiful.

HAHAHA YES!

I love the male Asura voice. Male Sylvari sounds clueless, male Human sounds generic. I don't play Norn/Charr because their movement animation feels clunky due to their larger race size. If I could pay something to race change my alt's race, I would.

Nolan North also did Desmond Miles from the Assassin's Creed series. Did a great job, too. When I made my first character, a male human guardian, I kept thinking of him as Desmond (even though, my guard had white hair, lol).

Honestly, my favorite voice is the female asura. Dialogue, battle quips, etc. are all top notch. Ironically, I heavily disliked the male asura voice... it just... didn't ring right.

Variety of voices would be nice, but the only option that's viable is being able to change pitch or something like that. Considering all the dialogue our characters use throughout the PS, HoT, LS3, PoF, in battle, general quips, it would be a tremendous drain on Anet's resources to hire just even ONE new VA per gender per race (that's ten new VAs). Being able to change the pitch, depth, and other aspects of the current VA of our characters is much, much more realistic and feasible.

I'm sure how to feel about this issue. I mean on one hand the one human female voice is very noticeable when you have 4 of them (and one of them is Elonian, so it's especially noticeable then), on the other hand it would probably cost way more then it's worth to add different pitches for each race.

@Headcase.4618 said:I'm sure how to feel about this issue. I mean on one hand the one human female voice is very noticeable when you have 4 of them (and one of them is Elonian, so it's especially noticeable then), on the other hand it would probably cost way more then it's worth to add different pitches for each race.

Um... you know how pitches work for voice clips right?Please tell me you know how it works.

Archived