Named sunspear weapons for elite spec collections

Let's talk a bit about these weapons. As it stands, you can get one for free for doing the sunspear rare collection - this is nice, you get one elite spec collection for cheaper for your main character. But for alts? You gotta pay a lot of gold. I've personally been playing a lot since the launch of PoF and I have not seen any of these weapons drop anywhere. A quick poll on my friends said only one of them had a drop. So they are pretty rare!

As it stands, you pretty much have to pay more than the price of crafting an ascended weapon for this collection. Even more if you factor in the mordant skin too! Currently the weapons I need sit pretty steadily around 60-70 gold each, and the price is steadily climbing.

I don't suppose ANet could boost the droprate just a bit to emhpasize the collection and time gate aspect of the elite spec collections instead of a pure gold gate?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this is not a solution to the overarching problem (the same issue was being had with the Mystic weapons for the HoT elite specs), one option is to complete the Elonian Weapon skins collection as you get one of the named skins for the Elites for free. Best thing to do for your money is probably the axe as it is for two elite specializations.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any numbers on drop rates, but considering how so many more are being consumed immediately as so many people are in a huge rush to complete their specializations I would wager we are seeing an unrealistic boom due to the fact that - in the short term - supply is not keeping up with demand and some people are hoarding for higher prices anyway.

Wait a bit and it'll calm down, this is what always happens.

@Redfeather.6401 said:I'm at 10/14 for the shortbow elite specialization collection and am considering just crafting a shortbow to save gold! Isn't that silly.

I crafted the Sunspear Firelight, and it did not count as Nagozi's Enchanted Lamp for the Guide for the Lost collection. I don't know if that is intended or a glitch, but beware of that approach.

@typographie.1742 said:

@Redfeather.6401 said:I'm at 10/14 for the shortbow elite specialization collection and am considering just crafting a shortbow to save gold! Isn't that silly.

I crafted the Sunspear Firelight, and it did not count as Nagozi's Enchanted Lamp for the Guide for the Lost collection. I don't know if that is intended or a glitch, but beware of that approach.

It is an intended outcome as the collection specifically calls for Nagozi's Enchanted Lamp.

@typographie.1742 said:

I think he/she means crafting an ascended shortbow since it would cost about the same as buying the named exotic weapon needed for the collection. And it's the ascended shortbow he/she can't get because of the very rare chance of one of those named exotics dropping.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@typographie.1742 said:

It is an intended outcome as the collection specifically calls for Nagozi's Enchanted Lamp.

I understand that it's easy to look at the situation and think it's that obvious, but that's not how collections in this game have usually worked. When you trained Druid and unlocked the collection for Yggdrasil, you didn't have to go get a new Mystic Staff. If the Mystic Staff skin was in your wardrobe, you got retroactive credit. When you do the Style Guide collection, it asks for Koss on Koss, but it will take There With Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale instead.

Maybe you're right, but I had every reason to think the Sunspear Firelight would work, given past behavior. If it's truly as literal as you say, then I don't think it can give credit retroactively if you get the Lamp before you unlock the collection. There's problems with that approach that make it seem like a really odd choice.

seems the idea is to buy them from TP. The drop rate seems insanely small and even wiki says they don't drop from unidentified gear anymore.In my case I don't care and wont buy any, because I have few bank tabs full with ascended items, but for many ppl getting this will be very costly. For a specific collection made to enhance your new spec, this is very unsatisfying experience...

@mazut.4296 said:seems the idea is to buy them from TP. The drop rate seems insanely small and even wiki says they don't drop from unidentified gear anymore.In my case I don't care and wont buy any, because I have few bank tabs full with ascended items, but for many ppl getting this will be very costly. For a specific collection made to enhance your new spec, this is very unsatisfying experience...

I can only find examples of where the Wiki states that these named weapons are obtainable from identifying gear. Can you post a link to where the Wiki states that is not true?

@UnbentMars.9126 said:While this is not a solution to the overarching problem (the same issue was being had with the Mystic weapons for the HoT elite specs), one option is to complete the Elonian Weapon skins collection as you get one of the named skins for the Elites for free. Best thing to do for your money is probably the axe as it is for two elite specializations.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any numbers on drop rates, but considering how so many more are being consumed immediately as so many people are in a huge rush to complete their specializations I would wager we are seeing an unrealistic boom due to the fact that - in the short term - supply is not keeping up with demand and some people are hoarding for higher prices anyway.

Wait a bit and it'll calm down, this is what always happens.

They only come from identifying gear based on the tooltip but their drop rate from identifying gear also seems to be less than the rate of regular exotics.

@typographie.1742 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@typographie.1742 said:

I understand that it's easy to look at the situation and think it's that obvious, but that's not how collections in this game have usually worked. When you trained Druid and unlocked the collection for Yggdrasil, you didn't have to go get a new Mystic Staff. If the Mystic Staff skin was in your wardrobe, you got retroactive credit. When you do the Style Guide collection, it asks for Koss on Koss, but it will take There With Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale instead.

Maybe you're right, but I had every reason to think the Sunspear Firelight would work, given past behavior. If it's truly as literal as you say, then I don't think it can give credit retroactively if you get the Lamp before you unlock the collection. There's problems with that approach that make it seem like a really odd choice.

The collection expects the item not the skin. The collections have examples of both. For the exotics it wants the specific item but for the modrant stuff it just needs the skin. The HoT collections only expected skins. Compared how their tooltips are displayed.

I caved in and bought the Riding Bow to finish my collection, as I only had that one thing to get. Still it cost me more gold to finish that collection than to craft an ascended shortbow! And the shortbow reward from the collection only allowed 3 stat choices that don't even fit my class! I should have crafted. I just should of.

I advise against doing these collections! Resist the temptation!

I've farmed everything/everywhere and only gotten named drops of weapons that are not related to the collection. Trying different classes doesn't seem to help. I saw a thread about MF affects the unidentified gear so that could help. I bought some of the named ones just to finish and I must say, I'm underwhelmed at the lack of stat combos available on these. Yes I can reroll them but that's more money invested. Would have liked to see all the stat combos available when picking it to account bind it, not just 3. Oh well onward to farm to buy the rest.

@mazut.4296 said:seems the idea is to buy them from TP. The drop rate seems insanely small and even wiki says they don't drop from unidentified gear anymore.In my case I don't care and wont buy any, because I have few bank tabs full with ascended items, but for many ppl getting this will be very costly. For a specific collection made to enhance your new spec, this is very unsatisfying experience...They still do drop from unidentified gear. Just rare enough to make buying on TP the best way to get them.Sadly I sold about 25 of these weapons for about 20-25g each when I did the collection on all my accounts. Could have made 500g more with current prices :(

@Redfeather.6401 said:I caved in and bought the Riding Bow to finish my collection, as I only had that one thing to get. Still it cost me more gold to finish that collection than to craft an ascended shortbow! And the shortbow reward from the collection only allowed 3 stat choices that don't even fit my class! I should have crafted. I just should of.

I advise against doing these collections! Resist the temptation!

Yeah, I seriously don't get why we can't just have a full selection of stats for these items. Limit the exotics for unlocking the specialization, sure, ok maybe. But for the ascended ones? No, they should offer a full selection.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I just quit, i mean, i suspect they'll be cheaper in a few months and then I'll finish the collections.You'd think that, but the six needed haven't dropped in price at all, even while the rest of the named Sunspear weapons have crashed in price.

probably because supply hasn't caught up to the demand yet.At some point in time, people will find them, when they already have them. They might offer them cheaply for guildies and friends first, but at some point, when many people have 'found' them, or bought them and then found new ones.. they price should drop.

• 2 weeks later...

I identified literally every single piece of rare and masterwork unidentified gear I've gotten in the month I've been playing, and almost every blue. I've gone through the entire story twice, I've completed every story achievement and almost every map achievement, and most of the collections, and I've not gotten a single named sunspear weapon drop, not one.
The only one I do have is the one I got for the elonian weapons collection.

None of my friends have gotten a named sunspear weapon, none of my guildies have gotten one. The number of items on the trading post for sale has not seemed to increase at all, and now the cost is up to 90+ gold for some of them...another indication that the supply has not increased at all.

I think it would make more sense to have tied the named exotics to a story instance, (as they did with the exalted weapons), or to have left them craftable, with recipes you need to buy in game once certain achievements are met, (like from the funerary armor recipe vendor), or something, as they did with the HoT elite spec weapons.

At this point, I think it would make more sense to just make them craftable, as they were at the beginning, add a recipes tab to the dude in the tomb of the primeval kings that sells the funerary armor receipes, specifically for the named sunspear weapons, and let us finish the stupid weapon collections.

'm not paying 90g for a weapon that I should not be forced to buy from the tp for some ridiculously over inflated price.

This is not a "prestige" item, it's an elite spec weapon which should be challenging, but not impossible, to obtain.

@solarisnox.8521 said:

'm not paying 90g for a weapon that I should not be forced to buy from the tp for some ridiculously over inflated price.

This is not a "prestige" item, it's an elite spec weapon which should be challenging, but not impossible, to obtain.

You are not forced to buy these from the tp, you can get them through regular gameplay. If you are not content with your personal droprate for these weapons, try buffing up your magic find before IDing gear. Someone with 1000% mf will identify 10 times more exotic weapons than someone with no magic find at all.

It isnt impossible to obtain and for most players, 100g isnt even a challenge to earn within a week

@Wanze.8410 said:

@solarisnox.8521 said:

You are not forced to buy these from the tp, you can get them through regular gameplay. If you are not content with your personal droprate for these weapons, try buffing up your magic find before IDing gear. Someone with 1000% mf will identify 10 times more exotic weapons than someone with no magic find at all.

It isnt impossible to obtain and for most players, 100g isnt even a challenge to earn within a week

If "most players" were to go the TP route, 100g wouldn't be anywhere close to what the price would end up as.

Archived