Hello, New to the game. What can i do?

Malaras.2579

Due to main story bug i can't do that at this time. What else can i do for xp and such? Been trying to play most of the day not sure what to do as i'm still learning the game. Was just following questline till i hit this bug. Dev are aware, but not sure when it's going to be fixed.

Thanks,

@Malaras.2579 said:Due to main story bug i can't do that at this time. What else can i do for xp and such? Been trying to play most of the day not sure what to do as i'm still learning the game. Was just following questline till i hit this bug. Dev are aware, but not sure when it's going to be fixed.

Thanks,

Just go out and explore the world man, you'll find lots of events to do and materials to gather/mine, as well as just experience the beautiful landscape.

You gain experience from various activities in maps. These are:

Killing monsters, mobs net you some small experience.Crafting, advancing crafting levels net you a certain amount of experience with advancement.Gathering, you get experience from successful harvesting from nodes. You get regular experience from ore and lumber, and about 3x from plants (as you'd only get one, compared to three from the others).Events, participating in an event rewards you experience and coin regardless of outcome, but if the event is successful you also get karma.Exploration, you earn experience from uncovering parts of a map you haven't been to yet, earning hero points, visiting points of interest and vistas, completing hearts. You get a sizeable burst of experience and loot rewards for marking all spots on the map (as Boysenberry says, this is 100% map).

Later on, as your levels go up -- again as Boysenberry said -- dungeons will become available to you. Participate in story mode for rewards, experience and progress towards an achievement. Participate in exploration mode (in a group of five) for experience, rewards, and dungeon-specific currency that can be traded in Lion's Arch.

Welcome to Tyria.

If you see an Orange circle, flag, shield, or swords on your mini map, head over and help out! These are repeatable events so you can do them whenever you see them.

If you see an "empty" golden heart icon on your map (as opposed to a "full" golden heart), head over and fill it up! These are Karma Hearts. In core maps they can only be done once per character, but new areas allow them to reset each day.

Do you see creatures with yellow name tags? Kill them! Deer, Moas, and other miscellaneous critters are not normally hostile, but they are still valid targets. Even better, most people ignore them so they often pay out HUGE sums of BONUS experience since they have been alive for so long!

@mtpelion.4562 has some fantastic recommendations for a new player - enjoy the events, hearts and occasional, high-experience kill to help you level and explore at the same time. If you're on a map running between the hearts and any events, check for points of interest, vistas and hero points as well. You can see them marked on areas of your map that are revealed. If you place your mouse cursor over the legend for the map, you can make the map objectives that you have left flash within the map view that you're on. I've used that a lot to pin-point a point of interest that I'm missing (don't always see them on the map at first glance).

Most of all, have fun adventuring! I'm a long-term casual, and I could spend many more years in GW2 (hope I do).

Archived