Should Map Completion Contribute To Map Bonus Rewards?

Should completing renown hearts, vistas, waypoints etc. contribute towards map reward bonuses?

I think if it did, people might be a little more enthusiastic about doing map completion, and might help Central Tyria maps become more populated. That said, one could also argue that map completion already has rewards once completed.

Making vistas, POIs and Waypoints contribute, I'm talking about maybe only a small amount (say, 20 points) compared to events (currently up to 100 depending on participation). Renown hearts take a little more time so maybe more points from them.

What do you think? I'll abstain from voting myself.

(If you're unfamiliar with Map Bonus Rewards, here's the wiki entry: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward )

I voted no because it seems I just honestly might be a different type of gamer than many these days. I mean, we already get a reward when completing a map in Core Tyria. I guess I'm a bit confused why you think even more is necessary honestly?

I'm the type of gamer where the gameplay itself is the reward. I just returned to the game a few months ago and am having a great time slowly working towards world completion. I mean, I'm actually having fun doing it. The fun is my reward. Yes, I know most are going to completely disagree, but that's fine of course. If I am not enjoying the actual content in a game, then I could personally care less about the reward at the end. For me, the rewards we get at the end of completing a map is just a nice little bonus from my perspective. I suppose I just don't understand the concept of playing a game and not having fun. I just don't get that at all.

Here's an example. In WoW a while back one of the things to do to help gear your character and get some ilevel 860 gear if I remember right was Sentinax farming. I got in one group and farmed for 30-45 minutes. I hated it so bad that I never did it again no matter what kind of gear I could buy after farming it. I just personally didn't find it fun. I mean, I play a game to relax in my downtime and have fun, not add another chore onto my daily life. If I constantly need some awesome reward to force me to play a game and do content, I don't play the game. So yeah, the reward for me is the actual gameplay.

@SummerRayne.4672 said:I guess I'm a bit confused why you think even more is necessary honestly?

It's not so much about getting more rewards, it's rather about incentives for players to go about and do map completion. We play in a game where people say "map completion is boring and not rewarding" yet many of those players enjoy the repetition of farming.

Player A is going around a map, farming champs. He or she is already getting champion bags as well as getting contributions towards the reward track.Player B is doing map completion. They might perhaps do five events and only get five rewards compared to the many Player A has. They've spent a lot of time traversing the map and especially helping NPCs at renown hearts, which sometimes takes longer than events. But they get no participation compared to the quick champ after champ rewards of Player A. Of course, there is diminishing returns for Player A for repeating the same events, but Player B has spent a long time in the same map doing completion, which also contributes to DR.

Hope this makes sense :)

@penelopehannibal.8947 said:

@SummerRayne.4672 said:I guess I'm a bit confused why you think even more is necessary honestly?

It's not so much about getting more rewards, it's rather about incentives for players to go about and do map completion. We play in a game where people say "map completion is boring and not rewarding" yet many of those players enjoy the repetition of farming.

Player A is going around a map, farming champs. He or she is already getting champion bags as well as getting contributions towards the reward track.Player B is doing map completion. They might perhaps do five events and only get five rewards compared to the many Player A has. They've spent a lot of time traversing the map and especially helping NPCs at renown hearts, which sometimes takes longer than events. But they get no participation compared to the quick champ after champ rewards of Player A. Of course, there is diminishing returns for Player A for repeating the same events, but Player B has spent a long time in the same map doing completion, which also contributes to DR.

Hope this makes sense :)

Yes, I understand what you are saying. As I said, I think I just must be a different kind of gamer than most lol. For me personally, if I need an incentive to play a certain part of the game that I don't enjoy and find boring or unrewarding as you said some players say, then I don't play that part of the game. But you must remember not everyone finds that part of the game boring and unrewarding. That part people are saying is boring and unrewarding is my absolute favorite part of this game. There is actually another poll on the forums right now asking people what their favorite mode of game play is. So far "Open-world events and Exploration" is winning by a large percent. So I must not be completely alone here.

Basically my point of view is if I'm not actually enjoying the content in a game, I don't play. I completely understand people play games for different reasons and enjoy playing in different ways than myself. Like I said before, the gameplay itself is what I find rewarding. If I hate the actual content and gameplay, I don't care at all about the end reward. But then again, I am the type of player these days that enjoys the journey, don't ever enjoy or feel the need to rush through content. I guess I have a hard time understanding why people play aspects of a game they hate or don't enjoy. I mean for me, a game is meant for entertainment and fun.

Now don't get me wrong. There have been some things I have done in games to earn some really amazing reward or hope for. But typically those have been seasonal events where I have farmed dungeons or events trying for a mount, pet or some other cool reward. While it started out fun, I of course got burned out doing the same thing over and over and it finally got to a point I no longer cared about the reward because I wasn't having fun. I remember farming Easter eggs in another game for hours to buy a mount, one for myself and one to sell. I needed 500 eggs (chocolates that came in the eggs actually) to get it. At around egg number 497 or so, the crazy thing dropped as a random drop in an actual egg. Needless to say I haven't put myself through that anymore even though I know I could make thousands of gold off of it :P

Archived