Laranthir? (spoilers) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Laranthir? (spoilers)

Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

I'm quite surprised noone has discussed Laranthir yet. Was he still Almorra's second-in-command by the time of Whisper in the Dark? If so, he should be the next leader of the Vigil.
In the story I get the impression that Jhavi could well take this place, but maybe she is just supposed to take over the keep.

Is Laranthir still part of the story, or did he resign sometime ago offscreen? If he's still around, he should return to the limelight very soon.

Comments

• Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

Alright, I thought I might have missed or forgotten something.
    So we have to wait and see what happens.

• anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

I think Laranthir is still the guy supposed to lead the Vigil. As I understood it, Jhavi is in charge of Jora's Keep and the whole mess things have become there.

Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    Act with wisdom and axe.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2019

Working on the assumption Laranthir wasn't forcibly retired, voluntarily retired, or demoted due to the events of HoT (first and last seems very unlikely), he should be the one to lead the Vigil post-Almorra, as he stated in the personal story. He is the second-in-command as of pre-HoT. But since HoT utterly botched the sylvari discrimination storyline, and it's not been touched since HoT outside of the Zephyrites during Festival of the Four Winds (which is rather out of character for them to blame the entire race for Aerin's/Mordremoth's actions), I don't see how we can draw an accurate conclusion.

Though dialogue of Jhavi taking over is present and, imo, a bit out of place unless it's referring to the keep, but Almorra wasn't the one in charge of the keep. To explain those dialogues, I'd assume either a) the HoT situation resulted in Jhavi becoming the Second-in-Command (Laranthir demoted); b) they're meaning that with the prior Keep officer gone, they thought Almorra would take over, but with Almorra dead they now believe Jhavi will be the one to take over the keep/operation until further notice; or c) they're just supporters of Jhavi and want her to take leadership of the Vigil, even though she's not Second-in-Command.

All these squares make a circle.

• ThomasC.1056ThomasC.1056 Member ✭✭✭

Or they just forgot everything about Laranthir because that guy was during HoT, and HoT is past from long ago, and not so many devs are still sticking around from that time. So, the few who could know about him have probably forgotten everything.

And Icebrood saga is supposed to be about Norns and Charrs, not Sylvaris, so why bother about that talking lettuce and self-consistency ?

Let's just hope I'm just being exceedingly sarcastic, and that I'll get a happy surprise seeing Laranthir again and prove me wrong.

Look at that—you broke Scruffy's sarcasm meters. ~ Taimi.

• Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

@ThomasC.1056 said:
    Or they just forgot everything about Laranthir because that guy was during HoT, and HoT is past from long ago, and not so many devs are still sticking around from that time. So, the few who could know about him have probably forgotten everything.

That's what I'm a bit concerned about.

Then again, Jhavi is also a rather old character. She was also present during the Personal Story, even though she didn't really have dialogue back then and was just a named background NPC. So, if they dug her up, they must have noticed Laranthir, too.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2019

If he appears again, it will probably be like HoT, commanding some larger scale operation. By the end of Dragon Stand meta hes still safe, so theres no reason to put him as "recovering" status.

Also the writers probably want heavy focus on norm/charr, so the excuse that Vigil is "recovering of Bjora Massacre"(so they cant build up a largar scale operation) will be maintened to keep Laranthir/the pact as whole in offscreen.

Another good excuse to keep him offscreen is him wyldhunt(As far as I know nobody knows what it is so it can be filled with anything).

as side note: theres lots of vigil leaders that live "offscreen". Warmaster Efut was near onipresent in personal history, them "disapeared", the misterious "Lord Rodrigo"(notable also for no wearing a armor) with alongside pre-saga Jhavi, they all arent seen outside the Keep for a long time.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• @ugrakarma.9416 said:
    Also the writers probably want heavy focus on norm/charr, so the excuse that Vigil is "recovering of Bjora Massacre"(so they cant build up a largar scale operation) will be maintened to keep Laranthir/the pact as whole in offscreen.

That would not prevent the Pact from sending in a fleet of airships and troops like they did at Thunderhead Peaks and Dragonfall. Granted, the losses at Thunderhead Peaks is probably something to keep them occupied. I won't expect Pact forces until Episode 3 at the earliest, and even that would just be the vanguard forces like in S4E4.

• Maybe he's still stranded at Dragon's Stand, trying to figure out how to get up "that tree".

Jokes aside, all sylvari commanders are destined to die an atrocious death, so maybe it's better if he doesn't.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019

As we saw in Personal Story, people are often recruited out of the Orders into the Pact entirely. After Heart of Thorns, Laranthir after successfully leading the assault on an Elder Dragon, probably has a cushy job in the Pact not far below Logan.

That said the other Commanders could've "retired" like our character did, we haven't seen them since HoT.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Terakura/Spellbreaker | ♀♥♀

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019

I think Laranthir will become the new leader of the vigil. Jhavi is just running the keep, but with her set up as a new character that’s central in this saga, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her take laranthir’s old position as second in command

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Would like to know as well, though I suspect reason will be as simple as no VA anymore given they even changed Kasmeer's one.

[RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

• @NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    Would like to know as well, though I suspect reason will be as simple as no VA anymore given they even changed Kasmeer's one.

Kasmeer sounded the same during Bound By Blood. Is that a more recent development? Or do you mean Rox's VA that was changed for S4E2.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019

I doubt that VA will be a great reason to hold a character. Zojja's case is specific, because Anet created the hype around it. But laranthir, whos cares about his voice actor?

i guess Anet learned the lesson, and will not invest/hype much more to bring remarkable VA for a characters with a long journey in the lore.

Did it to villains is the best path, because villains are not to stay here forever(so they "remarkable" VA) like Balthazar, Joko..., ... so they did it to Jormag too, since Jormag will not be inteded to "stay here forever".

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

I saw Laranthir perfectly healthy chilling in my home instance in Divinity's Reach, a few days ago.