Dyeable backs. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Dyeable backs.

zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Apparently you can dye the capes, or at least thats what some pics on discord of ppl's chars suggest.

Is this only a thing for the capes or its gonna be added to more back pieces/is already added?

Edit: also cudos to the ui costumisation options, now we only need the ability to resize and move ui elements freely like in gw1 and we'll be gucci.

Comments

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think definitely future capes, and maybe other backpacks too. Unfortunately there isn’t tech to retroactively make old backpacks dyeable and recoding them all one by one is a waste of dev time, if it’s even possible.

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:
    I think definitely future capes, and maybe other backpacks too. Unfortunately there isn’t tech to retroactively make old backpacks dyeable and recoding them all one by one is a waste of dev time, if it’s even possible.

There was tech to make all the legendary weapons be able to have their sigils removed at will. Im leening more to the "its too much work" excuse but i still thing they should at least do it for the blc items and the legendary backpieces.

If they’re gonna do it for any of them, the legendary ones should be first (as well as the other rarest ones). I actually would love to dye my ascension wings

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Udolpho.1209Udolpho.1209 Member ✭✭✭

*While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Udolpho.1209 said:
    *While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!

in the gemstore :^)

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Udolpho.1209 said:

That's not entirely true, though...

Some of the more recent back items, such as the Shiverpeaks Backpack/Gilder combo, must have been made while they were working out the details for dyeable back items. They should have been made with that system in place, because they knew what was coming. And yet, I see nobody mentioning them as dyeable (I don't have them, so I can't check).

So, was the cape the first dyeable item, or did they stealth some in on us? I'm hoping for the latter...

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Palador.2170 said:

@Udolpho.1209 said:

That's not entirely true, though...

Some of the more recent back items, such as the Shiverpeaks Backpack/Gilder combo, must have been made while they were working out the details for dyeable back items. They should have been made with that system in place, because they knew what was coming. And yet, I see nobody mentioning them as dyeable (I don't have them, so I can't check).

So, was the cape the first dyeable item, or did they stealth some in on us? I'm hoping for the latter...

They are not dyeable, i have the shiverpeaks backpack and was hoping it would be. Alas, no. Honestly any backpack that has a glider skin thats dyeable youd think would be able to be changed to be dyed. But i dont know how their systems work.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019

They won't give out dye channels for free anyways, they're some of the most premium content in the game ever since mounts.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Terakura/Spellbreaker | ♀♥♀

• Ascension, warbringer and Ad infinitum should be made dyable. Discussion over.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:
    They need to at least retroactively update glider back pieces to have dye channels.

They didn't even update the gliders themselves to have dye channels. For example black and white wings are separate items.

Dye channels are present on some gliders but not all.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Terakura/Spellbreaker | ♀♥♀

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭

Of course I'd love dye channels on backpieces and glider skins but it's one of those things you just wait and see without getting your hopes up too much.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:

A lot of it would become redundant, too. There are 5bsets of wings (?), and only 2 styles.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

You know what would be expansion level content? Making older back pieces dyeable.

While a lot of them are certainly out of the question I think retroactively making the ones that already combo with dyable gliders should be a lot more feasible?

This is definitely a case of give an inch take a mile though as the patch straight up said old backpacks are not on the table.

Still though, you have given me an inch, now I want that mile. Look at that mile it's so vast and luxurious.

Best Dressed Memser NA.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

Rather than back pieces, I'd like weapons to be dyeable.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    You know what would be expansion level content? Making older back pieces dyeable.

While a lot of them are certainly out of the question I think retroactively making the ones that already combo with dyable gliders should be a lot more feasible?

This is definitely a case of give an inch take a mile though as the patch straight up said old backpacks are not on the table.

Still though, you have given me an inch, now I want that mile. Look at that mile it's so vast and luxurious.

I wouldent call that content at all, expansion level quality of life more likely.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019

@Linken.6345 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:

I wouldent call that content at all, expansion level quality of life more likely.

Expansion level fight me.

Best Dressed Memser NA.

• all the backpacks that have a dye-able glider should get this new framework to be able to dye em and include legendary backpacks to be able to dye as well as their the most time commitment items for the slot.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019

@Udolpho.1209 said:

Read as "we can't be bothered to work on those things, as we would not be able to sell them to you again".

Notice, how even the most recent stuff - one that has been done alongside this new feature - did not get the color channels. They could have implemented them in those, but decided not to. That was not a lack of capability, but a result of a design decision.
    So, perhaps legendaries would get the option at some point (although looking at how well dyes work on envoy sets - or rather how they don't work - i wouldn't be so sure about that), but we definitely shouldn't expect any of other old backpacks to ever get even a sliver of attention.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Udolpho.1209 said:

Read as "we can't be bothered to work on those things, as we would not be able to sell them to you again".

Notice, how even the most recent stuff - one that has been done alongside this new feature - did not get the color channels. They could have implemented them in those, but decided not to. That was not a lack of capability, but a result of a design decision.
    So, perhaps legendaries would get the option at some point (although looking at how well dyes work on envoy sets - or rather how they don't work - i wouldn't be so sure about that), but we definitely shouldn't expect any of other old backpacks to ever get even a sliver of attention.

Ain't this the truth. This new feature exists purely for the gemstore, I guess mount and glider sales have dried up so they need the next killer product, which is fine, I suppose. However, there's no profit in upgrading stuff that people already own so yeah, you're right that there's no chance they will go back and rework the older glider backpacks, for example.

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

This is a step in the right direction for back items. I've advocated for this for years. Glad to see ANET is not hiding behind the "its to hard" excuse anymore and gives me hope for things to come.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

There was tech to make all the legendary weapons be able to have their sigils removed at will. Im leening more to the "its too much work" excuse but i still thing they should at least do it for the blc items and the legendary backpieces.

Yeah there are too many backpieces that would need recoding. Others are sold specifically because they are different colors from the other one so that wouldn't fly either. I just wish they went back and added dye channels for legendary backs, because those are at least "special" enough in my eyes to deserve it.

Bite me.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

Now that ANet obviousl y has the tech set up to dye backpieces, all backpieces should be dyable. But as we learned from the past, they probably won't because looking back at content is not what ANet is about. The only thing we would get dyable backpieces if it was monetized in some way or another. Sad story is sad.

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

@lokh.2695 said:
    Now that ANet obviousl y has the tech set up to dye backpieces, all backpieces should be dyable. But as we learned from the past, they probably won't because looking back at content is not what ANet is about. The only thing we would get dyable backpieces if it was monetized in some way or another. Sad story is sad.

You can't just flip a switch and it's suddenly enabled for everything. They have to go through each piece individually and not only specify area but also other effects like metallic or what have you to enable it on every one. That's not worth the time investment when they could be making more new things with that tech enabled.

Bite me.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

@lokh.2695 said:

You can't just flip a switch and it's suddenly enabled for everything. They have to go through each piece individually and not only specify area but also other effects like metallic or what have you to enable it on every one. That's not worth the time investment when they could be making more new things with that tech enabled.

I can imagine it's not easy. It would just be great if they did, also it wouldn't separate dyeable from non dyeable backpieces if everything had at least one or two dye channels. But as I said, ANet will never look into retroactively making stuff dyable, so why bother. Everybodies cought up in the ZOMGITSCAPES hype anyway.

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• The only exception should be backpacks that have dyeable gliders that are combo. Otherwise I am fine with grandfathering old backs without dyeable gliders, which includes all three legendaries.

• Gopaka.7839Gopaka.7839 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019

I won't say Anet is going to make all back items dyable BUT do you think at least they gonna make the current legendary back items dyable ?
    I mean... there are only 3 legendary back items (The Ascension, Ad Infinitum and The Warbringer). Currently many people have some of them but they kinda don't fit in every fashion wars situation. For example... Ad Infinitum is good looking on someone dyed a bit purple. The Warbringer fits on someone fiery (but the normal kind of fire, not green or blue fire etc.). The Ascension looks good on someone with bright colors. So if someone wants to showoff with his legendary back item he needs to work around how the legendary back item is colored, thus we end up with 20 people in squad looking all the same in WvW, all fiery and red just like The Warbringer. I think being able to dye your legendary back item is going to put lots of freshness in to the game.
    Also is going to be great if you'll be able to dye all the back items that has glider combo in them... so far we can dye the gliders so don't see the problem adding the option on the back items as well at this point.
    Also the trinkets !!!
    I won't touch on the weapon subject... there are plenty of cool looking weapon sets that can work in any situation.

Well I would hope they did that, but I don't expect it.

Bite me.

• They mentioned somewhere that its not possible for older backback items due to technical reasons.
    I guess they would have to create a 2.0 version of the item, dyable, what might need an efford similar to create a complete new one they could make money with.
    Or sell as new content ...

• @Joe Farmer.2063 said:
    They mentioned somewhere that its not possible for older backback items due to technical reasons.
    I guess they would have to create a 2.0 version of the item, dyable, what might need an efford similar to create a complete new one they could make money with.

iirc exact wording was not "impossible" but "prohibitively difficult". And yeah I think they have also stated that creating new backpiece from a scratch would be easier way to go than editing old one.

• Here's the actual quote I found:

While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wrap-yourself-in-an-emblazoned-cape/

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@Joe Farmer.2063 said:
    They mentioned somewhere that its not possible for older backback items due to technical reasons.

iirc exact wording was not "impossible" but "prohibitively difficult". And yeah I think they have also stated that creating new backpiece from a scratch would be easier way to go than editing old one.

Yeah but would you agree that 3 legendary back item skins worth the effort ? And what does it mean "from scratch" ? Does it mean they have to make the whole 3D model all over again or just the overlay of the item and the visual infusion-like effects? In previous times I remember they've updated few visuals of some legendary weapons to make them more "legendary"-looking.
    Also my opinion is that they started adding the the dyable option at some point because they were considering adding the option to the game at later point. I think the option is there but it's not available to us yet. The question is at what point they started using this policy? Maybe they started before adding the legendary trinkets (Aurora - around July, 2017, Vision - May 28, 2019, Coalescence - June 11, 2019) and The Warbringer (June 6th, 2017). While other legendary back items may not have the option because they were added quite earlier in to the game - The Ascension (2016), Ad Infinitum (April 19, 2016).

• @Gopaka.7839 said:

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@Joe Farmer.2063 said:

Yeah but would you agree that 3 legendary back item skins worth the effort ? And what does it mean "from scratch" ? Does it mean they have to make the whole 3D model all over again or just the overlay of the item and the visual infusion-like effects? In previous times I remember they've updated few visuals of some legendary weapons to make them more "legendary"-looking.
    Also my opinion is that they started adding the the dyable option at some point because they were considering adding the option to the game at later point. I think the option is there but it's not available to us yet. The question is at what point they started using this policy? Maybe they started before adding the legendary trinkets (Aurora - around July, 2017, Vision - May 28, 2019, Coalescence - June 11, 2019) and The Warbringer (June 6th, 2017). While other legendary back items may not have the option because they were added quite earlier in to the game - The Ascension (2016), Ad Infinitum (April 19, 2016).

I agree that out of all backpacks legendaries would deserve such treatment (being remade to support dying).

I don't remember exact details, but it was more or less about all the textures shaders etc. - pretty much everything outside of the raw model. Simple "let's just enable dye channel here and there" would not work because dyes would look nothing like they are supposed to.

I think we are seeing here a bit of post-launch development - vanilla day one GW2 didn't have much (if any) renderable back pieces, they were added "ad hoc", gained traction and now AN is adapting how they are making them to support better system.

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭

Yep definitely the legendary backpacks should get the treatment, and the gem store glider skins also maybe when they rotate an old glider skin in the gem shop so they have time to do them 1 by 1. They will probably come as extra skin unlock like the Guild Cavalier weapons. But that is only if they bother revisiting the old skins.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2019

most old stuff arent designed with "color channels" in mind like the PVP one having more than 4 collor palletes, but luckly the Warbringer seems using only 3.

so beware what u desire, some old stuff probably will loss details to "fit" in 3~4 dye channels.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2019

I am sorry but their is no excuse for the Backpack/Glider combos. The dye set are done. The patterns are created Their is already both a model for the backpack and a model for the gliding. Literally no reason it would be easier to start new.

edited December 12, 2019

Oh, I see my topic has been moved over here. Lovely! Just For reference... the start of the topic was this:

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    I won't say Anet is going to make all back items dyable BUT do you think at least they gonna make the current legendary back items dyable ?
    I mean... there are only 3 legendary back items (The Ascension, Ad Infinitum and The Warbringer). Currently many people have some of them but they kinda don't fit in every fashion wars situation. For example... Ad Infinitum is good looking on someone dyed a bit purple. The Warbringer fits on someone fiery (but the normal kind of fire, not green or blue fire etc.). The Ascension looks good on someone with bright colors. So if someone wants to showoff with his legendary back item he needs to work around how the legendary back item is colored, thus we end up with 20 people in squad looking all the same in WvW, all fiery and red just like The Warbringer. I think being able to dye your legendary back item is going to put lots of freshness in to the game.
    Also is going to be great if you'll be able to dye all the back items that has glider combo in them... so far we can dye the gliders so don't see the problem adding the option on the back items as well at this point.
    Also the trinkets !!!
    I won't touch on the weapon subject... there are plenty of cool looking weapon sets that can work in any situation.

This means Anet is paying attention to this topic and maybe is doing something about it behind the scenes, fingers crossed ! :)