Trading Post Queries

Marrv.4760

Tried to search and could not find specific information so thought would ask;

When listing an item for sale on the trading post;1) If you list at the same price as another player are your items for sale sold after all of their items for sale have sold? (First to list, first to sell)2) Does it work the same with buy orders? (First to list, first to buy)3) I assume the is no way of finding out who your competition is, in order to maintain a competitive market?4) Lastly are the trading post prices solely player driven (have read around and the are comments along the lines of Anet influencing the market)

1 & 2 are the primary concerns

Thank you for your time.

p.s. if this has been answered and the answer is still accurate please let me know, I sometimes word my searches oddly so do not find them in forums.

The Trading Post is supposed to be FIFO for both buy and sell orders. Bugs could theoretically affect this, but the design intent is that people who listed first sell first and people who offered first buy first.

This is the main reason you will see 1c undercuts, it's a cheap way to "cut the line" and get your offer/listing looked at first.

@Marrv.4760 said:When listing an item for sale on the trading post;1) If you list at the same price as another player are your items for sale sold after all of their items for sale have sold? (First to list, first to sell)First to list = first to sell; that's been confirmed by a developer more than once.

2) Does it work the same with buy orders? (First to list, first to buy)Correct, first to offer is first to buy.

In both cases, there can be some oddities when someone adds to an existing listing. For example, you offer to buy 125 units at 1s each and someone else comes in to offer 1s to buy a stack and then you realize you meant to ask for 250, so you add 125 units to your listing. It could be that your entire stack is queued behind your competitor or that it goes 125 (you) → 250 (competition) → 125 (you). I'll see if I can find the post where the developer tried to break down all the possibilities for us.

3) I assume the is no way of finding out who your competition is, in order to maintain a competitive market?Use gw2tp.com or gw2bltc.com — they show you all the existing offers. If you register an account with 'bltc' and include your API key, you can keep track.

You can learn how many units are being requested/sold by how many people at a given price, but not the break down (e.g. '500' could be 499:1 or 250:250 etc) and it won't tell you if a patient competitor made multiple listings (e.g. 177 @1s, 1.01s, 1.02s instead of a stack at 1s).

4) Lastly are the trading post prices solely player driven (have read around and the are comments along the lines of Anet influencing the market)Entirely player driven; ANet never directly influences markets.(They obviously have a huge indirect impact, by changing faucets and sinks. But "ANet" as an entity doesn't post any trades at all.)

Players do ultimately set the price for an item, but there are ways Anet influences the market:

1. Having a vendor buy that item gives it a minimum price... the TP is programmed in such a way you cannot list an item lower than vendor price.
  2. Having a new and desirable use for an established item always drives the price up. You see this most often each time a new legendary is released

Archived