WvW Zerg tempest help

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Here’s the build I’m using for WvW Zerg play:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGiAgilZw0YdMFWJmSXftdA-zRpYPRCShLoQ2oAaDiyNszIHFQHSAjeQEjGSDglRPrA-e

But, I’m having a problem surviving in the full engagements of Zerg vs Zerg. I can last about half way through the engagement. Is there something in the build I need to change?

3 things I don’t want to change:1 d/d. I really like daggers.2 I can’t change my armor stats. No gold because of a gem store purchase. Trinkets are fair game though.3 tempest.

Thanks in advance!

Just for the record, you get free armor pieces (any stats) from Legacy Armor reward track, it takes less than a week to get all six parts.

Anyways for D/D auramancer you need to take Air, Water, Tempest, not Arcane, and you need to take at least a few Shouts. I understand what you're trying to do here, but this is a solo build that you're trying to use in a zerg, instead of helping your allies you'll become a liability and not contribute much to the group besides the very occasional aura, boon, heal or cleanse.

A properly built auramancer is healing, cleansing, buffing and giving auras constantly and is absurdly powerful support.

I'd share my build here, but its D/W and S/W.

@"Dahir.4158" said:What is your goal with this build? There are quite a few useless things in there, which makes me wonder what you want to achieve. And you can't do much with d/d in zerg fights. It's just not worth it.

That’s why I opened the thread, for discussion for what I’m doing wrong.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Just for the record, you get free armor pieces (any stats) from Legacy Armor reward track, it takes less than a week to get all six parts.

Anyways for D/D auramancer you need to take Air, Water, Tempest, not Arcane, and you need to take at least a few Shouts. I understand what you're trying to do here, but this is a solo build that you're trying to use in a zerg, instead of helping your allies you'll become a liability and not contribute much to the group besides the very occasional aura, boon, heal or cleanse.

A properly built auramancer is healing, cleansing, buffing and giving auras constantly and is absurdly powerful support.

Why Air though? Also, which shouts? The utilities I put in are because I feel like I just melt immediately without them.

For the armor it would take me much, much longer for that. I’m very casual nowadays. I might would finish just one track complete in several weeks. Also, isn’t that just exotic?

@"God.2708" said:Well... the short of it is a lot. Given the two conditions you've made though, something like this could see a little bit of use.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGiAgilRwaYdMGWJmaXftbA-zRhYKRCUFMbUAuhdG5oAyUCY0DiY0QaAsM6ZF-e

The build is trying to do way to kitten much though, and that's without factoring in D/D is pretty bad for zerg play.

Thanks for the input, I’ll take a look at the build. I know d d isn’t good zergplay. I also use staff for my second weapon, but only use it on occasion.

Take out cleansing wave and use soothing disruption. Switch your healing skill to ether. That's a start.

Next thing is, putting protection on yourself is more useful that signet is earth. The toughness is very low. So think of ways to get more prot instead of more toughness.

To use toughness, you need a lot of it. Not just what the signet gives you

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:What is your goal with this build? There are quite a few useless things in there, which makes me wonder what you want to achieve. And you can't do much with d/d in zerg fights. It's just not worth it.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Just for the record, you get free armor pieces (any stats) from Legacy Armor reward track, it takes less than a week to get all six parts.

Why Air though? Also, which shouts? The utilities I put in are because I feel like I just melt immediately without them.

For the armor it would take me much, much longer for that. I’m very casual nowadays. I might would finish just one track complete in several weeks. Also, isn’t that just exotic?

@"God.2708" said:Well... the short of it is a lot. Given the two conditions you've made though, something like this could see a little bit of use.

The build is trying to do way to kitten much though, and that's without factoring in D/D is pretty bad for zerg play.

Thanks for the input, I’ll take a look at the build. I know d d isn’t good zergplay. I also use staff for my second weapon, but only use it on occasion.

Without Air you're losing 2/6 boons that auramancer provides (permanent Fury and Swiftness), to allies. Without Shouts you're losing extra CC, Protection, reflects, group stunbreak, Superspeed, a cleanse, and extra cleanses on every cast with Trooper runes, as well as the benefits that their auras give, since they provide auras to allies directly even without aura sharing.

This is just a brief summary, but its all about trait synergy.

As for Exotics veresus Ascended, that 5% difference doesn't matter in a zerg, only for PvP. Ascended trinkets are already half your stats.

@Stallic.2397 said:Take out cleansing wave and use soothing disruption. Switch your healing skill to ether. That's a start.

Next thing is, putting protection on yourself is more useful that signet is earth. The toughness is very low. So think of ways to get more prot instead of more toughness.

To use toughness, you need a lot of it. Not just what the signet gives youI’m not really dying to condis, it’s the power damage and red circles of dps death.Yeah, I’m not a fan of the earth signet either, but I wanted to push to 3k armor, which I thought was a lot. You think that’s very low?@Hannelore.8153 said:

Without Air you're losing 2/6 boons that auramancer provides (permanent Fury and Swiftness), to allies. Without Shouts you're losing extra CC, Protection, reflects, group stunbreak, Superspeed, a cleanse, and extra cleanses on every cast with Trooper runes, as well as the benefits that their auras give, since they provide auras to allies directly even without aura sharing.

This is just a brief summary, but its all about trait synergy.

As for Exotics veresus Ascended, that 5% difference doesn't matter in a zerg, only for PvP. Ascended trinkets are already half your stats.

Would you mind sharing your build? I’d love to look over it.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:The build is a mess man. It lacks direction...are you a healer? A damage dealer? What is the Build you want to play supposed to do?

Once you answer that question, we can move forward.

The idea was to mimic a Celestial stat, Tempest build with D/D, however I find full Celestial stats a bit weak, dps-wise, so then I changed out my gear quite a bit, with the idea of still retaining the feel of Cele, but with more bite and less healing. I use more power/condi hybrid trinkets than what you see in the current build. It worked well solo/havoc but not so well in Zerg play. So then I started throwing as much toughness in the build as I could to help with personal survival.

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

@Stallic.2397 said:Take out cleansing wave and use soothing disruption. Switch your healing skill to ether. That's a start.

To use toughness, you need a lot of it. Not just what the signet gives youI’m not really dying to condis, it’s the power damage and red circles of dps death.Yeah, I’m not a fan of the earth signet either, but I wanted to push to 3k armor, which I thought was a lot. You think that’s very low?

3k toughness is a lot. Great for defense, but ineffective on an ele. If you're stating 3k toughness, then you're losing damage. A lot of damage.

It's more effecient to stat healing power for sustain, rather than damage reduction with toughness. Why? Cause you're using the water traitline. That traitline is all about healing through damage instead of reducing its damage. With healing power you can reheal yourself.

And with protection you get 33% damage reduction anyway. That's just one boon. Spamming prot would be more effecient that stating 3k toughness.

One way to spam prot is by spamming overloads, which grants protection. If you take air traitline instead of arcane, like others recommended, you can then spam Air overload. That grants damage and protection all at once.

@Stallic.2397 said:

To use toughness, you need a lot of it. Not just what the signet gives youI’m not really dying to condis, it’s the power damage and red circles of dps death.Yeah, I’m not a fan of the earth signet either, but I wanted to push to 3k armor, which I thought was a lot. You think that’s very low?

3k toughness is a lot. Great for defense, but ineffective on an ele. If you're stating 3k toughness, then you're losing damage. A lot of damage.

It's more effecient to stat healing power for sustain, rather than damage reduction with toughness. Why? Cause you're using the water traitline. That traitline is all about healing through damage instead of reducing its damage. With healing power you can reheal yourself.

And with protection you get 33% damage reduction anyway. That's just one boon. Spamming prot would be more effecient that stating 3k toughness.

One way to spam prot is by spamming overloads, which grants protection. If you take air traitline instead of arcane, like others recommended, you can then spam Air overload. That grants damage and protection all at once.I think I see what you meant by the toughness being low. You were referring to the Signet itself. Sorry for my poor reading comp skills.

Yeah, I hit like a wet noodle, lol!

So with Fresh Air trait I take it? I guess I just dismissed Air because I always looked at it as the pure Power stat line, but never thought about spamming the Air Overload with it.

The key to surviving zerg wvw combat is positioning. Stick to your tag where the other supports are, and where you can benefit from the target cap. Ride the lightning, earthen rush, lightning flash, and mist form are very useful tools for getting back on tag if you get out of position.

As for your build, you should stick to pure support or pure dps. Hybrid builds are very weak in zerg vs zerg.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:The key to surviving zerg wvw combat is positioning. Stick to your tag where the other supports are, and where you can benefit from the target cap. Ride the lightning, earthen rush, lightning flash, and mist form are very useful tools for getting back on tag if you get out of position.

As for your build, you should stick to pure support or pure dps. Hybrid builds are very weak in zerg vs zerg.

Yes, I agree.

If you're going to run dagger there really isn't a good reason to run the toughness signet over "Aftershock!" because the bulk of ranged damage is either projectile, necro condis, or nearly lethal (CoR/phase smash/drop the hammer/meteor shower) when you have 13K HP and the protection + immob will be far more useful ; "Flash freeze" also has -10% incoming damage from frost aura. Staff would afford you more offensive stats if it's for groups larger than 10 people.

3K armor isn't a lot if you only have 13K HP and in melee range. Heralds and weavers will be easily pushing over 3000 power , so as stated above, positioning is key.

If you are going for more of a damage angle you can run fresh air (although with such low power,precision and ferocity you won't be doing much) with Ferocious Winds, but for support you're better off running the earth traitline for damage reduction and more protection. Leave party swiftness/fury to heralds I'd say, don't run air traitline for that as they can do it permanently and on 10 people.For utilities: Most tempests run "Eye of the Storm" even if they aren't auramancers; weavers usually have twist of fate.