Controller

I don't think thats Possible for Gw2. Controller is just not compatible with Requirements. You need 10 Base buttons,1-5 Profession Based Buttons, 1 Action Button, 1 Dodge and whole lots of Miscellanious buttons, to press. I know of no Controller that has the capabillites to do that, but if you have one, let me know which one, cuase that would be quite Cool.

@Alatar.7364 said:I don't think thats Possible for Gw2. Controller is just not compatible with Requirements. You need 10 Base buttons,1-5 Profession Based Buttons, 1 Action Button, 1 Dodge and whole lots of Miscellanious buttons, to press. I know of no Controller that has the capabillites to do that, but if you have one, let me know which one, cuase that would be quite Cool.

Controller does work, have a guild mate that uses it to play the game with. He does read the forums at times so hopefully he might see this and chime in on mapping suggestions/experiences, else will try and catch him in voice tonight.

OP, I don't use one but when looking before its a matter of running a third party software and then linking your assigned keys in game keys to those mapped to the controller from the software. Take a look at xpadder as an example, there are probably others out there as well.

Hope that helps.

You have to either use the Steam controller (there's plenty of premade configs for GW2 with that), and run GW2 through steam, or use mapping software for Xbox gamepads like xpadder or something simmilar.

Guild wars 2 doesn't support controllers natively, and the interface is built around keyboard and mouse.

• 1 month later...

I can attest it works and actually makes the game more fun. And actually feels right when you play it. Partially die to turning it into the camera action mode. Idk how the one poster gets there is not enough buttons ?. Hello shift and ctrl. I figured out an amazing setup. Works in combat and most basic features out of it. But does require quite a bit of tweaking. And I use a ps4 controller to boot.

I am top DPS with 360 controller, it is both possible and viable. You can use any keyboard emulation software. You will need to play in action camera. You will need something like this:

RT: 1RB: 2LT + LB: 3LT + RB: 4LT + RT: 5LT + Y: 6

And so on. As you can see, you'll need to make a modifier button to make it all possible.

You'll also need to play with some options. Snap AoE to target is good. Oh and some classes you may struggle with, namely Ele and Engi. I never found good binds for F4 and F5.

I play GW2 with an Xbox controller using xpadder since beta and I still do.Here is a 5min video on how I play all 9 classes using a Controller.

Here is my XboxOne Controller layout :

[[Combat Mode]]

Right Stick = Camera (Action Cam)Left Stick = QWESLeft Stick Click = Auto-Run

Going clock wiseA = Skill 1X = Skill 2Y = Skill 3B = Skill 4RT = Skill 5

Going clock wiseLB + A = Skill 6LB + X = Skill 7LB + Y = Skill 8LB + B = Skill 9LB + RT = Skill 0

RB = DodgeLB + RB = Jump

Going clock wiseLeft Dpad = F1Up Dpad = F2Right Dpad = F3Down Dpad = F4LB + Down Dpad = F5

LB + Left Dpad = "Counter Magic"

LT + A = Call TargetLT + X = Tab Target EnemyLT + Y = Swap WeaponsLT + B = Escape / CancelLT + Up Dpad = Zoom InLT + Down Dpad = Zoom Out

[[Adventure Mode]]]

To toggle this mode, press the (Start Button) on Controller!

A = JumpX = InteractY = World MapB = Escape / cancel

RB = Dodge (good for stealth gliding)

LB = Toggle Mount

Up Dpad = Zoom InDown Dpad = Zoom Out

If you like me to show you in game, contact me on Skype!My Skype is: DreamyAbaddon

^ huh, I never thought of holding a button like a shift and then setting it as that in gw2 settings.Instead I have 3 button sets on xpadder that I use the shoulder buttons to switch between.

It's clunky though. I think I may have to try tweaking it as a shift and hold button instead hmmm

I play with a Steam controller & it actually gave a brand new feel to the game for me. Kind of felt like Kratos with some of the combos you could pull off lol. I still play with a keyboard in my lap for typing & other things you don't map to your controller, but just with the left back paddle as a mode shift key, you can fit a surprising amount of the commands you need on a controller. They have configs under the community tab on steam.

• 1 month later...

@"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:I play GW2 with an Xbox controller using xpadder since beta and I still do.Here is a 5min video on how I play all 9 classes using a Controller.

[[Combat Mode]]

Going clock wiseA = Skill 1X = Skill 2Y = Skill 3B = Skill 4RT = Skill 5

Going clock wiseLB + A = Skill 6LB + X = Skill 7LB + Y = Skill 8LB + B = Skill 9LB + RT = Skill 0

RB = DodgeLB + RB = Jump

Going clock wiseLeft Dpad = F1Up Dpad = F2Right Dpad = F3Down Dpad = F4LB + Down Dpad = F5

LT + A = Call TargetLT + X = Tab Target EnemyLT + Y = Swap WeaponsLT + B = Escape / CancelLT + Up Dpad = Zoom InLT + Down Dpad = Zoom Out

[[Adventure Mode]]]

LB = Toggle Mount

If you like me to show you in game, contact me on Skype!My Skype is: DreamyAbaddon

where is the mouse controls for this set up? it dont look like you use any at all.

@Dragon.9564 said:

@"DreamyAbaddon.3265" said:I play GW2 with an Xbox controller using xpadder since beta and I still do.Here is a 5min video on how I play all 9 classes using a Controller.

[[Combat Mode]]

Right Stick = Camera (Action Cam)Left Stick = QWESLeft Stick
Click
= Auto-Run

Going clock wise
A = Skill 1X = Skill 2Y = Skill 3B = Skill 4RT = Skill 5

Going clock wise
LB + A = Skill 6LB + X = Skill 7LB + Y = Skill 8LB + B = Skill 9LB + RT = Skill 0

RB = DodgeLB + RB = Jump

Going clock wise
Left Dpad = F1Up Dpad = F2Right Dpad = F3Down Dpad = F4LB + Down Dpad = F5

[[Adventure Mode]]]

Click
= Auto-Run

LB = Toggle Mount

where is the mouse controls for this set up? it dont look like you use any at all.

While in Action Cam, if you hit a menu key, the cursor will appear, when you close all menus, then the cursor will dissapear. The right stick controls the cursor. But when using a menu I figured you'd probably prefer to use a mouse anyways.

@Dragon.9564 said:

[[Combat Mode]]

Click
= Auto-Run

Going clock wise
A = Skill 1X = Skill 2Y = Skill 3B = Skill 4RT = Skill 5

Going clock wise
LB + A = Skill 6LB + X = Skill 7LB + Y = Skill 8LB + B = Skill 9LB + RT = Skill 0

RB = DodgeLB + RB = Jump

Going clock wise
Left Dpad = F1Up Dpad = F2Right Dpad = F3Down Dpad = F4LB + Down Dpad = F5

[[Adventure Mode]]]

Click
= Auto-Run

LB = Toggle Mount

I know you didn't ask me but,..

I use a usb mini mouse/keyboard. .they're a tenner from china.Menu searching etc isn't conductive to a controller, so it's better to switch to a mouse.

I do have my right thumbstick set as a mouse tho (moves camera in action cam, but mouse when in pointer mode) and do use it for simple "next/ok" text boxes. It's a bit slow to move, so I usually just switch to my mouse pad thing.

It is very possible. I have one myself. Depending on what you want to use. I use a steam controller only cause there is a mouse eff in the controller. However to do this. You first need a controller your pc can talk to.

Second make a steam account. It’s free.Make your steam controller connected to steam.

Then add guild wars 2 as non steam game to steam so you can open it with steam.

After that open up big screen mode then click on the guild wars 2 client to open on steam. But wait click on configuration. This is how you configure your controller.

Personally I would throw in my maps but it depends on the player who think it’s easy. I’m a lefty so my controls are on the opposite side as most.

Go in the configuration and make sure you have everything mapped. If you need to remap, change some keys in guild wars 2. And then change into steam to make it easier.

When done configuring open gw2 in the steam client, in big picture mode.

Type in password and enjoy. It’s very simple and works. I don’t recommend a controller in pvp or raids or fractals. Pve and just questing and collections. Do that but competitive till your fast with it is when you can. However controller and competitive I don’t recommend. It’s too slow.

@"Alatar.7364" said:I don't think thats Possible for Gw2. Controller is just not compatible with Requirements. You need 10 Base buttons,1-5 Profession Based Buttons, 1 Action Button, 1 Dodge and whole lots of Miscellanious buttons, to press. I know of no Controller that has the capabillites to do that, but if you have one, let me know which one, cuase that would be quite Cool.

Pinnical allows for toggle buttons (AKA: shift buttons) that allow you to double and even triple the function of your controller buttons, so, it's not the controller that needs to be powerful, but the programs you use. I used to use a controller, before swapping to Razer Naga Mouse and Tartarus.

Each has their own advantages.

@"Alatar.7364" said:I don't think thats Possible for Gw2. Controller is just not compatible with Requirements. You need 10 Base buttons,1-5 Profession Based Buttons, 1 Action Button, 1 Dodge and whole lots of Miscellanious buttons, to press. I know of no Controller that has the capabillites to do that, but if you have one, let me know which one, cuase that would be quite Cool.

Four buttons with L and R bumper and trigger is 20 buttons. The steam controller has two more buttons on the back. The only thing I don't like about playing with the steam controller is the "touch screen" camera control.

• 4 months later...

Archived