ATs Waste Excessive Time

Ryan.9387

Whether though implementation or the state of the game, ATs have turned into a huge waste of time in the literal sense. I have been doing ATs 1-2 times daily for the past couple of weeks and here is our general experience:

10:00-10:15 - Wait for AT to start in party10:15-10:17 - Wait for the 1st bye10:17-10:30 - Wait for first round to finish10:30-10:34 - Wait for people to accept10:34-10:36 - Wait for game to load and countdown timer to proceed10:36 -10:45 - Gameplay! (but generally one sided)10:45-10:48 - Wait for other matches to finish10:48-10:52 - Wait for people to accept10:52-10:54 - Wait for game to load and countdown timer to proceed10:54-11:04 - Gameplay! (Usually challenging)

So in this case, which isn't super unusual, my team spent 64 minutes for 19 minutes of game play. Over 70% of the time is spent just waiting for matches to start. If you don't count the normally one sided games, the figure gets much worse, say 84% of time is not playing engaging matches. This is bad considering ATs are the only structured form of team pvp left. If we ever get adjustments to tournaments or swiss I believe everyone would appreciate if the downtime between games is reduced through design.

@Ryan.9387 said:Whether though implementation of the state of the game, ATs have turned into a huge waste of time in the literal sense. I have been doing ATs 1-2 times daily for the past couple of weeks and here is our general experience:

10:00-10:15 - Wait for AT to start in party10:15-10:17 - Wait for the 1st bye10:17-10:30 - Wait for first round to finish10:30-10:34 - Wait for people to accept10:34-10:36 - Wait for game to load and countdown timer to proceed10:36 -10:45 - Gameplay! (but generally one sided)10:45-10:48 - Wait for other matches to finish10:48-10:52 - Wait for people to accept10:52-10:54 - Wait for game to load and countdown timer to proceed10:54-11:04 - Gameplay! (Usually challenging)

So in this case, which isn't super unusual, my team spent 64 minutes for 19 minutes of game play. Over 70% of the time is spent just waiting for matches to start. If you don't count the normally one sided games, the figure gets much worse, say 84% of time is not playing engaging matches. This is bad considering ATs are the only structured form of team pvp left. If we ever get adjustments to tournaments or swiss I believe everyone would appreciate if the downtime between games is reduced by through design.

They should 100% reduce the time to accept the pop of game to like 1-2 minutes max, 5 minutes to push the delay is excessive imo

@Ryan.9387 said:Whether though implementation or the state of the game, ATs have turned into a huge waste of time in the literal sense. I have been doing ATs 1-2 times daily for the past couple of weeks and here is our general experience:

So in this case, which isn't super unusual, my team spent 64 minutes for 19 minutes of game play. Over 70% of the time is spent just waiting for matches to start. If you don't count the normally one sided games, the figure gets much worse, say 84% of time is not playing engaging matches. This is bad considering ATs are the only structured form of team pvp left. If we ever get adjustments to tournaments or swiss I believe everyone would appreciate if the downtime between games is reduced by through design.

I don't think there is much they can do to fix that. This is just how tournament play is, lots of waiting.

However, this is a solid reason as to why we should be able to spectate matches while waiting in AT queues. It really would help to ease over the pain of spending so much time waiting for matches.

@Asuran.5469 said:

@Ryan.9387 said:Whether though implementation or the state of the game, ATs have turned into a huge waste of time in the literal sense. I have been doing ATs 1-2 times daily for the past couple of weeks and here is our general experience:

I don't think there is much they can do to fix that. This is just how tournament play is, lots of waiting.

However, this is a solid reason as to why we should be able to spectate matches while waiting in AT queues. It really would help to ease over the pain of spending so much time waiting for matches.Technical limitations prevent them from doing so.

@phokus.8934 said:

However, this is a solid reason as to why we should be able to spectate matches while waiting in AT queues. It really would help to ease over the pain of spending so much time waiting for matches.Technical limitations prevent them from doing so.

It is funny how something you could do in GW1 is impossible to do in GW2 due to technical limitations.

@phokus.8934 said:

Or they just don't wanna do that

I agree. The signup time of 15 minutes and the 5 min accept time are definitely too long. I'd say 5 minutes signup time and and 2 minutes accept time are easily enough. The byes probably can't be avoided, unless you fix the number of teams to 8/16/32, which would probably prevent some teams from playing who have signed up.

@Falan.1839 said:I agree. The signup time of 15 minutes and the 5 min accept time are definitely too long. I'd say 5 minutes signup time and and 2 minutes accept time are easily enough. The byes probably can't be avoided, unless you fix the number of teams to 8/16/32, which would probably prevent some teams from playing who have signed up.

Reducing signup time wont make a difference.

@Avatar.3568 said:

Or they just don't wanna do thatI’m sure they do want to do it but how spectating games work would have to change. And it’s probably not a trivial thing to change and they have to weigh that against other features to implement.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

@Falan.1839 said:I agree. The signup time of 15 minutes and the 5 min accept time are definitely too long. I'd say 5 minutes signup time and and 2 minutes accept time are easily enough. The byes probably can't be avoided, unless you fix the number of teams to 8/16/32, which would probably prevent some teams from playing who have signed up.

Reducing signup time wont make a difference.

Maybe not on paper, but in reality you usually build grps before signup time unless you have a static 5 men team that always place together in the same comp, which is the exception. So de facto it does.

I have played only 3 or 4 tournaments mostly because 'timing issue' - could play several normal games during the wait.But I really liked tournaments because it allows to choice five same classes - last one we have 5 Guardians vs 5 Elementalists! It was amazing experience!Decrease waiting time, put more scheduled tournaments in a day and maybe reduce rewards to prevent over-farming gold (maybe) - would be nice!