Braham's Future (Spoiler maybe?)

UnbentMars.9126

Something that just occurred to me:

Many of us were taken aback at Braham's behavior and angry reaction to us at several points in the LS3 story, but we attributed it entirely to Eir's death.

I think we are forgetting something.

Jormag, per the Wiki, has powers over the mind and emotions and the Wiki straight up says that many who have challenged it and its champions directly have returned as corrupted frostbrood after it turns them. The Sons of Svanir, Svanir himself, corrupted Kodan, etc. are all examples of this. What if Braham is in the beginning stages of this corruption, as it is causing him to lash out at his friends and allies even so far as to bar us from helping him and his new guild?

Could Braham be following the same path as Svanir?

@UnbentMars.9126 said:Something that just occurred to me:

Many of us were taken aback at Braham's behavior and angry reaction to us at several points in the LS3 story, but we attributed it entirely to Eir's death.

Jormag, per the Wiki, has powers over the mind and emotions and the Wiki straight up says that many who have challenged it and its champions directly have returned as corrupted frostbrood after it turns them. The Sons of Svanir, Svanir himself, corrupted Kodan, etc. are all examples of this. What if Braham is in the beginning stages of this corruption, as it is causing him to lash out at his friends and allies even so far as to bar us from helping him and his new guild?

That would actually be pretty cool, specially if we can reproduce/improve the Forgotten cleansing ritual to "cure" him after he fights us back. He could even be the one to wake Jormag back up. But I'm not sure Anet is going to pull that off; Rox is still accompanying him and she seems totally fine, for instance. Perhaps they are going for a more sober "coming of age" arc this time.

@UnbentMars.9126 said:Could Braham be following the same path as Svanir?

I doubt it. Braham is too passionate to kill Jormag while Svanir embraced the Dragon's promised "gifts" and the Sons choose to serve the Dragon. He's a follower of the Wolf Spirit thus he values the members of his pack and when one of them falls, it's safe to assume that him going on an offensive is to protect the pack. So, I assume that he is simply behaving just as he was taught. In case of Eir, I think she values the other Spirits, not just Wolf.

When we first met Braham, in some cut scene, Eir and Knut has this exchange;

Knut Whitebear: He has Bear's backbone and Raven's wit.Eir Stegalkin: Yes. He got those from his father. I just wish he didn't also have Wolf's heart.

When Eir died, the heart of Wolf awakened.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

I doubt it. Braham is too passionate to kill Jormag while Svanir embraced the Dragon's promised "gifts" and the Sons choose to serve the Dragon. He's a follower of the Wolf Spirit thus he values the members of his pack and when one of them falls, it's safe to assume that him going on an offensive is to protect the pack. So, I assume that he is simply behaving just as he was taught. In case of Eir, I think she values the other Spirits, not just Wolf.

Knut Whitebear: He has Bear's backbone and Raven's wit.Eir Stegalkin: Yes. He got those from his father. I just wish he didn't also have Wolf's heart.

That's a very good point, though the Wiki states: "Whenever a group of norn attack Jormag or its champions, the men always return as icebrood, attacking the source of the group of norn in revenge." Source:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jormag so I don't know if I'd call him safe.

Do we have any specified in-game answer if Jormag's control requires willingness (at least in the early stages)? Braham might still be at risk even if he starts out against it, depending on how much time he's spent in proximity especially since he was right in front of Jormag when it was affected by Taimi's machine and forced back to sleep.

@maxwelgm.4315 said:

@UnbentMars.9126 said:Something that just occurred to me:

That would actually be pretty cool, specially if we can reproduce/improve the Forgotten cleansing ritual to "cure" him after he fights us back. He could even be the one to wake Jormag back up. But I'm not sure Anet is going to pull that off; Rox is still accompanying him and she seems totally fine, for instance. Perhaps they are going for a more sober "coming of age" arc this time.

Do we know if that ritual works against magic other than Zhaitan's? Was it the same ritual used against Kralkatorrik's magic to free Glint or was that different? It's been awhile since I ran Arah x(

@UnbentMars.9126 said:

That's a very good point, though the Wiki states: "Whenever a group of norn attack Jormag or its champions, the men always return as icebrood, attacking the source of the group of norn in revenge." Source:
so I don't know if I'd call him safe.

Do we have any specified in-game answer if Jormag's control requires willingness (at least in the early stages)? Braham might still be at risk even if he starts out against it, depending on how much time he's spent in proximity especially since he was right in front of Jormag when it was affected by Taimi's machine and forced back to sleep.

I just did my Necro's personal story in Priory path where we were trying to retrieve the Sanguinary Blade/Sword. The dialog before we attack the camp was they choose to follow Jormag. However, I'm not sure if it's a requirement.

Brahams motovations to me are a bit different. I don't buy he's angry over Avenging Eir's death. First she died in HoT to mordemoths minions not jormag, second he helped kill mordemoth so vengence was had.

I personally think his anger is more personal. Brahams father Borje was a legendary hero, Eir was a Legendary hero, Braham sees himself as an "also was". The commander is a legendary hero we slayed zhiatan. We slayed Mordemoth, we avenged Eir's death he was also there.

His anger is rooted in envy of our legend and jealousy. That's why he makes a point that "only we" can kill elder dragons. Its why he refuses to join Dragon's Watch. It's why he is rallying the Norn to fight Jormag alone without the other races and certainly without us.

But you know he can't stop us from doing what we want so we just have to deal with buthurt Barham, because you know we have killed two Elder Dragons and now a fallen god what has he done?

As for his future clearly attacking Jormag wont go well and possibly we will have to use the forgotten ritual to cleanse him of jormag's influence.

@UnbentMars.9126 said:Do we know if that ritual works against magic other than Zhaitan's? Was it the same ritual used against Kralkatorrik's magic to free Glint or was that different? It's been awhile since I ran Arah x(

It's the same ritual used on both Glint and the risen chicken. The same ritual might have even been used on the Pale Tree and Malyck's Tree when they were seeds, since there's no other explanation for why they'd be cleansed of dragon corruption.

I am looking forward to what they will do with him and how long are they planning for him to do with him. There is an npc near the encampment that is to take down jormag claw that looks to be a former svanir that has a somewhat weak connection to jormag as I assume all other minons of jormag has. They could have him go good dark good again.

@Rognik.2579 said:Braham will not become a Son of Svanir. For that to happen, he has to choose to follow the Dragon spirit and accept Jormag's power. He COULD become an Icebrood, as all that requires is dying close enough to Jormag to be turned into a frozen minion.

But could Jormag's influence eventually morph his mind into accepting it? I can't find any specific evidence in either direction...

Aside from one specific event, where we interrupt a ceremony of the Svanir turning a norn into an Icebrood, we don't really know Icebrood are made. I feel Braham's hatred towards dragons means he will never willingly join a dragon, but that doesn't mean his corpse won't be turned into one of his puppets.

@Oglaf.1074 said:As long as he doesn't become Trahearne 2.0 and my Norn character is reduced to a passive spectator as he does all the important stuff, I'd be happy with whatever fate he gets.

The humor is that Trahearne never did important stuff and the PC was never a spectator in this game.

It would actually be a first if the PC was ever a spectator. And a first if the PC didn't get credit for its deeds (except in obvious joke cases like Zehtuka.

R.I.P. Zehtuka, no greater hero there was... except Joko.

Praise Joko, slayer of Abaddon, Zhaitan, and Mordremoth!

@Mickey Frogeater.1470 said:Jormag is sleeping. The only way Braham is going to wake him up is to become corrupted. This is a certainty. Whether or not he's in the early stages of corruption or just being hot tempered is the question.

The corruption angle would explain the irrational temper towards you as the Commander. As long as Rox doesn't perish, I'm fine with a potential cleanse of Jormag corruption potentially killing him.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rognik.2579 said:Aside from one specific event, where we interrupt a ceremony of the Svanir turning a norn into an Icebrood, we don't really know Icebrood are made. I feel Braham's hatred towards dragons means he will never willingly join a dragon, but that doesn't mean his corpse won't be turned into one of his puppets.

I just played through the story path of Honor of the Waves, and I had completely forgotten what happened in it.

The Voice of Koda was alive and forcibly converted to an icebrood by one of the powerful norn icebrood. This proves that you do not need to be willing or dead to be converted.

@dusanyu.4057 said:i figure Braham will eventually step in something that will bite his foot we will have to jump in before he looses it completely

Most likely. That or he'll end up causing something he can't fix and get somebody he cares about (ie Rox) killed and will spend the rest of the story from then on atoning for it, being unable to blame anybody but himself. Bonus points if he admits he loved her.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:As long as he doesn't become Trahearne 2.0 and my Norn character is reduced to a passive spectator as he does all the important stuff, I'd be happy with whatever fate he gets.

The humor is that Trahearne never did important stuff and the PC was never a spectator in this game.

It would actually be a first if the PC was ever a spectator. And a first if the PC didn't get credit for its deeds (except in obvious joke cases like

as a good adept of self-praise, I do not doubt that when he returns, instead of pursuing the comander he will enjoy create some history to say that it was he who defeated Balthazar.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

It would actually be a first if the PC was ever a spectator. And a first if the PC didn't get credit for its deeds (except in obvious joke cases like

as a good adept of self-praise, I do not doubt that when he returns, instead of pursuing the comander he will enjoy create some history to say that it was he who defeated Balthazar.

Multitasking !

@RyuDragnier.9476 said:

@dusanyu.4057 said:i figure Braham will eventually step in something that will bite his foot we will have to jump in before he looses it completely

Most likely. That or he'll end up causing something he can't fix and get somebody he cares about (ie Rox) killed and will spend the rest of the story from then on atoning for it, being unable to blame anybody but himself. Bonus points if he admits he loved her.

i hope they don't Kill Rox of all of the Dragons Watch NPCs she is one of more Reliable and down to earth.

Archived