Forum Update: Images!! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Forum Update: Images!!

We’re happy to announce that you may now embed images or videos on our forums through four major hosts: Tumblr, Imgur, YouTube, and Instagram.

To embed an image, click the small landscape icon to the far right of the editing options bar and input the URL into the indicated field. Your image then will be shared on the forums in thumbnail form, allowing member to click through to the larger photograph, screenshot, or piece of art. Please be sure to restrict image size to 2 MB or less.

We believe that expanding your options for sharing images will enhance our forum community, and we look forward to seeing what you share!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<<1

Comments

  • UnbentMars.9126UnbentMars.9126 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    Awesome! Let's see if this includes gifs...

    https://i.imgur.com/9lz3KTy.mp4

    EDIT: I think I did it wrong...

    "Beware those who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    Tempest, Spellbreaker, Mirage, Scourge
    [AGNY] - Eternal Agony Guild, Sanctum of Rall

  • @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    We’re happy to announce that you may now embed images or videos on our forums through four major hosts: Tumblr, Imgur, YouTube, and Instagram.

    Nice addition :smiley:

  • It's better than what we had before. Thanks for the announcement.

  • Must the 'thumbnails' be so LARGE? Geez.

  • shadow.6174shadow.6174 Member ✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    Meh, still relying on external sources sux, but being able to have a thumbnail is a good improvement. As others may have mentioned, the size needs some tweaking though.

    @Shikigami.4013 said:
    What is the reason for letting people include images in their actual post but being scared of allowing people to use images for their avatars? I cannot find any justification for keeping the "no image upload allowed" policy for your avatar when you can include any image into any of your posts.

    Simple answer: storage. Apparently Anet isn't willing to host images anymore and then because relying on external sources for images in posts and a limited list of avatars. Although their official reason is "security", that doesn't make any sense at all (and a subject for another thread).

  • AegisRunestone.8672AegisRunestone.8672 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Must the 'thumbnails' be so LARGE? Geez.

    Imgur has a way of posting an image with a small thumbnail.
    Example:

    This is a medium thumbnail of a 1366x768 pic. The difference is an "m" was added at the end of "Py" in the url link.
    When you open your image from your "images" section (you click on the image), there should be a "sizes" option near the bottom of the window. There you select different sizes, and imgur gives you the link for the "re-sized" image.

    Edit: OH. I see what you're referring to. Yup, those are big thumbnails the forums are using. :p

    The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭

    @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Must the 'thumbnails' be so LARGE? Geez.

    Imgur has a way of posting an image with a small thumbnail.
    Example:

    This is a medium thumbnail of a 1366x768 pic. The difference is an "m" was added at the end of "Py" in the url link.
    When you open your image from your "images" section (you click on the image), there should be a "sizes" option near the bottom of the window. There you select different sizes, and imgur gives you the link for the "re-sized" image.

    Edit: OH. I see what you're referring to. Yup, those are big thumbnails the forums are using. :p

    Thanks for that. :)

    It appears to be posting pictures at full size by default, so it's good to know there are options to re-size them, at least with 1 site.

    Danielle Aurorel - Desolation (EU). Mini Pet Collector.

    "Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair."

  • It's unfortunate they don't default to a more common 'thumbnail' size, with the option to make them a different size. There's enough scrolling in these new forums as is.

  • @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I am going to investigate the image visibility question. I anticipated we'd get standard expandable thumbnails, not thumbnails the size of Jormag! ;)

    Yay! Thank you.

  • @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Shadow -- you're completely mistaken. We have no issues or concerns about storage -- that is positively not the reason for our image policies. The prohibition against random uploads is based on security and on maintaining an acceptable standard for our private forums. Having vetted four sources for how they function on our forum, we've green-lighted Tumblr, Imgur, YouTube, and Instagram. I think that's great, because those are four major sites that are easy to use.

    Well, I just meant that based on the statement that uploads were prohibited due "security issues" (I have even discussed that in another thread). I just can't see how self-hosted images can cause "security issues" and what I mean with that are issues like vulnerabilities allowing some unauthorized access or damage to the server. Images just can't cause or allow that so easily.

    However, if the reason is "to keep an acceptable standard and preventing unappropriated content", that's very reasonable and understandable. And that type of issue has nothing to do with "security" in my view (maybe it's a language trick, I'm not native English speaker). I even agree that spending time reviewing unappropriated images is unreasonable and better spent somewhere else.

    Maybe this type of issue was quickly dealt away from our eyes in the old forums then it seemed it hadn't had such type of issue, that made it hard to understand it as a reason here. It's then why I made the assumption that it had to do with storage. That, plus the fact the new forums are hosted in a third party server (with possibly limited storage)... led me to that guess.

    Anyway, if it's to keep a "good standard and prevent unappropriated content", it's very understandable. But saying the reason is "security" doesn't make much sense. External links are way less safe, but at least with thumbnails it's somewhat less risky now.

    P.S.: Actually, even using external sources it's still possible to have unappropriated content poping up here... hmm...

  • crashburntoo.7431crashburntoo.7431 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    Let's test this out! Edit: Yikes, that's huge... adjusting... Edit#2: All better, thanks @AegisRunestone.8672 for the resizing instruction

    There must be a balance struck with truth and kindness. Be bold when you stand for truth, but be gentle as well.

  • @Danikat.8537 said:

    @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Must the 'thumbnails' be so LARGE? Geez.

    Imgur has a way of posting an image with a small thumbnail.
    Example:

    This is a medium thumbnail of a 1366x768 pic. The difference is an "m" was added at the end of "Py" in the url link.
    When you open your image from your "images" section (you click on the image), there should be a "sizes" option near the bottom of the window. There you select different sizes, and imgur gives you the link for the "re-sized" image.

    Edit: OH. I see what you're referring to. Yup, those are big thumbnails the forums are using. :p

    Thanks for that. :)

    It appears to be posting pictures at full size by default, so it's good to know there are options to re-size them, at least with 1 site.

    No problemo!

    The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

  • Conncept.7638Conncept.7638 Member ✭✭✭

    Sweet, now we can have the post-your-character/post-your-look threads like we did in the old forums.

  • Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭

    ... I'm gonna have to start using Imgur, aren't I. All my zillions of saved shots on TinyPic won't cut it here :(

    Glad there will be visuals again, though, I hated clicking to outside links to see pics!

  • @Donari.5237 said:
    ... I'm gonna have to start using Imgur, aren't I. All my zillions of saved shots on TinyPic won't cut it here :(

    Glad there will be visuals again, though, I hated clicking to outside links to see pics!

    You can always post those images to Imgur (pro-tip, don't make them public if you don't want to flood their front page) and then link from your private stash

    "Beware those who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    Tempest, Spellbreaker, Mirage, Scourge
    [AGNY] - Eternal Agony Guild, Sanctum of Rall

  • Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭

    Why cant we find them on our comp and post from there? Ive been forming for years and URLS still make zero sense and I can never get them to work

    I have the high ground.

  • Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I'm happy we have a way to allow images. We've progressed from "absolutely none, ever" to two hosts, and now four. I tend to be a "glass half full" kind of person, anyway, but I'd ask that this not become a "But I want more" or "But I want it my way." It is what it is, and progress has been made. Will more be made in the future? Perhaps. But for now, we are where we are and you can have confidence that I will be advocating for more in the future, on the behalf of all of us, if and when it is feasible.

    Thanks for the reply! I am grateful to have any ability, and was inquiring about that method, especially since it was present on the old forums

    I have the high ground.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭

    @Donari.5237 said:
    ... I'm gonna have to start using Imgur, aren't I. All my zillions of saved shots on TinyPic won't cut it here :(

    Glad there will be visuals again, though, I hated clicking to outside links to see pics!

    Imgur isn't a bad site. I only recently signed up after Photobucket (which I'd been using for over 10 years) finally got so utterly useless even I gave up on it. It actually took me less time to create an account on Imgur, set it up so my pictures aren't public and no one can see them unless I provide a link and upload my first image than it took to upload the same image to my existing Photobucket account.

    You can also drag and drop to upload multiple images, so you could possibly copy them over in batches. Although I opted for a fresh start - 10 years of every random thing I wanted online was kind of cool for nostalgia but not really useful.

    Danielle Aurorel - Desolation (EU). Mini Pet Collector.

    "Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair."

  • SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭

    I am sure many were using tinypic because it was the earlier image host, in other words, the people using tinypic have been using the internet for a very long time.

    Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

  • Yay finally! And yea i still use tinypic :3

  • Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭

    It wont work :disappointed:
    I am clicking on the photo icon next to the smiley icon and write in my image's link but nothing happens after that! :disappointed_relieved:

    | GW1 2008~ | GW2 BETA player | Separatist | Nightmare Court | Ebonhawke | Ascalon | White Mantle | | 71 characters | Sweden | Make Dervish (Scythe) and Paragon (Spear) playable to us players too! |

  • Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017

    @Alga.6498 said:
    It wont work :disappointed:
    I am clicking on the photo icon next to the smiley icon and write in my image's link but nothing happens after that! :disappointed_relieved:

    Read this and see if it helps

    Guide: How to Upload & Post your own images on these Forums

    Be careful what you ask for.
    ANet might give it to you.

  • Utterly delightful news! <3

    Click me!

    ......(>'o')>......^( 'o' )^......<('o'<)......<('o' )>......^( 'o' )^......<( 'o')>......(>'o')>......^( 'o' )^......<('o'<)......

  • Cerby.1069Cerby.1069 Member ✭✭✭

    @Shikigami.4013 said:
    What is the reason for letting people include images in their actual post but being scared of allowing people to use images for their avatars? I cannot find any justification for keeping the "no image upload allowed" policy for your avatar when you can include any image into any of your posts.

    Considering you cant delete posts and we couldn't even do thumbnails in the text like on the old forums cause it was "a security threat"....

    Well I'm sure the answer isn't incompetence. for suuuuuuure

  • Late to this new stuff!

    So avatars are still as is albeit with an extended list of choices? Shame as I'd like my own custom one... Still, this is grand progress and great to see!

    Thank you!

  • Good to see ArenaNet implementing the basics of a forum. :)

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Must the 'thumbnails' be so LARGE? Geez.

    If their hands are that big, imagine the size of their feet!!!

    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. -- Ronald Reagan

  • Juba.8406Juba.8406 Member ✭✭

    Text size, Text color and the White spaces.

    For the love of Balthazar, please.

  • Llethander.3972Llethander.3972 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017

    Definitely not self-explanatory. Thanks to the user who wrote the tutorial on how to actually do this.

  • The Revenant.4970The Revenant.4970 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017


    Success!!!

  • Good to know :D

<<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.