Can you dye the Starlight Wings Backpack?

Josiah.2967

@lokh.2695 said:

@"Fire Attunement.9835" said:You can! It has four dye channels.

ETA: The backpack and the glider each have four dye channels, to clarify.

Any plans on making existing Backpieces/Gliders dyeable?

They said this about the previous backpieces: “While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future”[source]

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

They said this about the previous backpieces: “While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future”

Sad story is sad, not that I had any hopes in this regard. ANet never looks back at things.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

They said this about the previous backpieces: “While we cannot add dye channels to existing backpieces, keep an eye out for dyeable backpacks of different styles in the future”

I've seen that quote, but I really don't think that can be the case. Even if there's some sort of technical issue with changing an existing item, they could handle it like they did with other items by allowing players who have an existing item to be able to get a new one with upgraded functionality either by an in-game mail or from a vendor. This is pretty much what they did when they changed "town clothes" to be replaced by the outfit system.

Now, whether that's something that is worth the work that would take, I don't know. I'd love to see some of my existing back pieces (particularly the ones that have a matching glider) to have dye channels, but there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to see developed, such as additional elite specs, features, etc.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

I've seen that quote, but I really don't think that can be the case. Even if there's some sort of technical issue with changing an existing item, they could handle it like they did with other items by allowing players who have an existing item to be able to get a new one with upgraded functionality either by an in-game mail or from a vendor. This is pretty much what they did when they changed "town clothes" to be replaced by the outfit system.

Now, whether that's something that is worth the work that would take, I don't know. I'd love to see some of my existing back pieces (particularly the ones that have a matching glider) to have dye channels, but there's a lot of other stuff I'd like to see developed, such as additional elite specs, features, etc.

When they say they can't do it they mean there's not enough money in it to justify spending the time and resources to do so.

They could do it, they've proven its possible, it's just not worth it.

@lokh.2695 said:

Sad story is sad, not that I had any hopes in this regard. ANet never looks back at things.

See also https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/93929/should-arena-net-revisit-gliders-with-back-items-and-make-them-dyable

@lokh.2695 said:

Through, can't they simply redo the old ones? You redo it, release it, offer it for free for those who already had it (can be checked in account) and then delete the ancient version? Everyone would be happy.Same price for players who have it, same price for one without it. Only 1 to pay. (Speak about backpacks)

(Edit: I speak about recreating the backpacks using the new code/asset type, I'm not asking to do it on the existing backpacks.)

@hugo.4705 said:

Through, can't they simply redo the old ones? You redo it, release it, offer it for free for those who already had it (can be checked in account) and then delete the ancient version? Everyone would be happy.Same price for players who have it, same price for one without it. Only 1 to pay. (Speak about backpacks)

Here’s a dev discussing making previous backpacks dyeable.

Tidgepot.3285

Substance EBack items also take damage like armor and thus are not the same thing as accessories or weapons. They never got dye channels likely for the same reason that we only had the guild backpack at launch, it was never finished. Backpacks will remain un-dyable so Anet can sell black and white wing sets. Plain and simple.

If you need citation, then look no further. I'm the dev who concepted this glider! Granted, I'm an artist so I couldn't give you the full technical rundown like Josh Petrie, but I do handle our engine daily.

Whether or not the equipment takes damage or not has no bearing on how the engine separates items. The engine sees armor as what is called a composite, it sees things attached to your characters like weapons and backpieces as items, and it sees gliders as a sort of middleground item/effect. Our file structure separates gliders as items, but because of how they pop into view, layer, and more easily allow for dyes it makes sense to basically treat them as effects. Now I'm not positive on this, but I'm going to hazard a guess that if we decided to make gliders as items, we'd have to retroactively alter the system in a way that would allow for weapons/backpieces to be dyed.

On its face doing this sounds like a great idea, since this is what fans want. As a fellow player I'd like this as well, but unfortunately our systems were not designed with this in mind. Not only would we have to go back and code each item so it can have dye channels/sufficient UI and prepare for the veritable bugfest that would ensue from altering a system that has years of work built on top of it, but we'd also have to retexture these items. Why? Our dye system is balanced around a red base color which has an impact on how every other color will appear when a channel shifts to it. Anyone who has played with dodging/burning in photoshop will know that red has some strange properties when it comes to shifts in values. Many dyes would have blown out/dull/oddly saturated textures as a result.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's SO much more to the process that I don't have a firm grasp on.

The devs here are gamers and we love what we do. We want fans to get excited about what we make because we're fans, too. However, we have players clamoring for every fix/feature under the sun so we have to do a ton of prioritizing. Game development is never plain and simple..Ashe Lewis.9815

I rarely post on the forums so I just had my account upgraded to a developer one. So Tidgepot is indeed a dev because I'm Tidgepot! My posts earlier in this thread still stand. I'm sorry about the confusion :P

Like I said before, I’m just an artist so I’ll elaborate on what I understand as best as I can, but I’m no engineer.

This sounds like a it could be good idea, but it doesn’t sidestep the issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do. The older assets would still be affected. We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges and bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it. Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game. Not to mention finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of how fundamental this part of our system is. We’d still probably end up having to re-author and retexture all old items (which would take a ton of resources) and even if we did do that, more players may end up upset by the minor texture changes to their current gear than those who can’t dye backpacks.

Maybe(?)
a workaround could be a new asset type, but our engine is old and finicky— it would certainly take a lot resources to teach it to parse through something so fundamental.

@hugo.4705 said:

Why stop at same price. I would easily be willing to pay 100 gems to upgrade my backpack/glider combo to a dyable version. In the future only sell the new one. Current ones can be upgraded with an item for 100 gems. Seems like a win/win.

Tidgepot.3285

Substance EBack items also take damage like armor and thus are not the same thing as accessories or weapons. They never got dye channels likely for the same reason that we only had the guild backpack at launch, it was never finished. Backpacks will remain un-dyable so Anet can sell black and white wing sets. Plain and simple.

If you need citation, then look no further. I'm the dev who concepted this glider! Granted, I'm an artist so I couldn't give you the full technical rundown like Josh Petrie, but I do handle our engine daily.

Whether or not the equipment takes damage or not has no bearing on how the engine separates items. The engine sees armor as what is called a composite, it sees things attached to your characters like weapons and backpieces as items, and it sees gliders as a sort of middleground item/effect. Our file structure separates gliders as items, but because of how they pop into view, layer, and more easily allow for dyes it makes sense to basically treat them as effects. Now I'm not positive on this, but I'm going to hazard a guess that if we decided to make gliders as items, we'd have to retroactively alter the system in a way that would allow for weapons/backpieces to be dyed.

On its face doing this sounds like a great idea, since this is what fans want. As a fellow player I'd like this as well, but unfortunately our systems were not designed with this in mind. Not only would we have to go back and code each item so it can have dye channels/sufficient UI and prepare for the veritable bugfest that would ensue from altering a system that has years of work built on top of it, but we'd also have to retexture these items. Why? Our dye system is balanced around a red base color which has an impact on how every other color will appear when a channel shifts to it. Anyone who has played with dodging/burning in photoshop will know that red has some strange properties when it comes to shifts in values. Many dyes would have blown out/dull/oddly saturated textures as a result.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's SO much more to the process that I don't have a firm grasp on.

The devs here are gamers and we love what we do. We want fans to get excited about what we make because we're fans, too. However, we have players clamoring for every fix/feature under the sun so we have to do a ton of prioritizing. Game development is never plain and simple..Ashe Lewis.9815

I rarely post on the forums so I just had my account upgraded to a developer one. So Tidgepot is indeed a dev because I'm Tidgepot! My posts earlier in this thread still stand. I'm sorry about the confusion :P

Like I said before, I’m just an artist so I’ll elaborate on what I understand as best as I can, but I’m no engineer.

This sounds like a it could be good idea, but it doesn’t sidestep the issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do. The older assets would still be affected. We’d still encounter a ton of programing challenges and bugs from altering a core mechanic of the game and the years of code built on top of it. Every player and many npcs use items, so the wrong bug slipping through can have a major impact on everyone in the game. Not to mention finding that bug could be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of how fundamental this part of our system is. We’d still probably end up having to re-author and retexture all old items (which would take a ton of resources) and even if we did do that, more players may end up upset by the minor texture changes to their current gear than those who can’t dye backpacks.

Maybe(?)
a workaround could be a new asset type, but our engine is old and finicky— it would certainly take a lot resources to teach it to parse through something so fundamental.

Yeah saw that, but now that this new item category/asset type has been created, we have dyable capes backpacks and dyable backpacks. They can simply recreate those ancient backpacks with the new code, and erase the ancients from existence. And of course it requires resources and work, but I would say as anything else added in that game. Mounts in the past were also a technical difficulty and they managed to bypass it (Your character model swap to a mount+player on it model).Sure it will require some times but they can do it." issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do" " a workaround could be a new asset type", they did it, we have dyable backpack, we don't speak about a non existing feature.

I don't ask them to upgrade on the existing backpacks, I ask them to erase them and to use their new asset type.Edited my comment, yeah it was unclear.

@hugo.4705 said:

Tidgepot.3285

Maybe(?)

Yeah saw that, but now that this new item category/asset type has been created, we have dyable capes backpacks and dyable backpacks.
They can simply recreate those ancient backpacks with the new code, and erase the ancients from existence
. And of course it requires resources and work, but I would say as anything else added in that game. Mounts in the past were also a technical difficulty and they managed to bypass it (Your character model swap to a mount+player on it model).Sure it will require some times but they can do it." issue of categorization and what certain types of assets can do" " a workaround could be a new asset type", they did it, we have dyable backpack, we don't speak about a non existing feature.

I don't ask them to upgrade on the existing backpacks, I ask them to erase them and to use their new asset type.Edited my comment, yeah it was unclear.

So, recreate all the old backpacks then erase everyone’s backpieces? Is this only gemstore backpieces (52 of them) or does it include all back pieces (260 total skins)?

Even if it’s “only” the gemstore backpacks, redoing that many undoubtably is a lot more work than it appears. For one thing as far as I know you can’t remove items from the wardrobe, so deleting isn’t an option which means the wardrobe would have to be expanded to handle all these upgraded backpacks. Also, redoing all those backpacks (presumably for free because I can just imagine what the forumites would have to say about getting charged twice), checking 11 million accounts for the skins and then mailing them out to those accounts is a lot of expense for no extra income.

Yeah on this I agree, they can't simply redo all of them, if they need to generate incomes it's better to only create new ones and keeping releasing other gemstore cosmetics.If deleted, it would be erased from wardrobe like the item never existed.

I was going only for gemstores ones and as you said, it's 52.I think with more employees they could handle it, but taking in account it takes them an eternity to release new mount skins / licences, or weapon/backpacks.... it's very hard to hope they can do it. And of course, currently, how they are structured, it will take surely 1+ year for redoing them.

For the accounts it would have not been an issue if it was only few skins. They are able to send things to tons of players, exemple are gauntlets community rewards or extra life rewards. But yes they need here to check 52 skins per account.

Now about extra income, above a player said it is okay to charge 100 gems more to have that dyable version since the player have the normal one.So here the maths:-You have it, want dyable = 100 gems-You have none = 600 gems.Multiply by numbers of interested.

The REAL question is, what is the percent of the playerbase wanting them dyable, so does it worths it?

My idea can be realised, but they don't have enough personnel to do it, through, maybe it could have been done at launch or before the layoffs?The period of production was the 2 first year, it was there that those dyable stuffs, outfits, build templates etc should have been released. (And sab finished)

The second thought is, is it hard to made them, those 52 skins, can't they copy-paste /code to reuse the model? And then add the dyes?

~Disclaimer: I don't know how their engine works, and sadly don't have stats and metrics to tell it would be beneficial or not.

But I did some java, and know that I can use texture and models and add parameters or coloration to models "variables". But can't enlighten anyone here. I know that the item is grey and then you apply a parameter (dye) to taint that grey.

Surely their dyable backpack is coded as a seventh armor piece! Maybe not! Only devs can say how that new object class works, the variables etc...

To avoid use of extra slots of wardrobe, the old ones are converted to new ones. Old skins are returned as consummables inmail/ a new tab.

• 2 weeks later...

this glider is ridiculous, it's even better than the Ascension legendary which I grinded for many seasons, not only it uses the same model, but it looks 100 times better than Legendary and also it's dyeable, if Ad Infinitum and the Ascension aren't getting updates, then it's not even worth it to craft items and have fun with it, just grind gold for Gemstore...Ridiculous