Stealth should keep/put players into Combat

Straegen.2938

This is actually a very reasonable suggestion.

Like Straegen says, it might not change the dynamic of how stealth works or impact resets completely, but it may help and may help in a way that isn't overly punishing for stealth classes either. Spontaneously I see it helping and adding broader, better balancing of dynamics without adding any major problems, but I could be wrong.

It's been commented on endlessly. Yes, stealth needs a rework. There are several things though that would need to happen.

1. Stealth needs to be permanent, turn it on and you are stealthed until in combat. It should not require casting over and over to maintain.
  2. Combat prevents stealth, deadeye would still need a get out of combat elite, not sure if 1 or 2 charges works.
  3. Stealth needs to reduce movement speed, so that you can never move full speed while stealthed, with traits, etc, maybe 80% movespeed....this does not apply just to thief, but stealth in general, every class should move slower stealthed, you are, after all, trying to be stealthy.
  4. Stealthed players are visible if standing right on top of you, meaning you still have a fraction of a second to respond before backstabbed.

Other things that would have to happen:

1. Every weapon skill from every class now requires a target to cast. Utility skills could still be cast without a target, but weapon skills from EVERY class would require a target to use. No free casting aoe spam everywhere to find stealthed players, weapon skills should require a target. It also means they can't be used to run away from fights too.

With those set, now they need to rework all the traits and skills for thieves to adjust to stealth being a permanent thing till in combat, and all the other supporting traits need a new purpose. Traits from other classes need to be fixed now as well with regards to stealth.

That's why this isn't ever going to happen.

I don't think changing whether someone who is stealthed can get out of combat will make a significant difference.

@miguelsil.6324 said:Or like most normal better balanced games, you cannot stealth in combat.

I think stealthing in combat would be fine if you could partially see (but not target) the player, the visual effect is already implemented for HoT masteries. If this were implemented stealth could be made to last even longer and have more utility.

You'd still need smart players who could plan and lead their attacks, too.

@miguelsil.6324 said:Or like most normal better balanced games, you cannot stealth in combat.

I'm fine with stealth. Even games that don't let you stealth in combat still let you do so on cooldown and such. The problem with this game is that it insists on allowing perma stealth builds. This should be a hard no in pvp. Stealth for ambushes and escapes on cooldown? Sure! Stealthing whenever you want and the ability to chain it endlessly? Get that crap out of here, please!

@"Ubi.4136" said:It's been commented on endlessly. Yes, stealth needs a rework. There are several things though that would need to happen.

1. Stealth needs to be permanent, turn it on and you are stealthed until in combat. It should not require casting over and over to maintain.
  2. Combat prevents stealth, deadeye would still need a get out of combat elite, not sure if 1 or 2 charges works.
  3. Stealth needs to reduce movement speed, so that you can never move full speed while stealthed, with traits, etc, maybe 80% movespeed....this does not apply just to thief, but stealth in general, every class should move slower stealthed, you are, after all, trying to be stealthy.
  4. Stealthed players are visible if standing right on top of you, meaning you still have a fraction of a second to respond before backstabbed.

Other things that would have to happen:

1. Every weapon skill from every class now requires a target to cast. Utility skills could still be cast without a target, but weapon skills from EVERY class would require a target to use. No free casting aoe spam everywhere to find stealthed players, weapon skills should require a target. It also means they can't be used to run away from fights too.

With those set, now they need to rework all the traits and skills for thieves to adjust to stealth being a permanent thing till in combat, and all the other supporting traits need a new purpose. Traits from other classes need to be fixed now as well with regards to stealth.

That's why this isn't ever going to happen.

Best suggestions ever honestly. /clap

@Hannelore.8153 said:I don't think changing whether someone who is stealthed can get out of combat will make a significant difference.

It is fairly benign but should be easy to implement and does help tune it down slightly. The current stealth mechanic allows for a player to use a long stealth to exit combat then out-of-combat quick healing kicks in while they mount. They can even switch templates.

Combat also slows a stealthed player and slows weapon swaps. This prevents stealthed players from going in with one weapon, opening with another weapon, then swapping back immediately. So a DE couldn't rifle stealth in, backstab and rifle jump/stealth out.

Gw2EsoBdoArcheageAll have rogue like classes with long access to stealth in and out of combat and eso stealth is actually more accessible than it is in gw2.I haven spent a lot of time in other mmo's other than ones listed but I see a lot of post comparing gw2 stealth to other mmo's but no names of the mmo's and how its handled differently. The mmo's I've played don't or haven't followed all these mentioned restrictions and in some cases gw2 has more restrictions as it is now than the others.

That would be fair, I shouldn't be able to cause someone to use up their resource pools trying to counter me or pop me out while I can sit on mine. Devs would have to go through the game to make sure any interactive can during events or whatever can work while in combat and anything else like that.

hmmm... interesting thought OP

@Ubi.4136 said:It's been commented on endlessly. Yes, stealth needs a rework. There are several things though that would need to happen.

i felt the change they made to steal for elite specs gives and takes was a bit lamemaybe Anet can further differentiate thief / daredevil / deadeye more via stealth mechanism, which will bring more flavours for their players

• thief can stealth at anytime, but much shorter than it is currently
  • daredevil has no stealth capability, but can continuously pump out self superspeed; 1 hit pummeling people from behind with stealth is just lame
  • deadeye can perma stealth, but cannot stealth while in combat

That would be a pretty bad change. The problem with stealth is specifically out of combat stealth, with the permastealth oneshot builds. In-combat stealth is bad as is and I would argue isnt even a viable option (technically Rifle DE stealths in combat, but they only do so to access DJ, as the optimal build skips SA alltogether).

@ArchonWing.9480 said:IMO ALL boons and effects (besides swiftness maybe) should have their durations greatly reduced when outisde of combat.

Prestacking anything OOC the way you can is just pretty stupid.

Then you get janky stuff where people are tagging guards to put swiftness dolyaks, for example. I mean, I like the creativity that clever people would employ, but it's not the elegant solution you might at first imagine it to be.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:stealth in games is fine but it needs a decent cd.Which IMO is the simplest solution. It's an easy two step implementation that target all stealth:

Step 1)Stealth can no longer be stacked.

Step 2)Upon exiting stealth, you are revealed for ~10s.

And there you go.

I would add a rule that says stealth can be stacked but only by other peoples combo finishers.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:stealth in games is fine but it needs a decent cd.Which IMO is the simplest solution. It's an easy two step implementation that target all stealth:

And there you go.

Why would you think that's a good idea and how would you fix trait lines and skills that would be affected?

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

And there you go.

I would add a rule that says stealth can be stacked but only by other peoples combo finishers.

I would agree with that for ANY stacking boon. However, I am not sure that divide is accomplishable with the GW2.

@kash.9213 said:

And there you go.

Why would you think that's a good idea and how would you fix trait lines and skills that would be affected?What traits and skills would be broken by this other than just falling under new rules (such as you can only leap combo in a smoke field once)? Sure, I can see some passive traits such as stealthing at low hp clearing reveal before stealth. That's fine. Easy fixes.

I would add a rule that says stealth can be stacked but only by other peoples combo finishers.I would disagree, but a stealth blast should give longer stealth (currently it's just 3s, I would double that to 6s or maybe a couple secs longer).