[Elite Spec Idea]: Saboteur

Exitus.3297

Hey guys,

Bear with me because in all honesty, I'm never any good at this sort of thing. I just had this idea and I just wanted to share it. Right now, the Thief has both Daredevil and Deadeye, specializations that are at their best at melee or ranged respectively, with Deadeye intended to literally be a solution to the fact that the Thief had no long range weapons.

As it stands, the Thief class is missing some aspects that I still think can be fulfilled with the next Elite spec. For example, the Thief has no instance of Burn damage anywhere in its kit. At the same time, while other Thief specializations have access to some area control, none of them really prioritize it as their core identity. I wanted to come up with a specialization that fulfilled both of these things while still retaining the Thief's overall theme and aesthetic... So ultimately I came up with this as the next possible Elite spec: The Saboteur.

As the idea implies, going into this spec would allow the use of the offhand Torch. This would grant a total of 5 new weapon skills similar to a 2-handed weapon (Dual skills for the Pistol, Sword and Dagger, plus the 4 and 5 skills). The Torch's default skills would have moderate to high Initiative costs while offering a duration-based AoE, and potentially a Blast finisher. As for the Dual-skills, it would depend on the weapon pairing of course.

Going into more detail, the theme to the Saboteur would be heavily focused around Burn damage, Explosions (Blast Finishers), and area control through strong AoEs . It could be either a condition or power-based specialization, where Power-based builds would be based around skills where Burning stacks amplify their own damage output in some way, and Condition-based builds would be focused on the Burn damage itself. It would have a variety of traits ranging from offensive, defensive or generally utilitarian. One example trait perhaps being the application of Burn damage when enemies are in range of a Blast finisher in any Fire combo field. Another example trait could also be where applying Burn damage would result in an enemy losing a Boon (as if it were literally setting it on fire).

Seeing as how our next big enemy is the Ice Dragon, a Burn-based Thief spec seemed fitting. I obviously haven't come up with any specific skills or traits (at least not yet, we will see how this goes). This post was really to just get the idea out there. I have no doubt in my mind the next Elite spec is likely already in development, but I wanted to throw this out there anyway.

The point is I want to set Jormy on fire.

I would have to add one thing to this however. Stealth durations would have to be limited as the offset to carrying a torch. An AOE, area control build should not be capable of being stealthed to a high degree. That should be the cost offset for a class that is focused on single target damage to gain access to massive AOE. FFor it to be a control build that also means the AOE also carries many ways to deal with break bars/hamper foes, so it would be a horrible idea to allow the heavy stealth builds to not suffer a reduction in stealth up time as it would ruin PvP... it would make WvW somewhat more amusing though.

Suggestion? Holding a torch reduces stealth active time by 20%. Essentially making every application of stealth lose a second of up time.

I say this as a lover of Deadeye stealth builds, which I am aware are horribly broken. Constant snipes coming from stealth is enough to infuriate people in WvW. I may snicker in comms too often >.>

@Runiir.6425 said:I would have to add one thing to this however. Stealth durations would have to be limited as the offset to carrying a torch. An AOE, area control build should not be capable of being stealthed to a high degree. That should be the cost offset for a class that is focused on single target damage to gain access to massive AOE. FFor it to be a control build that also means the AOE also carries many ways to deal with break bars/hamper foes, so it would be a horrible idea to allow the heavy stealth builds to not suffer a reduction in stealth up time as it would ruin PvP... it would make WvW somewhat more amusing though.

Suggestion? Holding a torch reduces stealth active time by 20%. Essentially making every application of stealth lose a second of up time.

I say this as a lover of Deadeye stealth builds, which I am aware are horribly broken. Constant snipes coming from stealth is enough to infuriate people in WvW. I may snicker in comms too often >.>

Direct damage from AoEs would reveal the Thief. I don't really see that as a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds more like an Arsonist than a Saboteur, and I'm totally down for Arsonist Elite Spec.

Could have ridiculous stuff like being on fire gives immunity to movement slowing effects, Offhand Torch has a lob torch skill which tosses Fire Fields and weapon combo utilities can feature stuff like leaving behind an trail of gasoline which can be ignited.

@"Yasai.3549" said:Sounds more like an Arsonist than a Saboteur, and I'm totally down for Arsonist Elite Spec.

Could have ridiculous stuff like being on fire gives immunity to movement slowing effects, Offhand Torch has a lob torch skill which tosses Fire Fields and weapon combo utilities can feature stuff like leaving behind an trail of gasoline which can be ignited.

You're getting it :grin:

I guess the theme I was going for wasn't so much all fire all of the time... I was more going for was a Thief spec meant to destabilize groups rather than single targets, but maintaining their element of subterfuge. I just figured fire should be involved. After all, the core Thief mechanics don't completely disappear with the selection of an Elite spec. I even thought of the idea of adding an AoE effect to Steal for the spec (not making every effect on Steal AoE, just adding another effect that is an AoE).

EDIT:P.S. I love your quote: "I play a stupid build. I deserve to die. If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it."It made me chuckle.