Launcher will not download game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Launcher will not download game

After taking a break from the game for a few months due to work, I signed back in to find that my game would crash every 10 minuets or so. I tried running a repair on the game multiple times, all of them failing to complete the repair process. So I uninstalled and deleted guild wars 2 from my computer, re downloaded the launcher, and set about re downloading the game.
I have been getting stuck at about 35% complete (just after it hits the "playable" section of the download) for about a week now. I have tried leaving it running over the course of a couple days, closing and resuming the download, and even started the whole process over a few times, but it has been consistently getting to this point in the download and then halts entirely.
I have tried playing the game in its not fully downloaded state, but it keeps crashing my game in a similar way to my original problem, so i would not say that it is even "playable" right now.
Is this a known problem on Mac? I feel like I am banging my head against a wall trying to figure this out. I have been looking through the forums here, and on reddit, and it seems that all the posts regarding this problem are from a few years ago and none of the possible solutions I have found are helping.
If someone knows how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it, as I have been really looking forward to getting back in touch with my guild mates and going on some adventures :)

<1

Comments

  • Some have had success with the solution posted here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94654/download-refuses-to-proceed-please-help#latest

    Good luck.

  • Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I would suggest to run the game/launcher as admin and turn off any security software (virus scanner and firewall) and see what that does.

  • Sorry Inculpatus none of those options seem to be available on Mac. I apologize if i was not specific enough in my post, but I am on a Mac

  • @Aaralyna.3104 said:
    I would suggest to run the game/launcher as admin and turn off any security software (virus scanner and firewall) and see what that does.

    Thank you for the advise but that does not seem to be effective for me

  • Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I would then contact support via a support ticket. (May take some time due to holidays tho).

  • @Aaralyna.3104 said:
    I would then contact support via a support ticket. (May take some time due to holidays tho).

    ok I will look in to that thank you

  • Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @womptimus.6970 Take a look at this reddit too (got just posted). Might fix your issue. https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eey6kh/arenanet_sends_me_my_download_stalling_fix/

  • @Aaralyna.3104 I tried to fix it this way, but the q0s packet scheduler is not an option on mac. my IPv6 was already on as well :(

    also tried with the -assetsrv command and it did not help either, even after finding different servers to use... I don't understand how it could possibly be this difficult to get a download going. I have downloaded other games/programs since this problem has occurred and everything else downloads perfectly. I really don't feel like this problem is originating from my end.
    I submitted a ticket to ask for help. I really hope that the Anet staff can help me out with this, as I am very close to giving up on the game entirely. I would understand if my computer wasn't up to the specs to run the game, but this is just getting ridiculous and I really do not understand how this is a problem in the first place. I mean, common, this game has millions of players, and the launcher/download doesn't work??

    I do appreciate the advise though. I hope I am not coming off as to pessimistic about everything... It is just a really frustrating situation for me.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2020

    @womptimus.6970 said:
    @Aaralyna.3104 I tried to fix it this way, but the q0s packet scheduler is not an option on mac. my IPv6 was already on as well :(

    also tried with the -assetsrv command and it did not help either

    If I recall correctly, you require the currently active IP for this, which I believe can be determined by using the following command in Command Prompt:

    • nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1 (US)
    • nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1 (non-US)

    ´
    UPDATE: If that doesn't work, use instead:

    • nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8
    • nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8
  • @Ashantara.8731 this worked!! thank you so much :)

  • kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭

    I am going through the same thing. changed everything, unchecked QoS. changed portals, everything.. The game installs but when it comes to installing the patches it stops at 35%. GM Apple Merchant has been trying to help me and I even sent her/him a diagnostic report. Im even repairing the files before I install the updates and still nothing. We are going to have to wait for them to come back from vacation. Its sad because Im off from work this week and would of loved to play.

  • kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭

    What I find strange is that EVERYONE having this problem is STUCK AT 35% and will not go further. Is that a BUG in one of the patches and stop BLAMING our computer, internet and everything else on our part.

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kathy.8291 said:
    What I find strange is that EVERYONE having this problem is STUCK AT 35% and will not go further.

    It just means something is blocking a specific set of files that GW2 is attempting to download. Since the files are downloaded in order, everyone who is doing a new install is going to get stuck at the same point. A few years back for example, GW2 was attacked by flagging the patch servers as malicious, which propagated to many anti-virus providers, including some ISPs, and caused a lot of people to get stuck.

    Try launching with the options:
    -log -assetsrv 34.224.44.147

    (the IP is temporary, so if it fails to connect, lookup the IP for origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com)

    With the above options, and assuming it's still stuck, let it try to download for 10 minutes, then exit. In Windows, you can find the log saved as %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019

    @womptimus.6970 said:
    @Ashantara.8731 this worked!! thank you so much :)

    I am very glad to hear that! :)

    P.S. Which of the two was it? The first or the second output?

  • kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019

    I am truly not computer savy. How do I do that and put those numbers in? Im sorry that I dont understand. thank you so much.> @Healix.5819 said:

    @kathy.8291 said:
    What I find strange is that EVERYONE having this problem is STUCK AT 35% and will not go further.

    It just means something is blocking a specific set of files that GW2 is attempting to download. Since the files are downloaded in order, everyone who is doing a new install is going to get stuck at the same point. A few years back for example, GW2 was attacked by flagging the patch servers as malicious, which propagated to many anti-virus providers, including some ISPs, and caused a lot of people to get stuck.

    Try launching with the options:
    -log -assetsrv 34.224.44.147

    (the IP is temporary, so if it fails to connect, lookup the IP for origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com)

    With the above options, and assuming it's still stuck, let it try to download for 10 minutes, then exit. In Windows, you can find the log saved as %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

  • I've been having this issue too. Stuck at 35%, then i tried turning off QoP and the -assetsrv (daily isp) command and that got me to 50% (250,000 files remaining). Now nothing seems to move it along at all. I notice that every time i log back in after i play for a bit another 1,000 or 2,000 files were downloaded but at this rate, it will take months for the remaining files to finish. Any ideas on getting past this second road block? Already tried the -repair command.

  • If it is downloading files whilst playing, check the 'Streaming' Option and set it to Max.

  • @kathy.8291 said:
    I am truly not computer savy. How do I do that and put those numbers in? Im sorry that I dont understand. thank you so much.> @Healix.5819 said:

    @kathy.8291 said:
    What I find strange is that EVERYONE having this problem is STUCK AT 35% and will not go further.

    It just means something is blocking a specific set of files that GW2 is attempting to download. Since the files are downloaded in order, everyone who is doing a new install is going to get stuck at the same point. A few years back for example, GW2 was attacked by flagging the patch servers as malicious, which propagated to many anti-virus providers, including some ISPs, and caused a lot of people to get stuck.

    Try launching with the options:
    -log -assetsrv 34.224.44.147

    (the IP is temporary, so if it fails to connect, lookup the IP for origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com)

    With the above options, and assuming it's still stuck, let it try to download for 10 minutes, then exit. In Windows, you can find the log saved as %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

    Here are instructions: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    If it is downloading files whilst playing, check the 'Streaming' Option and set it to Max.

    I will try this and see if it works. Thanks.

  • kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭

    @Jackvader.4798 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    If it is downloading files whilst playing, check the 'Streaming' Option and set it to Max.

    I will try this and see if it works. Thanks.

    I will definitely try this also. Whats insane everytime I click on gw2 icon it keeps downloading to 35% and stops. but I will try the Streaming Option to max.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    If it is downloading files whilst playing, check the 'Streaming' Option and set it to Max.

    whelp, tried it. Played for 5 hours, downloaded 8,000 files. Guess that's slightly faster but i wouldn't exactly call it a solution. Hope the devs figure out why this is occurring and fixes it soon

  • kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭

    I am sure hoping this gets fixed when they come back from vacation. They have alot of work to do. They will also be losing alot of players and NEW players that want to buy the game if they cant launch past 35%. OH Well, Amazon :(

  • It's the 29th and I haven't been able to get an e-mail back from anyone at all since the 23rd. I haven't been able to play the game at all in almost 2 weeks. You'd think they'd want to get it working faster than this. I've been playing for 3 years and have had more trouble in the last couple of weeks than I have in all the rest of that time.

  • What's the deal with this? I wanted to get back into the game...

  • Wolf.2596Wolf.2596 Member ✭✭

    I've started writing down the numbers, and the download always seems to stall out completely right in the same spot. (with 258k files left to go) Whatever is in that particular area of the download might be where the glitch is.

  • @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @womptimus.6970 said:
    @Aaralyna.3104 I tried to fix it this way, but the q0s packet scheduler is not an option on mac. my IPv6 was already on as well :(

    also tried with the -assetsrv command and it did not help either

    If I recall correctly, you require the currently active IP for this, which I believe can be determined by using the following command in Command Prompt:

    • nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1

    If anyone is having issues using the nslookup command or it is giving the wrong addresses, try using 8.8.8.8 as your affix

  • Wolf.2596Wolf.2596 Member ✭✭

    Still no response from anet about my ticket today. This is getting to be beyond annoying.

  • @Wolf.2596 I would recommend checking these threads out. I worked through this and it solved my issue immediately, I was also stalling at exactly 258K files. Hopefully this can work for you https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eey6kh/arenanet_sends_me_my_download_stalling_fix/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eej042/download_stalling_fix/

  • I had this problem - this is what I did:

    • Went to cmd.exe
    • Typed in "nslookup origincdn101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1" (without quotations) and pressed enter
    • What then showed were two IP addresses for Anet's main servers - one was 52.202.155.150 and the other was 100.24.171.100
    • Decided to try adding -assetsrv 52.202.155.150 to the end of the command line (right-click your game shortcut, and add this phrase to the "Target" line at the very end; make sure there is a space between ".exe"" and the -assetsrv)
    • Applied the change and started the launcher

    This seems to have worked for me when a VPN and lack of firewall did not.

  • Fearless.3569Fearless.3569 Member ✭✭✭

    Game got corrupted so I deleted the game and tried to reinstall. I've been suck at 35% for the past hour with Gigabit internet downloading at 0KB/ SEC.

  • @Karsinogins.5693 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @womptimus.6970 said:
    @Aaralyna.3104 I tried to fix it this way, but the q0s packet scheduler is not an option on mac. my IPv6 was already on as well :(

    also tried with the -assetsrv command and it did not help either

    If I recall correctly, you require the currently active IP for this, which I believe can be determined by using the following command in Command Prompt:

    • nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1

    If anyone is having issues using the nslookup command or it is giving the wrong addresses, try using 8.8.8.8 as your affix

    OMG it seems to work. It didn't with the 1.1.1.1 affix and now even though the download speeds are still abnormally slow ( 1-2mb/s slow) at least the remaining files are going down. Thank you so much.

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2020

    @Zeranaktra.6982 said:
    OMG it seems to work. It didn't with the 1.1.1.1 affix and now even though the download speeds are still abnormally slow ( 1-2mb/s slow) at least the remaining files are going down. Thank you so much.

    Use assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com to patch as you would normally (it's your local mirror). Only use origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com for testing (it's the primary US server).

  • Wolf.2596Wolf.2596 Member ✭✭

    @Karsinogins.5693 said:
    @Wolf.2596 I would recommend checking these threads out. I worked through this and it solved my issue immediately, I was also stalling at exactly 258K files. Hopefully this can work for you https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eey6kh/arenanet_sends_me_my_download_stalling_fix/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eej042/download_stalling_fix/

    Thanks but it wouldn't do much good for me, I'm on a mac...and those instructions are for windows.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zeranaktra.6982 said:
    OMG it seems to work. It didn't with the 1.1.1.1 affix and now even though the download speeds are still abnormally slow

    @Healix.5819 said:
    Use assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com to patch as you would normally (it's your local mirror). Only use origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com for testing (it's the primary US server).

    I corrected my original post to add the info.

  • @Wolf.2596 said:

    @Karsinogins.5693 said:
    @Wolf.2596 I would recommend checking these threads out. I worked through this and it solved my issue immediately, I was also stalling at exactly 258K files. Hopefully this can work for you https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eey6kh/arenanet_sends_me_my_download_stalling_fix/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/eej042/download_stalling_fix/

    Thanks but it wouldn't do much good for me, I'm on a mac...and those instructions are for windows.

    Also looking for a Mac fix /:

  • This is a reoccuring issue. I have had to uninstall and reinstall for every patch lately. My tickets have been answered but not resulting in a resolution for this problem. I have lost hope in addressing a ticket system that does not help, whether the issue is with this download or any ingame bug fixes. Items missing from typical rewards, etc. This game is hardly worth the frustrations I have had lately.

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @princessdan.4829 said:
    Also looking for a Mac fix /:

    If you've been following along, you should've already seen these, but here are the generic ones:

    For a server/DNS problem, use one of the following:
    -assetsrv 100.24.171.100
    -assersrv 52.202.155.150
    See the wiki for how to use these, and note these IPs will expire within a few days.

    For an ISP/route problem:
    Use a VPN. Try different countries and make sure GW2 is actually going through it. TunnelBear is a popular choice, while support has recommended proXPN in the past.

    For everything else, the problem is sourced at your computer. For example, anything that interferes with your traffic could potentially cause it, such as anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spyware/ads, website filters, optimizers, etc.

    For more information on what it's stuck downloading, you can use the -log option - let it run for a few minutes, then exit and post the log (Gw2.log). See the wiki for details.
  • Thank you Healix.5819 I live not far from Montreal in Canada and this Dns -assetsrv 100.24.171.100 has work for me so I guess after more than 4 hours of trying, I can conclude that the problem comes from the dns they are enough for you find one that works for you.
    "A: \ Guild Wars 2 \ Gw2-64.exe" -assetsrv 100.24.171.1001.

  • I am also having a problem getting my game to download after buying a new pc. I was hoping to get the game downloaded and installed but I Have been met with problems from the onset. The launcher shows no progress, on the meter, and I have over 250k files left. Even when it shows its downloading files, they are not being subtracted from the total. After a while the download speed goes to zero and I have to restart again. Has anyone here seen anything like that?

  • Retried again today with another fresh install. Launcher works fine until it reaches 259,000 files. After that I have to restart and the files remaining never moves anymore. Almost a full day of responses with the support guys and still no answers that will help get past this problem.

  • @agmartes.2716 said:
    Retried again today with another fresh install. Launcher works fine until it reaches 259,000 files. After that I have to restart and the files remaining never moves anymore. Almost a full day of responses with the support guys and still no answers that will help get past this problem.

    Have you tried the suggestions in this, and other threads?

  • Same boat as the rest of the Mac users in this thread. Coming back to the game and it downloads to around 35% then stops. Closed the client and re-opened. Not it shows 256,566 files remaining while also downloading but never decreasing the file count. Have downloaded over 4 GBs of files but the count never decreases. Close and re-open the client. Same thing happens over and over again. Maybe I'm not meant to come back to the game.

    Back in the game, bare with me as I figure it out again!

  • agmartes.2716agmartes.2716 Member ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2020

    . > @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @agmartes.2716 said:
    Retried again today with another fresh install. Launcher works fine until it reaches 259,000 files. After that I have to restart and the files remaining never moves anymore. Almost a full day of responses with the support guys and still no answers that will help get past this problem.

    Have you tried the suggestions in this, and other threads?

    I am not using a Mac, and I have tried everything in this thread, and have been using this exact same information given to me by the support team. Today they told me they know its an ongoing problem, and they have no ETA on a fix. I know there are a lot of people trying to be helpful, but none of this stuff has worked for me in the past few days. I have been working with support for 4 days and on a brand new pc and I tried it on an older pc. Neither one will make it past 259,000 files remaining before the launcher craps out.
    Just to clarify, I have tried to do it 3 different times on my new pc. It stops almost every time near the same spot.

  • Calisanna.8732Calisanna.8732 Member ✭✭✭

    Bump for this thread.
    Anet this is still an issue. Been since Wintersday patch it seems.
    Hubs (Mac) is trying to reinstall game after it crapped out with crashes from your LNY patch (no issues with Wintersday die us) and it’s stuck at 35%.
    Can we get an official acknowledgment here in the forums or do you really want everyone blowing up support to find info on the problem.
    If comment above is correct, you’ve admitted there’s an ongoing issue- so why no official response here in the forums? We WOULDN’T have uninstalled/reinstalled to try and fix this problem if an official comment was in the threads stating this on going problem. Seriously?

  • Can someone please post a mac workaround for this issue with detailed explanation (for non technical user) on how to get the game client to complete loading? I've seen people insert code into the launcher directing it to a specific server, but I don't understand how to do that, and the specific instructions offered (years ago) don't seem applicable to the current mac launcher in 2020.
    I've been in contact with Anet and they don't have a solution for me yet, so I'm willing to try other options.
    Thanks.

  • Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I've got something similar happening.

    When I try to reinstall the game, it says it is downloading and it shows the amount of MB downloaded, but the file's remaining gets stuck at 33,151. And even though it shows that it is still downloading, it never cracks that number of 33,151.

    I've sat and let the bar completely finish the download all the way to end, but when I restart the client it starts back over at 0% with 33,151 files to download, but none of them ever touch the computer.

    The strangest part about this, is that before this happened, it had downloaded maybe about 50% of the game file first, which stuck on the PC, and THEN it started doing this with those remaining 33.151 files. It shows and says they are being downloaded, acts like they finish from the bar under, but they never touch the PC somehow.

  • @Alarwen.3127 said:
    Can someone please post a mac workaround for this issue with detailed explanation (for non technical user) on how to get the game client to complete loading? I've seen people insert code into the launcher directing it to a specific server, but I don't understand how to do that, and the specific instructions offered (years ago) don't seem applicable to the current mac launcher in 2020.
    I've been in contact with Anet and they don't have a solution for me yet, so I'm willing to try other options.
    Thanks.

    try this? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#Usage
    there is section for Mac involving 2 different methods to use command line arguments on it

  • Yes, I've tried them both. There is no longer a file called "CiderSettings.plist" in the GW2 package. They seem to have changed or rearranged things since then. I've looked in the other files of the packet to see if any are functioning the same way, but none have the described "cmdline" string in them. The WIKI needs to be updated to be an appropriate solution.

  • Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Alarwen.3127 said:
    There is no longer a file called "CiderSettings.plist" in the GW2 package. They seem to have changed or rearranged things since then.

    That's the old 32-bit client that they dropped years ago (64-bit is current). The equivalent to that would be the section on Settings.json.

    Alternatively, see the help article on repairing for how to use command line options:
    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

    In short, open a terminal and enter:
    /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -assetsrv 54.84.216.160

  • I will ad my issue here as well, as I cant re-install the game. Had to do an complete un-install due to game logging me in and when I hit the play button, game just closed and would not start. Only thing that changed for me in the last 3 years running gw2 was my isp is temporarily changed to spectrum from U-verse. I wont get my U-verse back until mid Feb, so it looks like i'm stuck.