Unblockable Abilities&Traits

Virdo.1540

Wouldnt it be better to make the "buff" from Phase Traversal & Malicious Reprisal to an buff, that lasts 2seconds long instead of ONLY 2 hits? Warrior has it too, with its signet. (only better)

This is dumb atm, when using one of those things and then most of the skills doesnt even hit complete.

@"Virdo.1540" said:Wouldnt it be better to make the "buff" from Phase Traversal & Malicious Reprisal to an buff, that lasts 2seconds long instead of ONLY 2 hits? Warrior has it too, with its signet. (only better)

This is dumb atm, when using one of those things and then most of the skills doesnt even hit complete.

Considering the cd + how often it can be used, the number of hits rev can do in that number of time no.That would be highly unbalanced.

That would be far too good IMO. Traits like these are not fun to fight against. The fact that you only have 2 charges means you have to be deliberate with the skills you choose to use it with, which is good. Similarly to Malicious Reprisal, people seem to undervalue core Shiro's unblockable effect from Ancient Echo because it has only 2 charges, but 2 charges is enough to swing a fight with. Unblockable Jade Winds? Yes please. 2 seconds of straight unblockable attacks? That's just too much for the class.

@Virdo.1540 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:It's very strong in it's current state if used correctly. It absolutely ruins the day of professions that rely on blocks, which is several.

it should, due to the crazy block & invulv spam in this game.

This wouldn't affect invulns at all. Block spam, eh, I mean what would that apply to? Guardians? Aegis is an important component to their survivability and it already has counters like multi-hit attacks and boon rips/corrupts, and it has poor scaling in 1vX environments. Does FB have a bit too much of it? Maybe, but only FB and not core Guard. Only thing I guess I could see block spam applying to is Purity of Purpose Engis converting burns over and over, but that's moreso an issue of the individual trait. Projectile denial is a whole 'nother story. In general though, blocks should be a reliable way of mitigating damage with a select amount of skills that counterplay it. Adding unblockable spam is not healthy to the game. Example? Soulbeast's old Unstoppable Union. That trait was straight up toxic and enabled way too much undeniable cheese damage. Shiro Revs already have an on-demand unblockable enabler: Phase Traversal. That, and then we have stuff like Vengeful Hammers, Blinding Truths, and Banish Enchantment. More than enough. Rev doesn't need more.

@Justine.6351 said:They nerfed ranger's unblockable buffs last year to match how revs are set up. It would be funny if anet did buff it to duration instead of tics just to see all them soul beasts go reeeee.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:It's very strong in it's current state if used correctly. It absolutely ruins the day of professions that rely on blocks, which is several.

This wouldn't affect invulns at all. Block spam, eh, I mean what would that apply to? Guardians? Aegis is an important component to their survivability and it already has counters like multi-hit attacks and boon rips/corrupts, and it has poor scaling in 1vX environments. Does FB have a bit too much of it? Maybe, but only FB and not core Guard. Only thing I guess I could see block spam applying to is Purity of Purpose Engis converting burns over and over, but that's moreso an issue of the individual trait. Projectile denial is a whole 'nother story. In general though, blocks should be a reliable way of mitigating damage with a select amount of skills that counterplay it. Adding unblockable spam is not healthy to the game. Example? Soulbeast's old Unstoppable Union. That trait was straight up toxic and enabled way too much undeniable cheese damage. Shiro Revs already have an on-demand unblockable enabler: Phase Traversal. That, and then we have stuff like Vengeful Hammers, Blinding Truths, and Banish Enchantment. More than enough. Rev doesn't need more.

what about Warriors "Signet of Might"-active? Is it balanced to have full 6seconds of unblockable hits? (while getting might &on 25sec cooldown, just to mention)

@Virdo.1540 said:

@Justine.6351 said:They nerfed ranger's unblockable buffs last year to match how revs are set up. It would be funny if anet did buff it to duration instead of tics just to see all them soul beasts go reeeee.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:It's very strong in it's current state if used correctly. It absolutely ruins the day of professions that rely on blocks, which is several.

what about Warriors "Signet of Might"-active? Is it balanced to have full 6seconds of unblockable hits? (while getting might &on 25sec cooldown, just to mention)

This skill, along with Signet of the Hunt for Ranger, are surely annoying to fight against if you are expecting your blocks to, well...block, but sacrificing a utility skill is actually a big deal if you are trying to create a balanced build. Rangers taking Signet of the Hunt are usually either total noobs with a terrible build, or one-shot snipers. I don't know much about Warriors, but in my experience fighting them, I only ever see this used on one-shot rifle Wars. The same applies though: each utility skill carries significant weight, and not taking well-rounded skills makes your build much more specialized and much less versatile. A Sic 'Em Sniper Soulbeast taking both Sic 'Em and Signet of the Hunt means that they really only have one flex spot. Meaning, if the burst is fails, then the Ranger is much more vulnerable to counterpressure. Using Soulbeast as a further example, it makes a huge difference in a build's overall viability if given a choice between the old Unstoppable Union and Signet of the Hunt. Unstoppable Union not only gave unblockability, but also a stunbreak. The trait was boosted for an adept major. Signet of the Hunt means I can fight a Ranger without Dolyak Stance, a Survival skill, etc. I'd much rather that.Furthermore, for a class like Warrior and Ranger, their long-range weapons are almost entirely projectile-based. Revenant's hammer has three high-damaging non-projectile skills in its arsenal (assuming a functional CoR), which is part of what makes it so potent in zergplay due to all the reflects running rampant. If a longbow Ranger or a rifle/longbow Warrior wants to have a higher chance at relevance in a zerg, unblockable signets are actually a big deal in order to actually land damage at crucial points (unless poking squirrels or an unprotected tail). If a Rev really wants unblockables for certain skills, they have three options: Malicious Reprisal, Phase Traversal, and Ancient Echo. In my eyes, that is sufficient because due to the nature of legend skills, there is no overt sacrifice the class can make that is worth justifying a timed unblockable effect without overpowercreeping the class.