PvP Rampage Idea - Change [Throw Boulder] to [Throw Pebble]

Multicolorhipster.9751

After the recent changes to Rampage 4, or [Throw Boulder] it kind of trips me out taking a full second-long animation to rip a giant boulder from the ground and sling it at someone only for it to do 31 damage with Demolisher's ammy.

Not complaining about the damage, it's just ruining my immersion personally. For comparison; you can throw a bolas, and deal twice as much damage as a flying boulder, with Celestial stats.

A real traditional neolithic bolas design would use 2-3 small rocks as weights. In geology; to constitute as a boulder, a stone must be at least 10.1 inches in diameter. A bolas would not reasonably be able to be thrown with rocks of this diameter as lifting them would be incredibly difficult, and your range would be very limited. Not to mention it would inflict serious damage to whatever it hit. So you can't tell me [Throw Bolas] is just two boulders tied together.

I know this is a fantasy game, and it requires some suspension of disbelief. The act of even transforming into a massive hulking juggernaut is what even makes throwing a massive boulder at someone possible, but my immersion is thoroughly ruined when 2-3 small rocks do more damage than that same massive boulder.

My proposal

Since a couple of small rocks do more damage than [Throw Boulder] in PvP, I say the skill should be redesigned as [Throw Pebble] as a pebble is even smaller than a typical rock according to geology(that's science) and for immersion's sake.

For practical PvP use, the cast time of [Throw Pebble] could be 75% of that of [Throw Boulder](1/4th of a second.)You can keep the damage as is, because you may as well be throwing a pebble at 31 damage anyway.A 1s stun is a bit much for a pebble, so that could be changed to just a slightly disruptive short daze. Or even a taunt, since in reality being hit with a pebble would be very unexpected and annoying.

Please post any additional feedback and suggestions on [Throw Pebble] or you own personal grievances with [Throw Boulder] below. Arenanet; you have my contact information, and I understand completely if you want me for the balance team ASAP. Just ?

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:People asking for buffs to the skills based on their name "because my immersion!" is getting kind of tiring. Skill naming has nothing to do with game balancing.

I think you missed the tongue in cheek there mate.

Tongue in cheek or not, it's still a complaint about a nerf :p

No?! It's asking for a skill to be changed again, silly.

@"Fueki.4753" said:Rather than changing the functionality, I'd like Anet to revert the bad joke they did to Rampage and add break bars to players in PvP for an overall nerf to CC.

cool

But I still want to be kind of immersed when I use the skill is all.

If I take a whole second-long animation to rip a quote "large boulder" from the ground, I expect it to hurt like a "large boulder" should, and not do half the damage of throwing a bolas less than a quarter of its size.

The damage is fine so long as the skill makes sense. I feel like i'm trapped in the Matrix everytime I throw a boulder at someone, because throwing big heavy things and expecting big heavy things to hurt has been etched into our brains since the dawn of humankind. That's why a pebble would fit perfectly with the current damage, I think.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Rather than changing the functionality, I'd like Anet to revert the bad joke they did to Rampage and add break bars to players in PvP for an
overall nerf to CC

cool

If I take a whole second-long animation to rip a quote "large boulder" from the ground, I expect it to hurt like a "large boulder" should, and not do half the damage of throwing a bolas less than a quarter of its size.

The damage is fine so long as the skill makes sense. I feel like i'm trapped in the Matrix everytime I throw a boulder at someone, because throwing big heavy things and expecting big heavy things to hurt has been etched into our brains since the dawn of humankind. That's why a pebble would fit perfectly with the current damage, I think.

Make the heartseeker deal fatal damage because mah immersion pls.Make 100b actually spawn 100 blades, because it takes me right out of the game :/Make the whirlwind cast actual whirlwind instead of spinning for some reason, or unplayable.Is bladetrail leaving the trail? I think we're actually good here, lucky!Also by that exact logic, you should be expecting a severe long-term damage from any stun skill. And you'd suddenly be fine with "pebble" somehow stunning people without inflicting the damage? That's not the immersion I'm expecting from a serious mmorpg.

Pretending it's not a complaint about the nerf, but an "immersion" issue is just silly. :D

• Confused 1

@"Multicolorhipster.9751" said:But I still want to be kind of immersed when I use the skill is all.

If I take a whole second-long animation to rip a quote "large boulder" from the ground, I expect it to hurt like a "large boulder" should, and not do half the damage of throwing a bolas less than a quarter of its size.That's why the joke (the removal of damage) needs to be reverted.

@"Sobx.1758" said:Make the heartseeker deal fatal damage because mah immersion pls.Make 100b actually spawn 100 blades, because it takes me right out of the game :/Make the whirlwind cast actual whirlwind instead of spinning for some reason, or unplayable.Is bladetrail leaving the trail? I think we're actually good here, lucky!Also by that exact logic, you should be expecting a severe long-term damage from any stun skill. And you'd suddenly be fine with "pebble" somehow stunning people without inflicting the damage? That's not the immersion I'm expecting from a serious mmorpg.

That's all silly because all the names of those skills are metaphorical descriptions of the actual skill action.

Whirlwind Strike for instance: "Whirl in a target's direction, slashing foes along your path." Nothing in that description says anything about spawning an actual whirlwind.

Now compare that to...

Throw Boulder: "Throw a large boulder at your foe."

Pretending it's not a complaint about the nerf, but an "immersion" issue is just silly. :D

If large boulder is supposed to be some kind of metaphor, I don't get it yo. Boulder's just don't work that way. Big rocks hurt, I learned so watching the History channel. I don't care about the damage the skill does so long as it accurately reflects what's going on my screen. I'm seriously bugging out, and I can see the code.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Make the heartseeker deal fatal damage because mah immersion pls.Make 100b actually spawn 100 blades, because it takes me right out of the game :/Make the whirlwind cast actual whirlwind instead of spinning for some reason, or unplayable.Is bladetrail leaving the trail? I think we're actually good here, lucky!Also by that exact logic, you should be expecting a severe long-term damage from any stun skill. And you'd suddenly be fine with "pebble" somehow stunning people without inflicting the damage? That's not the immersion I'm expecting from a serious mmorpg.

That's all silly because all the names of those skills are metaphorical descriptions of the actual skill action.

And now so is throw boulder. You're actually throwing Now feel free to stay immersed, you're welcome :D

If large boulder is supposed to be some kind of metaphor, I don't get it yo.

Just use your imagination, I'm sure you can come up with the right material/device disguised as a metaphorical boulder.

Boulder's just don't work that way. Big rocks hurt, I learned so watching the History channel. I don't care about the damage the skill does so long as it accurately reflects what's going on my screen. I'm seriously bugging out, and I can see the code.

You can't be really sure until you experience it yourself though, can't just blindly trust the tv.Also if you care so much about being immersed, then stop respawning and delete your characters on death. o/

Pretending it's not a complaint about a nerf because you sarcastically complain about "immersion" doesn't make it any less of a complaint about the nerf.

• Confused 1

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:All jokes aside they overnerfed the damage.

@"Fueki.4753" said:That's why the joke (the removal of damage) needs to be reverted.

I can neither confirm nor deny these statements, as I don't bother with actual balance, but I am going to +1 these as you both seem to be actually trying to help resolve the issue at least. I will say that size of the "boulder" and time it takes to use relative to what [Throw Boulder] actually does is actually stupid. It ruins my immersion, and i'm clearly very upset by this.

@Mogwai.4015 said:Are rocks heat-seeking? Can they change direction mid-air?

No, to answer your first question. Yes, to answer your second question.

Since a pebble is a much smaller rock, the influence the air has on the direction of a pebble is much greater than that of a boulder by a large amount but they are both affected regardless.

@Sobx.1758 said:And now so is throw boulder. You're actually throwing Now feel free to stay immersed, you're welcome :D

?

Just use your imagination, I'm sure you can come up with the right material/device disguised as a metaphorical boulder.

But then the damage and added effect should theoretically change based on the mass and density of whatever surface you're standing on. Maybe for GW3 we'll get technology like that, but for this one skill i'd rather throw a pebble to better illustrate in my brain: Big rock = big hurt, tiny rock = tiny hurt.

I'm not asking for the damage to change, i'm just saying if it's going to do as much damage as it does; it may as well be a pebble, you feel me?

You can't be really sure until you experience it yourself though, can't just blindly trust the tv.

Au contraire. I have Bill Nye on my side.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:I'm not asking for the damage to change, i'm just saying if it's going to do as much damage as it does; it may as well be a pebble, you feel me?

Nah, it should stay as it is, because getting stunned by a pebble would break my immersion.

You can't be really sure until you experience it yourself though, can't just blindly trust the tv.

Au contraire. I have Bill Nye on my side.

Pretty sure he was never slapped in the face with the boulder. I rest my case.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Rather than changing the functionality, I'd like Anet to revert the bad joke they did to Rampage and add break bars to players in PvP for an
overall nerf to CC

cool

Make the heartseeker deal fatal damage because mah immersion pls.Make 100b actually spawn 100 blades, because it takes me right out of the game :/Make the whirlwind cast actual whirlwind instead of spinning for some reason, or unplayable.Is bladetrail leaving the trail? I think we're actually good here, lucky!Also by that exact logic, you should be expecting a severe long-term damage from any stun skill. And you'd suddenly be fine with "pebble" somehow stunning people without inflicting the damage? That's not the immersion I'm expecting from a serious mmorpg.

Heartseeker is only seeking the heart, not 100% of the time always stabbing right through it.Silly

@RedShark.9548 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

Heartseeker is only seeking the heart, not 100% of the time always stabbing right through it.Silly

Soooo you're saying there's a % chance to oneshot with heartseeker? :o

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

Well, the idea behind it is, that the more wounded you are, the less agile etc, so less movement and easier for the thief to hit the heart. =more dmg the lower you are.

But tbh, a hit to the heart probably wouldnt kill the PC anyways, plotarmor :^)

@RedShark.9548 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

Well, the idea behind it is, that the more wounded you are, the less agile etc, so less movement and easier for the thief to hit the heart. =more dmg the lower you are.

Well that's one crappy assassin move then if he keeps missing unless the target is almost dead anyways. Took me right out of the game :angry:

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

Well that's one crappy assassin move then if he keeps missing unless the target is almost dead anyways. Took me right out of the game :angry:

Thats why they have backstab, firat they backstab you, and if you manage to survive they stab you in the heart, to end your suffering

@RedShark.9548 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

Thats why they have backstab, firat they backstab you, and if you manage to survive they stab you in the heart, to end your suffering

If I trained for 80 levels and 375982346978 masteries/ELITE!specs "and whatnot" to have a move called "heartseeker", I did it to deliver accurate stab to the heart and end the fight that way, not use it as a finisher after backstabbing or otherwise slapping my assassination target. Even moreso, comming in stealthed to calmly aim my heartseeking stab would be a perfect opportunity to have a near 100% success rate, why would I want to just randomly stab someone on the back from there? I tell you, literally unplayable. All the previous immersion? Instantly gone! :/

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

overall nerf to CC

cool

If I trained for 80 levels and 375982346978 masteries/ELITE!specs "and whatnot" to have a move called "heartseeker", I did it to deliver accurate stab to the heart and end the fight that way, not use it as a finisher after backstabbing or otherwise slapping my assassination target. Even moreso, comming in stealthed to calmly aim my heartseeking stab would be a perfect opportunity to have a near 100% success rate, why would I want to just randomly stab someone on the back from there? I tell you, literally unplayable. All the previous immersion? Instantly gone! :/

Because armor and randomdodging, dont you see ppl constantly rolling around, dodging those thiefs?