Yes,this just happened

Ghetx.1752

I got hit by a 14,580 split surge from mirage last night, I was impressed - I actually love it lol. Not sure what else I had on me like vuln or whatever but it was before I was downed and I was on cleric gear on weaver with +vit trait so it wasn't really much hp above that hit. I was hit by a 4k hamstring just before that which made for the hp difference so I must've had a full stack of something on me. It's not really a problem for me since it was in a zerg and stuff is flying everywhere, I just like big numbers whether I am receiving or dishing it out.Honestly I don't mind dmg like this, it's not like they (thieves) can do anything else for their role. If I die I can always come back.

It's probably because you were running no toughness and the enemy had vulnerability on you + might stacks. If it's a deadeye maybe malice stacks. Keep in mind like revs, necros, and eles , thieves also have the +20% damage bonus trait vs targets less than 50% HP which is multiplicative.

The coefficient on malicious backstab (a stealth attack from deadeye) is 2.4 when hitting from behind which is similar to Vault (2.25) which is why staff daredevil is sought after. Given that vault is far more spammable (because it doesn't rely on stealth) and AoE along with Bound (1.75 coefficient because PvP split of 1.33 wasn't brought to WvW), complaining about malicious backstab seems unwarranted.Dagger+pistol thief used to be much more potent but other things power-crept.

The issue with keep/tower/camp bonuses is they stack with ascended food + utility bloodlust so you end up with really lopsided matchups of power vs toughness.That's the great thing about the armistice bastion golems, you can see for yourself the damage output of builds versus a fixed target without those keep/tower/bloodlust buffs.

@hugeboss.5432 said:There are other classes that can hit equally hard & even higher that dont require any stealthing or positioning hassle like the thief has. 17k is very acceptable imo (even tho i dislike the stealth backstab playstyle, as it doesnt usually lead up to fun combat brawls).It would be better if thief could do this without stealth. I could frigging see him you know and try to dodge or run back to inside tower. :D

@Infusion.7149 said:It's probably because you were running no toughness and the enemy had vulnerability on you + might stacks. If it's a deadeye maybe malice stacks. Keep in mind like revs, necros, and eles , thieves also have the +20% damage bonus trait vs targets less than 50% HP which is multiplicative.

The coefficient on malicious backstab (a stealth attack from deadeye) is 2.4 when hitting from behind which is similar to Vault (2.25) which is why staff daredevil is sought after. Given that vault is far more spammable (because it doesn't rely on stealth) and AoE along with Bound (1.75 coefficient because PvP split of 1.33 wasn't brought to WvW), complaining about malicious backstab seems unwarranted.Dagger+pistol thief used to be much more potent but other things power-crept.

The issue with keep/tower/camp bonuses is they stack with ascended food + utility bloodlust so you end up with really lopsided matchups of power vs toughness.That's the great thing about the armistice bastion golems, you can see for yourself the damage output of builds versus a fixed target without those keep/tower/bloodlust buffs.

How can you even bring vault into this? If you choose to faceplant into it, that's nobody's fault.

Not that one can justify the other, anyways.

@Infusion.7149 said: It's probably because you were running no toughness and the enemy had vulnerability on you + might stacks. If it's a deadeye maybe malice stacks. Keep in mind like revs, necros, and eles , thieves also have the +20% damage bonus trait vs targets less than 50% HP which is multiplicative.The coefficient on malicious backstab (a stealth attack from deadeye) is 2.4 when hitting from behind which is similar to Vault (2.25) which is why staff daredevil is >sought after. Given that vault is far more spammable (because it doesn't rely on stealth) and AoE along with Bound (1.75 coefficient because PvP split of 1.33 wasn't >brought to WvW), complaining about malicious backstab seems unwarranted.Dagger+pistol thief used to be much more potent but other things power-crept.The issue with keep/tower/camp bonuses is they stack with ascended food + utility bloodlust so you end up with really lopsided matchups of power vs toughness.That's the great thing about the armistice bastion golems, you can see for yourself the damage output of builds versus a fixed target without those >keep/tower/bloodlust buffs.

90% of viable builds with 4-5 stars run without toughness.Its clearly viable and doable,its all good when you face enemy you fight,at least you had chance to fight back.

Its whole different story if someone pops out of nowhere and oneshot you,literally,trough all of your buffs,traits and -% foods.

You clearly play thief,so your respond is more than expected,but please,don't sit there,trying to justify build you play.No build should be able to do this,because its literally broken and unfair.

@Ghetx.1752 said:

@Infusion.7149 said: It's probably because you were running no toughness and the enemy had vulnerability on you + might stacks. If it's a deadeye maybe malice stacks. Keep in mind like revs, necros, and eles , thieves also have the +20% damage bonus trait vs targets less than 50% HP which is multiplicative.The coefficient on malicious backstab (a stealth attack from deadeye) is 2.4 when hitting from behind which is similar to Vault (2.25) which is why staff daredevil is >sought after. Given that vault is far more spammable (because it doesn't rely on stealth) and AoE along with Bound (1.75 coefficient because PvP split of 1.33 wasn't >brought to WvW), complaining about malicious backstab seems unwarranted.Dagger+pistol thief used to be much more potent but other things power-crept.The issue with keep/tower/camp bonuses is they stack with ascended food + utility bloodlust so you end up with really lopsided matchups of power vs toughness.That's the great thing about the armistice bastion golems, you can see for yourself the damage output of builds versus a fixed target without those >keep/tower/bloodlust buffs.

90% of viable builds with 4-5 stars run without toughness.Its clearly viable and doable,its all good when you face enemy you fight,at least you had chance to fight back.

Its whole different story if someone pops out of nowhere and oneshot you,literally,trough all of your buffs,traits and -% foods.

You clearly play thief,so your respond is more than expected,but please,don't sit there,trying to justify build you play.No build should be able to do this,because its literally broken and unfair.

He doesn’t.

‘Viable’ when in a Zerg or running with firebrands. It’s why boons, passive defenses and sustain needs to be nerfed as well.

I am certain you didn’t play the ‘broken’ holosmith build either...

Wild Strike has a 0.65 multplier and hits you for 4k.

Did you play an ambient creature or what? Or that deadeye is the zerkiest zerker of all zerkers and dies in a sneeze.

Pro-tipp: at spawn speak to the gear seller and buy some soldier gear. It's the base gear for beginners in wvw (like you seem one to be) since release. That same deadeye will just tickle you when he engages you the next time and you don't have to think about stuff like paying attention after getting marked.

@"KrHome.1920" said:Wild Strike has a 0.65 multplier and hits you for 4k.

Did you play an ambient creature or what? Or that deadeye is the zerkiest zerker of all zerkers and dies in a sneeze.

Pro-tipp: at spawn speak to the gear seller and buy some soldier gear. It's the base gear for beginners in wvw (like you seem one to be) since release. That same deadeye will just tickle you when he engages you the next time and you don't have to think about stuff like paying attention after getting marked.

eHCleBd.jpg

I survived the first hit and entered Shroud. Most of the following hits were taken in Shroud until the last few.

This was taken some months ago now, but I know those numbers are still possible.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I got hit by a 14,580 split surge from mirage last night, I was impressed - I actually love it lol. Not sure what else I had on me like vuln or whatever but it was before I was downed and I was on cleric gear on weaver with +vit trait so it wasn't really much hp above that hit. I was hit by a 4k hamstring just before that which made for the hp difference so I must've had a full stack of something on me. It's not really a problem for me since it was in a zerg and stuff is flying everywhere, I just like big numbers whether I am receiving or dishing it out.Honestly I don't mind dmg like this, it's not like they (thieves) can do anything else for their role. If I die I can always come back.

I feel the same. I don't think the damage we can achieve right now is healthy for the game, but I still love seeing ridiculous numbers. Every now and then when I get popped for 20k or something I'm not even mad, it's just good for a laugh.

I would say it's my own fault for running glassy, but I've been near one shot with 3.5k armor ( full Trailblazer + Undead runes ) as well so, against some things I don't think armor is going to save you. Always better to l2dodge.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:I would say it's my own fault for running glassy, but I've been near one shot with 3.5k armor ( full Trailblazer + Undead runes ) as well so, against some things I don't think armor is going to save you. Always better to l2dodge.It wont. Many people seem to misinterprete the purpose of armor when roaming. Its just there to give you time. Time for reinforcements to arrive so you can kill zerkers that do not have the time to spare.

You can dodge with or without armor so thats irrelevant.

@Sovereign.1093 said:Force sigil of impact bloodlust plus ferocity food with crit at least 50.

:) I would say get good but, there are cheese buildsDA, CS, DE full zerk and assassin signet, 25 bloodlust stacks ... the build is no secret. It's a one trick pony and the game has plenty of them. It doesn't seem that anet has a problem with such builds. They exist since the game exists and they can be called balanced as long as they have poor sustain once their trick is avoided. And this deadeye build has poor sustain.

These kind of builds are reaction or mechanical knowledge tests. Once you got map awareness and have a decent knowledge about class mechanics they are dealable.

Of course this does not mean that unbalanced versions of such builds never existed.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:Force sigil of impact bloodlust plus ferocity food with crit at least 50.

:) I would say get good but, there are cheese buildsDA, CS, DE full zerk and assassin signet, 25 bloodlust stacks ... the build is no secret. It's a one trick pony and the game has plenty of them. It doesn't seem that anet has a problem with such builds. They exist since the game exists and they can be called balanced as long as they have poor sustain once their trick is avoided. And this deadeye build has poor sustain.

These kind of builds are reaction or mechanical knowledge tests. Once you got map awareness and have a decent knowledge about class mechanics they are dealable.

Of course this does not mean that unbalanced versions of such builds never existed.

Still no 50k soul beast maul. Hehe

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Still no 50k soul beast maul. Hehe

Still balanced... a press of a button should easilly reward player to kill targets.This happens when a player is born with the gw2 pvp gift.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:It's probably because you were running no toughness and the enemy had vulnerability on you + might stacks. If it's a deadeye maybe malice stacks. Keep in mind like revs, necros, and eles , thieves also have the +20% damage bonus trait vs targets less than 50% HP which is multiplicative.

How can you even bring vault into this? If you choose to faceplant into it, that's nobody's fault.

Not that one can justify the other, anyways.

If he's complaining about the damage, it isn't even the highest consistent damage available to thief. Also the majority of groups run stealth gyro so having a Vault/Bound combo out of stealth is not out of the ordinary , which is what I'm assuming this thread is about (high damage out of stealth).

Also

@Ghetx.1752 said:

Actually no , I play all heavy and light classes plus engineer typically. Most of my play hours are on pre-nerf chrono, now on firebrand , spellbreaker, holo (roaming), and frontline rev mostly with some scrapper play when there's enough boons to full trigger med kit. I used to play necro at PoF release but now it's pretty braindead and when boonmeta + revs came around I basically stopped playing elementalist often. I play what's most effective overall in a squad that requires actual awareness (less likely that PUGs use it: see 10 target scourges before nerf) based on testing , not whatever gimmick one-shot build is of the month. The next thing you know people will be making berserker warriors with gunflame again, and we'll have another one of these threads similar to the rifle deadeye ones. In the grand scheme of things those builds are basically trolls.

17K isn't enough to down any meta build without toughness since they're running marauder. Even berserker necros have 19K. ~16K on an engineer is base health.

As I stated before, if you have the Armistice Bastion pass you can test builds yourself. It's always easy to complain if you're on the receiving end of the damage without understanding the reason for that damage. If I had to tally the most consistently painful things it's probably Vault (relying on daredevil mobility and evades to not insta-melt while pushing that damage out), Phase Smash (very low risk), full might stack meteor showers on glassy weavers (with a huge tradeoff of being rooted), and arc divider (berserkers on a stealth gyro+winds push) , and the occasional Gravedigger/Executioner's strike from full glass reaper.