General: Rerolled to Holosmith

Coolguy.8702

And havent looked backed, Scourge feels so easy to play in all 3 game modes and there's no exciting active gameplay at all. For pvp and wvw all you need to do is just spam shade skills and ghastly breach off cd and you'll more than likely see tons of downs. Pve wasn't any more fun because the rotation there generic and lackluster. At least with holosmith, I'm feeling this high risk/high reward active that necro/scourge has never really had and the block/invuln type defenses are much more exciting than the little hp barriers on scourge. Maybe if they ever decide to make necro actually engaging to play and give it proper defenses then I can see it being much more fun to play in comparison to the low risk/high reward class we have right now

Gave up on PvP and WvW a while ago myself, PvE wise I did the same and switched to holosmith. I look for scourge to get gutted either soon or the next balance patch since ANET seem to overestimate the defensive capabilities of barrier with scourge. I hate that being a necro main myself, but seeing everything that has happened with Necro in the past few months leading up to PoF has really shaken my confidence in the balance team regarding necromancer. And it was already on a cracked foundation to begin with.

Necros got these things called elite specs, reaper does jack hence needs a buff, scourge is op and it needs a tone down. Lol no pleasing you people... righto so what build in the necroverse hits the happy medium.. none, hence the whinge. What in gods name is with these heros who flying in with a wet towel. Go enjoy your class and leave us to it.

@dceptaconroy.7928 said:Necros got these things called elite specs, reaper does jack hence needs a buff, scourge is op and it needs a tone down. Lol no pleasing you people... righto so what build in the necroverse hits the happy medium.. none, hence the whinge. What in gods name is with these heros who flying in with a wet towel. Go enjoy your class and leave us to it.

We play necro for the last few years because we hate ourselves and enjoy forum QQ about how non viable we are. Take that away and what do we have left!?! Nerf Scourge so I can feel again! /s

@dceptaconroy.7928 said:Necros got these things called elite specs, reaper does jack hence needs a buff, scourge is op and it needs a tone down. Lol no pleasing you people... righto so what build in the necroverse hits the happy medium.. none, hence the whinge. What in gods name is with these heros who flying in with a wet towel. Go enjoy your class and leave us to it.

The only build that hit the "happy medium" is, at the moment, the condi reaper. It's only downside is that it does not grant any support on top of that. It's been the case for already more than a year I believe. The fact that condi rangers and elementalists were more practical and did more damage is not include in that perception of a "happy medium".

@Yakubyogami.7586 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Why Holo tho? lol

If the shroud is your draw into necromancer, holoforge is probably the closest thing to it outside of necromancer.

Shroud doesn't kill you

This is true, and in fact one of the things I've been finding where holosmith falls down with regards to reaper in PvE is general survivability even if you don't overheat. Part of that might be that my build isn't well tuned, though.

The general principle, though, is similar: you have your regular form, and a special mode which is more powerful, but which is hard to stay in indefinitely (reaper could sometimes manage it if it gets enough LF gain while in shroud; holosmith may be able to pull it off with the vent-heat-on-dodge trait, although I haven't tested it or seen it tested myself); thus creating a playstyle that hinges on making the best use of the resource that limits your usage of the special mode.

Obviously, they aren't exactly identical, but for traditional necromancer players who don't like the scourge playstyle but who don't feel that the reaper or core necro is viable in the current meta, holosmith probably is the next best thing.

Archived