Fix Ele Elite Skills

Newholiday.8103

With the upcoming balance patch in mind, could Anet finally take a look at ele elites? Aside from the weaver elite, they all suck. FGS needs to be on a shorter counter. Ele summons should be permanent. Also, let the melee summons (i.e. earth and water summons) use their abilities out of combat. Make rebound skill last longer than 5 seconds (at least 10-15 seconds), or increase the heal it gives upon killing blow, or give the aura automatically when the skill is activated rather than only if the killing blow is not received. No clue how tornado could be fixed, but its a shitty elite as well. Maybe replace it with something new and actually useful?

Any of these things would help core and tempest while avoiding buffing weaver, which is already in a good spot.

My issue with tornado on a glass class like ele is that I can't use any of my defensive skills while using it. So if a ranged dps decides to focus me, I'm pretty much dead. You can use it in small doses, like preventing a rez or disrupting a closely packed group and then immediately canceling it. But its a pretty underwhelming elite on a 90 sec cooldown just for those specific purposes.

@MyPuppy.8970 said:Well it's more a filler utility than an i-win button.

Doesn't have to be an 'i-win' button. But I would prefer something that doesn't require me to sacrifice all my defenses, especially on an ele, in order to use it. If it was just an unblockable aoe skill that knocks people back within a 240 radius around me, I would prefer that over what it currently is. Cause that way, I don't have to wait another 1.25 seconds to use the unblockable 'Dust Charge' ability after activating it, and I don't have the associated delay with having to cancel it after using it.

@thepolishman.2348 said:

@MyPuppy.8970 said:Well it's more a filler utility than an i-win button.

Doesn't have to be an 'i-win' button. But I would prefer something that doesn't require me to sacrifice all my defenses, especially on an ele, in order to use it. If it was just an unblockable aoe skill that knocks people back within a 240 radius around me, I would prefer that over what it currently is. Cause that way, I don't have to wait another 1.25 seconds to use the unblockable 'Dust Charge' ability after activating it, and I don't have the associated delay with having to cancel it after using it.

Tornado was meant to be a powerful utility, losing your defenses as a trade off. The powerful part got removed, but the trade off remained. I agree with you though, it's just that I have abandoned the idea of a useful elite long ago. I even suggested (and other forum members) the ability to slot a regular utility instead of an elite. Life would be so much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

@thepolishman.2348 said:With the upcoming balance patch in mind, could Anet finally take a look at ele elites? Aside from the weaver elite, they all suck. FGS needs to be on a shorter counter. Ele summons should be permanent. Also, let the melee summons (i.e. earth and water summons) use their abilities out of combat. Make rebound skill last longer than 5 seconds (at least 10-15 seconds), or increase the heal it gives upon killing blow, or give the aura automatically when the skill is activated rather than only if the killing blow is not received. No clue how tornado could be fixed, but its a kitten elite as well. Maybe replace it with something new and actually useful?

Any of these things would help core and tempest while avoiding buffing weaver, which is already in a good spot.

Second. I like all of these suggestions. All of the elites are SO spec specific and situational I often don't even pop them in a match or just use them for some mobility then drop FGS or nado when I'm safely away. The only one I actually find impactful is Tornado but only when specced with Air/Lightning Rod and even then it's clunky and hard to use effectively without blowing a bunch of other CDs first to support it.

@Fueki.4753 said:I like my Elite Elemental.It's the best Elementalist Elite skill in my opinion.

I recently did some pve, and those magma elementals are so much better :/

@Yasai.3549 said:I wish Tornado was more threatening.

Funny how Daggerstorm is better than Tornado is at actually providing area denial and safety at the same time.

On a way shorter cooldown.

I use Tornado all the time for revive/stomp denial. Also great if you want to see necros fly with cows. Doesn't feel very elite-ish but it's quite fun :) Also helps cleaning the node a bit when there's too much cluster on it.

Tornado is a great elite skill. with cantrip its on 72 cooldownStabi, 10 target , regen and vigor and cancer cleanse.

But apart from weave self - the other elite skills are only bad.

fgs cooldown = rofl yolo lol ... it needs 60-90. and not 180 ... lolroflyolo --_-the minion needs to be perma and more life, more speed, more damage, much more life, much more damage...

rebound is bad too.New rebound: stun breaker | cast time instant | Duration 5 sec -> 10 sec > | heal 28xx -> 5000 flat + 2500 barrier | affects only the player on lethal damage.after 10 seconds and you are still alive: Gain all Auras for 4 seconds; 2500 heal, 500 barrier | affects only the player.Cooldown 75 -> 60.

@Fashion Mage.3712 said:I'd imagine Tornado would be quite strong if it was a ground-targeted AoE rather than a form you shift into. As someone who likes the backline caster archetype, I think it'd be more fun to use too.

Even if you play melee, Tornado leaves you vulnerable to any attack.Tornado is only effective on a full glass cannon with Lightning Rod. Then, you are very fragile and I was downed several times because I was hesitant to leave form.

Well, I gotta say, as far as fixing ele elite skills go, this patch delivered. Reduction in damage makes tornado safer to use, ele summons finally had their durations buffed, and melee summons can finally use their abilities out of combat. Summon abilities are now considered elite skill uses too, which means they work extremely well with runes that have 'procs after using elite'. I imagine that summons will become the new go to elite skill for eles.

@thepolishman.2348 said:Well, I gotta say, as far as fixing ele elite skills go, this patch delivered. Reduction in damage makes tornado safer to use, ele summons finally had their durations buffed, and melee summons can finally use their abilities out of combat. Summon abilities are now considered elite skill uses too, which means they work extremely well with runes that have 'procs after using elite'. I imagine that summons will become the new go to elite skill for eles.

That makes me want to try a summoner build. Having 3 earth elementals at once would be nice against stuffs like unrelenting assault.

@"thepolishman.2348" said:I imagine that summons will become the new go to elite skill for eles.

I like to play off meta builds and thus, having used these summons quite a lot in pvp, and despite having realised its usefulness therein before these updates (especially as a staff elementalist), i first have to admit that these changes were desperately needed.

However seeing how badly some other ele elite skills have been treated in the past half decade, If more elementalists start using it in pvp, It wouldn't surprise me if people start complaining about the damage output of the Fire Elemental, or people will call to nerf the Water Elemental's seriously delayed, but powerful heal ( both of which were the most usefull elementals in pvp until this patch).

So if this becomes a thing, i predict great nerfs to the 'Glyph of Elementals' in the future. Unless, ofcourse, the other elites get their long overdue changes (since it appears to be one way or the other).

I've been inactive for a great while (except now and then logging in to check stuff) but for what it's worth:I agree with the updates, there were some serious power creep going on overall, so let's just wait for the next patches.I'm just glad that atleast the earth elemental has something to offer (at least staff) eles now in pvp, with its immobilize and that the air elemental's stun is a bit more "competitive" now.

@Fashion Mage.3712 said:I'd imagine Tornado would be quite strong if it was a ground-targeted AoE rather than a form you shift into. As someone who likes the backline caster archetype, I think it'd be more fun to use too.

Amazing! I couldn't agree more, Also, i think people have been calling for this for as long as i can remember! :# even before PoF launch xDI can't even dare to dream about casting a tornado instead of becoming one... Imagine combining it with meteor shower. I wouldn't even mind if they nerfed it down, just give me a castable tornado elite already!