I dislike the execute mechanic in PvP.

Aodlop.1907

It's especially frustrating when someone interrupts a 1v1 situation.You were winning, you beat the other guy, he's lying on the ground. His teammates arrive, and now he's back on his feet and you're dead. Never before in any competitive game ever have I felt that my victories were stolen from me.

I wish they'd scrap that entirely and just gave us more sustain instead. But to be fair, I don't expect they will. They can't. They sold cosmetics around this, and people who paid for those would be mad. Oh well...

I feel like your opinion is a little one-sided. What exactly does 'just give us more sustain' mean? There are already specializations and builds that are nearly impossible to kill, when played correctly of course. Every class can be played defensively and be built to sustain. On top of slotting defensive skills and traits, we also have a lot of defensive attribute combinations to gear our characters with. So on top of that, what? More vitality for each profession? That hardly sounds like a solution to anything.

I think the downstate brings a very strategic edge to the combat system. Yes, sometimes allies are able to revive a fallen teammate and 'steal' the kill from you, but in return, you are also given a chance to be revived or rally from getting a downstate kill. It also gives some leniency (not much IMO, but some) for mistakes, as you still have a small chance to get up and keep on fighting.

A skilled player with experience will know to cleave on the downed player and their allies who are reviving them, or interrupt the revive, or get a stealth stomp, or simply suck up the 'loss' and run away from the situation.

I'd welcome more no-downstate events in WvW every now and then, but otherwise I'd say the system is fine. It's not perfect for sure, but fine.

Also, I highly doubt ANet makes that much money from the cosmetic finishers anyway. They are cheap enough to buy with gold, you get different ones from PvP ranks amd birthday gifts, and judging by how rarely I see paid finishers used in WvW/PvP, I don't think many people even care about them.

well the only pvp-mmporg i played before GW2 was neverwinter from PWE, and they had downed state too, the main differences to GW2, is that they dont had a too slow "finisher", just a universal "finish kick" and was quick, and the other one is that they "call for help" button really call attention of teamates.

Downstate in pvp can add more dynamic to fights if the games dev team are competant enough to balance it but gw2 balance team are not so....Downstate balance is as bad as the pvp balance itself. Who in the team thought a fast revive in a pvp mode was acceptable? Sure in pve it's fine but in pvp?These decisions and more like it should have been thrown out secs into their discussions.Honestly if they cant make steps to properly balance downstates they should be removed in pvp only until they can.Right now downstate feels like many of the other hand holding carry mechanics that are currently ruining the pvp potential of gw2.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:well the only pvp-mmporg i played before GW2 was neverwinter from PWE, and they had downed state too, the main differences to GW2, is that they dont had a too slow "finisher", just a universal "finish kick" and was quick, and the other one is that they "call for help" button really call attention of teamates.

also, there was no rally and the finisher kick took like 1s at best.