Evil self haunt ritual event in Bjora

hugo.4705

It troubled me, that ritual event (which one I love a lot like the doppelganger one in crystal desert) is led by a svanir necromancer. When you are chosen, you gain "Split Spirit".Description of the effect: "The dark magics of this ritual have wrenched a part of your essence from you. Find this unnatural haunt and defeat it! " sooo... We are made with essence? It's like our soul? I took the ritual as voodoo, but how Svanirs managed to manipulate spirits/souls like that? What gave me even more shivers is that the necromancer applies "Spirit Lured" -> "Dark magic permeates the area; it reaches through your body and wraps itself around a part of your spirit. As it grows stronger, it will be more difficult to resist. " Somehow the Svanir is able to make us fighting an evil twin without killing us or inflicting a condition to us. Then, I wonder, why Jormag isn't using that powerful weapon on everyone? Could be a tactic to send boneskinners against our troops as fear maker in addition of Haunts as distractions from real threats. Maybe they've learned those skills recently, old svanirs used to do nothing apart summoning elementals or using ice magic. But guess the asuran researcher will tell us more later.

Never had the time to post that, so here you go.

@"hugo.4705" said:Somehow the Svanir is able to make us fighting an evil twin without killing us or inflicting a condition to us. Then, I wonder, why Jormag isn't using that powerful weapon on everyone?

They are. You can see a couple vigil/pact soldier aberrants who seem to be these spirit haunts. Those guys are probably dead but it's not "them". And it doesn't need to be true that the target is dead as it happens to you.

It's a copy, a non-essential "essence" of yourself.

But it can't be literally your soul as that is what makes you, you. Killing it then would be akin to killing yourself or a part of yourself (setting aside the argument over whether the spirit can ever actually truly die).

An argument in supernatural circles IRL goes about the idea of ghosts being the actual person VS impressions in the environment following highly emotional or sudden death(s), demonic masquerades, evil rituals the individual involved themselves in, etc.

The boneskinners habit of using the voices of it's victims to lure in the unsuspecting for example is based on the stories of skinwalkers IRL.

Spooky shenanigans. I'm interested in where using the essences of the Spirits of The Wild is going to lead us. It's probably not a "good" thing we're doing that.

@"hugo.4705" said:It troubled me, that ritual event (which one I love a lot like the doppelganger one in crystal desert) is led by a svanir necromancer. When you are chosen, you gain "Split Spirit".Description of the effect: "The dark magics of this ritual have wrenched a part of your essence from you. Find this unnatural haunt and defeat it! " sooo... We are made with essence? It's like our soul? I took the ritual as voodoo, but how Svanirs managed to manipulate spirits/souls like that? What gave me even more shivers is that the necromancer applies "Spirit Lured" -> "Dark magic permeates the area; it reaches through your body and wraps itself around a part of your spirit. As it grows stronger, it will be more difficult to resist. " Somehow the Svanir is able to make us fighting an evil twin without killing us or inflicting a condition to us. Then, I wonder, why Jormag isn't using that powerful weapon on everyone? Could be a tactic to send boneskinners against our troops as fear maker in addition of Haunts as distractions from real threats. Maybe they've learned those skills recently, old svanirs used to do nothing apart summoning elementals or using ice magic. But guess the asuran researcher will tell us more later.

Never had the time to post that, so here you go.

Hi Hugo,You have made some good observations. Everyone has an opinion on this topic, so let me share mine. These haunts are aspects of us that are tormented. By drawing them out, an Elder Dragon is resolving torment within it's sphere of influence.

To help explain torment, think of the idea that every spell we cast against someone else, using their life force, binds an aspect of that person's life force to us. In a sense, then, portions of their soul mingle with our own, causing malignancies that eventually turn into demons. This process - the mingling of others' lifeforce with our own and the formation of a demon - is perceived by those experiencing it as many things, including audible, and in it's final stages, visual hallucinations (the krait oil and Shadowstone both play into this as they are designed to lessen if not nullify this process).

I believe that Jormag is an air spirit who uses air to form ice. Anyway, the idea is that Jormag is resolving torment within the sphere of air magic. To do this, he draws from us all of the lifeforce that we have taken from others when we cast air magic against them. This life force forms our evil twin.

Now for the interesting part. The reason this twin resembles us is because every spell that we cast carries our energy signature. Think of our energy signature in the same way that you think of DNA. Imagine that every spell is like mixing your DNA with someone elses'. What do you get? A hodgepodge mix of life force that resembles a myriad of other people and you; with you as the only constant. This hodgepodge, were it to gain life, would resemble you moreso than anyone else, as you would have contributed the most life force to it.

Historically, terrestrial magicians have tried to resolve torment using water magic. The result of this approach was the would-be horror, Nightfall, which Kormir's ascension temporarily averted. However, terrestrial magicians continue to rely on water magic to resolve their torment, as Trahearne's attempt to cleanse Orr demonstrates. Trahearne travelled to the Source of Orr, a spring feeding a network of waterways that also served as waterborne ley-lines, to "cleanse" Orr. This probably irked Zaithan, whose behavior suggests that he isn't a fan of using water magic to solve other magics' problems.

I could go on, but this explanation is best spun into a theory, for which I do not have the time at present. Suffice to say that demons such as Menzies probably formed in exactly the way that I have just described.

I hope that this helps :)

@"hugo.4705" said:It troubled me, that ritual event (which one I love a lot like the doppelganger one in crystal desert) is led by a svanir necromancer. When you are chosen, you gain "Split Spirit".Description of the effect: "The dark magics of this ritual have wrenched a part of your essence from you. Find this unnatural haunt and defeat it! " sooo... We are made with essence? It's like our soul? I took the ritual as voodoo, but how Svanirs managed to manipulate spirits/souls like that? What gave me even more shivers is that the necromancer applies "Spirit Lured" -> "Dark magic permeates the area; it reaches through your body and wraps itself around a part of your spirit. As it grows stronger, it will be more difficult to resist. " Somehow the Svanir is able to make us fighting an evil twin without killing us or inflicting a condition to us.

The idea of fracturing spirits is far from a new one, and has been around since Nightfall in some form, at least.

Splitting souls is among the teachings of "dark necromancy", similar to how "dark mesmerism" is twisting minds and controlling people. I am doubtful that this is a tool gifted by Jormag (or obtained from Wolverine), because Marjory and Lessandro both recognize it as twisted necromancy.

Then, I wonder, why Jormag isn't using that powerful weapon on everyone? Could be a tactic to send boneskinners against our troops as fear maker in addition of Haunts as distractions from real threats. Maybe they've learned those skills recently, old svanirs used to do nothing apart summoning elementals or using ice magic. But guess the asuran researcher will tell us more later.

Besides the fact that necromancers seem to be overall uncommon among the Sons of Svanir (this is technically the first time we see it happening), I'm not so sure this is a "powerful weapon" if it's an easily recognized necromancy practice. That said, it is being used, as Vigil Haunts are seen attacking the south side during the meta.

And while the Boneskinner is said to be a servant of Jormag it seems rather... uncontrolled, and lore also links it to the forest which makes me wonder about that one out-of-the-way reference to them being minions of Jormag...