Ferocious Strikes CS Trait

alejandro.2093

it would be more competitive in PvE DPS if this trait will be changed from the current iteration of

"Gain increased critical damage against foes whose health is above the threshold."

to

gain increased critical damage to foes, whenever you have fury

because in its current state, we LOSE the modifier if the monster/opponent does not meet the HP threshold

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:it would be more competitive in PvE DPS if this trait will be changed from the current iteration of

"Gain increased critical damage against foes whose health is above the threshold."

to

because in its current state, we LOSE the modifier if the monster/opponent does not meet the HP threshold

We already have an trait that increase our dps when we have fury in the same line.The current version is nice in pvp as it boosts your opener, but as a raider im up to change it to something that boosts my overall dps a bit more than the current trait does. As atm it feels just weird to "swap" this trait to executioner once the boss is below 50% health.

It could boost our dps against a foe that has vulnerability condition on them, maybe like 7% more damage against foes that are vulnerable.It can be something totally different aswell ofc.

How about a stacking damage bonus like revs have, so gain stacks on critical hits, 3% bonus damage per per stack, 5 stacks maximum? That would feel better than the current iteration for me as it would reward sustained attacks instead of instagibs and would be more useful in more circumstances. Obviously feel free to tweak numbers etc.

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:it would be more competitive in PvE DPS if this trait will be changed from the current iteration of

to

Ferocious Strike is meant to help you bring the target's health down to a point where Executioner (DA GM trait) will pick up. With Practiced Tolerance and No Quarter in the mix, it would be more than enough to rapidly reduce the target's health below 50%. And even if you lose the bonus from Ferocious Strike, you still maintain the bonuses from Practiced Tolerance and No Quarter.

The bonus from Executioner is more than enough to negate the loss from Ferocious Strike since it buff all damage which includes critical damage. It is only a loss if you don't take Executioner otherwise is it a net gain. If you opted to not take DA, then that is the trade-off, the cost you have to pay for increasing your survivability.

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:because in its current state, we LOSE the modifier if the monster/opponent does not meet the HP thresholdThat's the whole purpose of the trait.

It's like saying the "executioner" trait is bad because it increases the damage only when the target meets the threshold. Sounds stupid, don't you think?

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:I have researched most of the classes "critical trait lines" its only thief that has a "trade-off" correct me if I missed any trait lines,Most damage multiplier traits are bound to specific conditions like a hitpoint threshold, a certain amount of time after something else happened or that you have to give up other valueable utility when you select the trait.

Ferocious strikes is a minor trait. You don't need to give up anything. It's for free in any dps build and teef has excellent dps numbers. So why do you want to buff it?

Changing the trait to offer lower damage, but more uptime and require upkeep/ramp-up would be nice, I think. It contributes in some small part to frontloaded burst that helps out '1-shot' setups.

That said, giving Crit Strikes some reworks could be interesting. It'd be nice to have something that's. uhh. How to say...more than just plain ol damage modifiers. I would like to have some form of interaction with my traits, kthx.

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:I have researched most of the classes "critical trait lines" its only thief that has a "trade-off" correct me if I missed any trait lines,

Did you really do "research"? If so, you should've researched "all", not "most", which you obviously have missed many key traits.

• Elementalist has the worst trade-off in the game. Not only that you have to take the crit trait line, but you also have to be attuned to the element (i.e. Aeromancer's Training).
  • Warrior has to sacrifice increase Ferocity if they choose not to take Axe mastery and dual wield axes. So as soon as you swap weapons, you traded your bonus for something else...maybe for a shield to increase your suvivability.
  • The release of Soulbeast made the whole Beastmaster trait line obsolete for the Ranger. So if you take both trait lines, you're trading off pet stat bonus from BM when you fuse with your pet, then you trade your stat bonus by not fusing with your pet.

That's just to name a few. Do better research next time.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Oldgrimm.8521" said:because in its current state, we LOSE the modifier if the monster/opponent does not meet the HP thresholdThat's the whole purpose of the trait.

It's like saying the "executioner" trait is bad because it increases the damage only when the target meets the threshold. Sounds stupid, don't you think?

Executioner makes sense. The weaker a target gets, the easier they are to kill. I suppose Ferocious Strikes could take a similar approach... do extra damage to targets above 50% health, and take less damage from enemies under 50% health... due to the targets being so damaged, their attacks are no longer as powerful.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

Executioner makes sense. The weaker a target gets, the easier they are to kill. I suppose Ferocious Strikes could take a similar approach...
do extra damage to targets above 50% health, and take less damage from enemies under 50% health
... due to the targets being so damaged, their attacks are no longer as powerful.

But that's what Lotus Poison does, it weakens your target that they fumble their attacks. To add damage reduction would significantly turn their weapons to pillows.

Now imagine if you're on the receiving end...

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Executioner makes sense. The weaker a target gets, the easier they are to kill. I suppose Ferocious Strikes could take a similar approach...
do extra damage to targets above 50% health, and take less damage from enemies under 50% health
... due to the targets being so damaged, their attacks are no longer as powerful.

But that's what Lotus Poison does, it weakens your target that they fumble their attacks. To add damage reduction would significantly turn their weapons to pillows.

If someone wants to run Crit Strikes and deadly arts, more power to 'em I say.

@Curennos.9307 said:

If someone wants to run Crit Strikes
and
deadly arts, more power to 'em I say.

Right. But the Dev designs their traits with that in mind so even a slight possibility that a DA/CS/x will dominate, they will not do it. And yes, there are existing builds that take both trait lines.

and

Right. But the Dev designs their traits with that in mind so even a slight possibility that a DA/CS/x will dominate, they will not do it. And yes, there are existing builds that take both trait lines.

I can't recall anyone really caring about speculation on what the devs will and will not do as a means of enabling or shutting down discussion. It's a good idea, and I am all for enabling off meta builds. Also, Lotus Poison has 40%. 10% across the board when below 50% health will not have near the impact you're making it out to potentially have.

@Curennos.9307 said:

and

I can't recall anyone really caring about speculation on what the devs will and will not do as a means of enabling or shutting down discussion. It's a good idea, and I am all for enabling off meta builds. Also, Lotus Poison has 40%. 10% across the board when below 50% health will not have near the impact you're making it out to potentially have.

The point is, the effect being proposed is no different than what DA already offers. The target is weakened via Lotus Poison, then you deal more damage when their health go below 50% (Executioner). Which means, the idea for Ferocious is redundant.

In GW1 there's a condition called Cracked Armor that can be used in conjunction with Ferocious Strike which makes a whole lot of sense. When they drop below 50%, their armor is reduced by X amount. Which means you dealt enough crit hits that reduces the durability of their armor. Also, CS is the best trait line to add Deep Wound condition on crit hits.

and

The point is, the effect being proposed is no different than what DA already offers. The target is weakened via Lotus Poison, then you deal more damage when their health go below 50% (Executioner). Which means, the idea for Ferocious is redundant.

In GW1 there's a condition called Cracked Armor that can be used in conjunction with Ferocious Strike which makes a whole lot of sense. When they drop below 50%, their armor is reduced by X amount. Which means you dealt enough crit hits that reduces the durability of their armor. Also, CS is the best trait line to add Deep Wound condition on crit hits.

Lotus Poison applies regardless of health threshold. Traitlines are allowed to have some overlap.

@Curennos.9307 said:

and

Lotus Poison applies regardless of health threshold. Traitlines are allowed to have some overlap.

If that is true, we should have seen this proposed change to Ferocious by now. They've reworked the traits, yet this never happened.

and

If that is true, we should have seen this proposed change to Ferocious by now. They've reworked the traits, yet this never happened.

There's no 'if this is true', you can check it yourself.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/170805715013730304/669312220546465792/unknown.png

You may be thinking of Panic Strike's 50% requirement.

@Curennos.9307 said:

and

If that is true, we should have seen this
proposed change to Ferocious
by now. They've reworked the traits, yet this never happened.

Note: "proposed change to Ferocious" which is "do extra damage to targets above 50% health, and take less damage from enemies under 50% health"

and

Note: "proposed change to Ferocious" which is "do extra damage to targets above 50% health, and take less damage from enemies under 50% health"

I don't follow. Anet not doing something isn't exactly a good guideline for...anything, really, considering how much they've left undone over the years (PW still doesn't say it evades in the tooltip).

@Curennos.9307 said:

and

I don't follow. Anet not doing something isn't exactly a good guideline for...anything, really, considering how much they've left undone over the years (PW still doesn't say it evades in the tooltip).

It's ok, the proposed idea is not going to happen anyway.

and

It's ok, the proposed idea is not going to happen anyway.

Neither do 99% of the things asked for on this forum.