Launcher not downloading

I stopped playing this game about a month after it came out. A few days ago I decided to give it another go playing a different class.

Three days. That's how long I've been trying to download this game.

I've looked up multiple "fixes" aka hoops that users have tried jumping through for years to try and get this launcher to download the game. Why is it, in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty, that this launcher still isn't working properly and users and still trying to get it to work after so many years?

Even though it says it's downloading (at like 10 mb/s) it still says it has 218,662 files to go since yesterday?

My internet is very good and I don't have this problem with anything else I've downloaded.

Has there seriously never been a way to get this to download faster in all the years since this game released? I'm able to play (but it apparently doesn't download while I'm playing) but some things seems to run very slow and don't load some textures (like the bigger towns and such).

So, I guess what I'm wondering is: will it every finish downloading? Is there any way to get it to download faster? I've tried turning off my firewall, unchecking the QoS, changing the streaming option to "max", running as admin, and a couple other things that I've forgotten now. I'm not super computer savvy so I won't try some of the more difficult things I've read in fear that I'll mess something up. If it just stops downloading I guess It'll just stay that way, but I was hoping that someone would have some better ideas at getting it to work.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my frustrations and in advance for any helpful suggestions <3

I'm playing on a 4 year old windows PC with windows 7 if that helps.

(If this belongs somewhere else can a moderator move it there please? and thank you!)

Some patch servers seem to be having problems, so if you fall into this group, the solution is to simply launch the game using:

-assetsrv 100.24.171.100

(see the wiki for how to use command line options)(confirm your ability to use this IP by accessing 100.24.171.100 - it should be a blue page with Windows Server on the top)(for future reference, this IP is temporary)

Note that you don't want to fully patch using this IP. It's the main server, so it's guaranteed to work, but it'll be slower. To find a more suitable IP, open a command prompt (search the start menu for cmd) and enter one of the following:

nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1
nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

The other causes are connection related, and will require using a VPN, or caused by something on your computer - the more obvious ones are anti-virus/spyware/ads, firewalls, optimizers, website filters, etc.

For more information on what's happening, you can launch GW2 using the -log option. Let it try to download for a few minutes, then exit and post the log. See the wiki on where to find Gw2.log.

Thank you so much for the replies! I did turn off all filters and such (it's still downloading btw). But I'll ask my son to help me with the suggestions about the IP options next time he has a chance. I really appreciate the answers! :)

@"Healix.5819" said:Some patch servers seem to be having problems, so if you fall into this group, the solution is to simply launch the game using:

-assetsrv 100.24.171.100

(see the wiki for how to use command line options)(confirm your ability to use this IP by accessing 100.24.171.100 - it should be a blue page with Windows Server on the top)(for future reference, this IP is temporary)

Note that you don't want to fully patch using this IP. It's the main server, so it's guaranteed to work, but it'll be slower. To find a more suitable IP, open a command prompt (search the start menu for cmd) and enter one of the following:

nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1

nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

The other causes are connection related, and will require using a VPN, or caused by something on your computer - the more obvious ones are anti-virus/spyware/ads, firewalls, optimizers, website filters, etc.

For more information on what's happening, you can launch GW2 using the -log option. Let it try to download for a few minutes, then exit and post the log. See
on where to find Gw2.log.

I am just curious, if you have actually tried to reinstall the game with this information? I have been trying for 4 days now with assistance from support team and I have had no luck. As a matter fact, they said they know its an ongoing issue and have no ETA on a fix. So have you recently, like in the last few days, actually installed the game with no launcher problems?

@"agmartes.2716" said:So have you recently, like in the last few days, actually installed the game with no launcher problems?

Many have, but I was personally never affected. Judging by what has worked for other people, there are two main groups:

1. using "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" worked, suggesting a server problem
  2. disabling QoS and enabling IPv6 worked (IPv6 shouldn't be disabled on Windows 10)

For other solutions, here's the longer version.

@"agmartes.2716" said:I have done both of those as suggested by the support team. Didn't work.

Those two aren't all of the potential fixes, they're just the two most common this time - they normally wouldn't have helped prior to this. Support will eventually tell you more.

If you're already past the playable point, you can just leave it like that. It'll probably be "fixed" next Tuesday, assuming there's a patch that causes the files to change.

You say you have done many installations, but not if any of those many installs were in the last week or so since this problem has had a few new threads added.

To confirm, I have no problems installing the game right now.

Update. I found this and added it to my shortcut and it worked. This may not work for anyone else but it did for me.

Throttling:Launch GW2 with the option:-image -assetsrv 52.202.155.150 -patchconnections 1This will be slow, so only use it when stuck.Change the 1 after -patchconnections to 20 (or higher) to instead flood it.

I never did change the setting from 1 up to 20 because I was afraid to change anything once the download passed the 259,000 files remaining. (where it had constantly failed after 7 failed installs) I have no idea if will work for anyone or why it worked for me. But I am happy to have my game back and I will never remove the file again if I can help it.

Well, it's possible to just copy the whole GW2 installation from another PC.If you put it in the right folder, once you run the launcher it will only download the launcher update and patches you're missing.Someone you know could just zip up the whole ~45GB folder and upload it to a cloud storage for you to download in case you don't have a 2nd PC nearby or a way to transfer that much data.

Just an option. Moved the game around a few times already by putting the GW2 folder on an USB.

I am having this issue on Windows 10. The download goes from downloading at 9 mb/second down to 1 kb/second and back up to 10 mb/sec. But then seems to just stop after a while so i try and restart it and get the same damn thing. I never had this issue a couple of years ago when i played. I have also tried most of these suggestions that people have been giving but no luck. This is silly.

This may have been asked and answered somewhere, but haven't found yet. My launcher on my MacBook Pro will start, do the typical download, and then freeze up on initializing. Had this happen last time my os updated and was able to do a re-install to fix, however that trick isn't working this time around. Any help would be great my Fern Hound is getting lonely.