Why still only 4 active crafting licences on a character?

Tyncale.1629

Allowing us to buy more licenses and have all crafting disciplines active on a single character seems like easy Gemstore money to me for Anet. I never understood why they do not allow this. I do not want to switch out disciplines for 40 silver nor do I want to log in an Alt. I want to hit a crafting station and start crafting whatever I want, and when I am not at a station I want to be able to see my recipes from all my disciplines in the crafting tab.

I know the 40 silver is peanuts but that is just not how that works for "convenience" buyers like me. :) And even then I want to be able to check all my recipes of all my disciplines when I am out in the field.

I am probably missing something, this really seems easy money for Anet. Is it the gold sink? Nah, people will just log in an Alt for accountbound stuff at least. I am confused.

(Edited for some bad math. :) )

When did it change? It used to be 2 active and 1 gold for each additional.

I just gave 2 each to my first 4 characters, maxed them, then forgot about leveling crafting unless I wanted easy xp on an alt. Given they all have access to the bank and material storage whenever I want to craft in another discipline I just swap to the character with it.

Playing multiple characters, aka alts, has been a core concept of Guild Wars since 2005. If you've bought the game in any way since it launched, you've got a minimum of 5 character slots, 2 free craft trades per character, and only 8 core crafting disciplines. With automatic bank inventory access for any character when crafting, switching to an alt with the appropriate discipline is trivial. The upper 4 discipline limit seems more of a small nod to their free to play core population with their whopping 2 character slots than anything that was done to appeal to a player like yourself (albeit, you would still have to buy 2 crafting licenses for the same cost as 2 character slots to gain access to the 8 disciplines across your two characters, so again, better off just buying one of the expansions, they're sneaky like that lol).

As for checking recipes in the field, they more or less have this. Since it's account wide for unlocking recipes as of July 2016, if you mouse over any merchants selling recipes, if it's unlocked, you'll get a red "You already know this recipe"

That said, I don't know really know why they have such a limit. There's no game balance reason, and if you're so opposed to using alts to gain access to all the crafting disciplines and wanted to drop the 4800 gems such that each of your characters could have all 8 core crafting disciplines, why not? About the only thing I can see as a "reason" to not have it higher than 4 is the character select screen mouse overs would be messy XD

@Menadena.7482 said:When did it change? It used to be 2 active and 1 gold for each additional.

I just gave 2 each to my first 4 characters, maxed them, then forgot about leveling crafting unless I wanted easy xp on an alt. Given they all have access to the bank and material storage whenever I want to craft in another discipline I just swap to the character with it.

there's a gemstore item that allows you to purchase additional crafting slots.

Adding crafting license are money hogs. U don't need those. Just switch when your crafting another one. It's un noticable for how much it cost. Instead of wasting gems on that. Put it into crafting mats to get to 500. Cause those are useless. Or use bank. Or added mat storage. But added crafting license. No. Don't do it.

So I guess there is no reason why Anet is not allowing this. I am more then willing to pay another 3200 gems to add 4 active disciplines to my already 4. I do not want to switch to an Alt and I want to be able to check all my recipes, to see if I still need certain ones for instance when I am reading up on a Legendary. Not just checking wether I have a certain recipe that I am currently looking at at a vendor(which is a great feature but not what I mean). I also play a single character only and I want him to be the Master of all Disciplines, not divided over Alts. :) He is already Master of 6, and I just hate it that I have to pay 40 silver in order to craft some food. Even though I could make that switch like 400 times for the amount of Gems/gold that an extra license would cost me.

I guess there are people who simply would never spend a single gem for such a minor convenience: then again, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that people pay hundreds if not thousands of Gems for a skin.....

Come on Anet, take my money.... :)

• 8 months later...

I'd really like to see additional crafting licenses. It's a convenience thing that only really benefits ANET as its gemstore purchases and gold/materials taken out of the economy.

The reasons why it shouldn't be in place, as far as whats listed here, are lukewarm reasons at best.

I have all the crafting disciplines maxed across characters. I wish I could do the crafting on any character rather than have to switch every time I need a specific item. I always thought the additional crafting licenses were silly once you had more characters than half the number of disciplines.

Yeah, I have 16 characters last time I counted and the only reason I even selected a craft at all after the first 4 were so some sites I listed my chars at would not complain. For the first 3 the heavy armor took the ability to craft their own armor and weapon, parallels for medium and light (although light took chef rather than a weapon craft). The fourth took the remaining 2 skills.

I suppose if you only had a couple characters it would be more worth the investment. I figured if I actually managed to forget who had what I could just use gw2efficiency or something.

Archived