Support role is one of my favorite play styles in WvW. I don't see removal of it as a good thing

Knighthonor.4061

Support role is one of my favorite play styles in WvW. I don't even play Firebrand. Just support on any class is enjoyable for me. From Healer to Booner and all in between. Scrapper and Revenant support are some of my favorite. Been playing Warrior support lately for the fun of it.

There been talk of heavy handed reducing Support in WvW.

Such a concept doesn't seem appealing or fun to me. It once again reduce a lot of the roles in the game like Vanilla GW2 when everything was DPS fest and not much fun.

I just hope the game not heading back this way in terms of gameplay design.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Support role is one of my favorite play styles in WvW. I don't even play Firebrand. Just support on any class is enjoyable for me. From Healer to Booner and all in between. Scrapper and Revenant support are some of my favorite. Been playing Warrior support lately for the fun of it.

Such a concept doesn't seem appealing or fun to me. It once again reduce a lot of the roles in the game like Vanilla GW2 when everything was DPS fest and not much fun.

Except you can't deny that healing in the game has been power crept just as hard as damage has and its to the point of too much, it especially can't stay as it is if the intention is to reduce damage coefficients across the board as that would then make sustain/healing far, far too powerful in comparison to the amount of damage being done.

Support was less available back in Core GW2 not due to the numbers on healing skills but due to the lack of them. Guardian was about it in terms of support and healing and even that didn't have a large number of skills that sustained healing on players. Guardian even back in Core GW2, though, was still a go to for boons for zergs and group play.

With all of the changes over the years the healing and support offered by Scrapper, Tempest, Revenant, especially Firebrand and even Warrior to some extent has just become more and more and more. It is too much and if support gets reduced, just like damage, the landscape for support and healing might change but that is just something that will need to be adapted to.

Who said that support is going to be removed?Heals and boons need to be lowered, when dmg and corrupts are getting lowered, because you wouldnt be able to kill stuff, honestly i think more support builds will even be viable, because support right now in wvw works like this:Alot of constant smaller healings to keep ppl as close to full hp as possible, because the amount of dmg flying around oneshots ppl, leaving no time for healers to target heal someone with a big heal.

If the dmg gets lowered, ppl wont die instantly and healer with big bursty heals like druid or ventari can actually do their thing.

This would even seperate good healers from bad.Because right now you just more or less passively heal everyone, but with less dmg and burst healer you actually have to actively look out for ppl who need heal etc.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Support role is one of my favorite play styles in WvW. I don't even play Firebrand. Just support on any class is enjoyable for me. From Healer to Booner and all in between. Scrapper and Revenant support are some of my favorite. Been playing Warrior support lately for the fun of it.

Except you can't deny that healing in the game has been power crept just as hard as damage has and its to the point of too much, it especially can't stay as it is if the intention is to reduce damage coefficients across the board as that would then make sustain/healing far, far too powerful in comparison to the amount of damage being done.

Support was less available back in Core GW2 not due to the
numbers
on healing skills but due to the
lack
of them. Guardian was about it in terms of support and healing and even that didn't have a large number of skills that sustained healing on players. Guardian even back in Core GW2, though, was still a go to for boons for zergs and group play.

With all of the changes over the years the healing and support offered by Scrapper, Tempest, Revenant,
especially
Firebrand and even Warrior to some extent has just become more and more and more. It is
too much
and if support gets reduced, just like damage, the landscape for support and healing might change but that is just something that will need to be adapted to.

Not entirely true... The idea around the combat in GW2 was to remove the 'Holy Trinity System' which they did to a certain extent. Yes, classes still had their roles in groups but when i first started playing WvW so many years ago, the meta was focused around group healing/teamplay far more than it is now... Yes, the TTK was a lot lower back then but you never had 'dedicated healers' because there wasn't any need for them. Guard, Warrior and Ele all used to be what you used to heal your party (Squads weren't a thing, glorious...) via blasting fields and skills/traits.

With the Powercreep, the healing potential HAD to increase to compensate but now both are at an extremely horrific level and both need to be addressed and toned down which hopefully, will happen.

@Fish.2769 said:

numbers
lack
of them. Guardian was about it in terms of support and healing and even that didn't have a large number of skills that sustained healing on players. Guardian even back in Core GW2, though, was still a go to for boons for zergs and group play.

With all of the changes over the years the healing and support offered by Scrapper, Tempest, Revenant,
especially
Firebrand and even Warrior to some extent has just become more and more and more. It is
too much
and if support gets reduced, just like damage, the landscape for support and healing might change but that is just something that will need to be adapted to.

Not entirely true... The idea around the combat in GW2 was to remove the 'Holy Trinity System' which they did to a certain extent. Yes, classes still had their roles in groups but when i first started playing WvW so many years ago, the meta was focused around group healing/teamplay far more than it is now... Yes, the TTK was a lot lower back then but you never had 'dedicated healers' because there wasn't any need for them. Guard, Warrior and Ele all used to be what you used to heal your party (Squads weren't a thing, glorious...) via blasting fields and skills/traits.

With the Powercreep, the healing potential HAD to increase to compensate but now both are at an extremely horrific level and both need to be addressed and toned down which hopefully, will happen.

Yes, this even was the selling point of gw2. They did not want to have the trinity because it would limit the gameplay. I wonder what happened to make them change it. Perhaps they ran out of ideas for builds with the expansions.

I am somewhat... conflicted on this.

On one hand, I see having the trinity as a way to focus your playstyle to what you like. Want to be healer? Fine! You can be a full minstrel guard. You cant do shit for damage, but if you run in a group of 5 you can do heavy sustain to the group. We see the effect on this daily, when a decent roaming group (ie dps revs, dps wars, dps anything) suddenly get a pocket healer. The survivability goes through the roof. A 5 vs 5 of "equal" roamers becomes impossible with a 5 vs 4+1. We're not even seeing individual skills anymore like "oh that is a guardian, he brought a reflect bubble, watch out" but rather "that's the healer". The ones with the pocket healer will win unless they're just plain worse. I've seen such groups easily sustain 10-15 randoms trying to bring them down. And of course we all know how reliant zergs are on them.

On the other hand... is this really the gameplay we want? That heavy handed support? Completely ignoring the profession skills and what it brings and just say... that's the healer? Long ago when we had to combo things it was more about the skills. Like, do you have a waterfield? Great. I got a blast. Lets work together. It was less about the class itself and just more about the skills they brought. For zerging sure certain classes has always dominated but we didnt really see this the same way for smallscale. I feel that it would make for a more balanced game when the profession themselves become... well, their professions... rather than a gear set. But will people really enjoy it?

And on the third hand, I have near zero faith that Anet can get the balancing right if they do bring the extremes down because Anet in themselves has a tendancy to go for extremes. Everytime the community says "well the cd on this slightly OP 40s skill could go up to like... 50s? Yeah then that's ok" then Anet says "CD INCREASED TO 180S BECAUSE REASONS". Some classes thrive in the current enviroment because some of those "op" things even when other classes are meta and overall dominates the playing field. We're probably talking many, many years to get it decent. So either it could be great or GW2 is heading into the dark ages, depending on what class your are unlucky enough to like.

1)Boon duration has to be nerfed ---- Certain dps builds have 100% boon uptime compared to some builds that got 2 boons with 5-10 sec uptime.

People spamming abilities without any thinking or any consequence its one of the reason why people avoid pvp.

2) Blocks,immune,infinite evades...NO PROFESSION EVER,should have blocks available every few seconds or infinite evade nor PERMA knockdown,while doing insane amounts of damage.

You want perma blocks or evades?Fine son,but u can't 2 shot people no more and you get to play support.

3)No support should be able to tank 5 people,while doing tons of damage.

4)No dps build should be able to tank 15 people,while picking them one by one,and ending up melting away 15 people solo.

5)No builds should be able to disengage on command and teleport all over the map,while spamming 2 abilities and destroying opponents.

We need people on Balance Team who actually play their game,and know what they are doing.

Its obvious by now,someone in charge has love for mesmers and thieves.

Not having full healing profession,you ended up with thieves and mesmers sitting for a half decade on top ranks.All these topics in pvp sections are because there's no full healer class.

No other game,in history of competitive gameplay has so much balance complaining topics.Its not possible 90% of the population don't know how to play pvp.Something is wrong with the game clearly.

Unfulfilled by his "They should multiply the amount of story work in this game by 9" thread, @Knighthonor.4061 comes to regale us with fresh tales to instill fear into the hearts of men (and presumably women).

There is absolutely no reason to start spreading rumors and doomsaying when you clearly have zero idea what direction the developers are taking with their upcoming patch. Becoming unhinged and making a post like this serves zero positive ends.

That said.... quality memes.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:Unfulfilled by his "They should multiply the amount of story work in this game by 9" thread, @Knighthonor.4061 comes to regale us with fresh tales to instill fear into the hearts of men (and presumably women).

There is absolutely no reason to start spreading rumors and doomsaying when you clearly have zero idea what direction the developers are taking with their upcoming patch. Becoming unhinged and making a post like this serves zero positive ends.

That said.... quality memes.

Yeah... I snorted..

?

should damage really get reduced, support classes will become even better. most battles are really quick currently. bam bam dead, you gotta have quick fingers to support anything there, plus enough boonstrips around too.

at present, we are 2 months+ away from the announced "800skill+ update", so we have no idea in which direction this balancing will go finally.

@Fish.2769 said:

numbers
lack

especially
too much

Right. Isn't that what I said...?

I'm confused as to the intent of your post...is it meant to add to the point or is it meant to correct some incorrect information? I'm really not sure because reading through your post it just looks like you're saying almost exactly what my post just said, just rephrased.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just genuinely confused as to what you were trying to convey here that is somehow different to what I said.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:Firebrand was a mistake.

You misspelled scourge.

Firebrand has got a far larger impact on the game mode than scourge. Guardian overall has a far larger impact. They are the sole reason for the decline of the game mode and stale meta. They stop entire classes from entering WvW due to rendering them ineffective. They also prop up other classes to be effective who otherwise wouldn't be effective without their presence (our friend the Scourge as an example).

The worst thing Anet ever did was introduce Firebrand to the game. The second worst thing they did (and are still doing), is not gutting the Guardian class as a whole. People would be surprised just how much the game mode would change in their absence and expose just how bad some players really are and how they've been carried.

If there is any actual support nerf, they all need to be focused on the guardian class.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

numbers
lack

especially
too much

Right. Isn't that what I said...?

I'm confused as to the intent of your post...is it meant to add to the point or is it meant to correct some incorrect information? I'm really not sure because reading through your post it just looks like you're saying almost exactly what my post just said, just rephrased.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just genuinely confused as to what you were trying to convey here that is somehow different to what I said.

What you highlighted is agreeing with what you said and also said differently, i never noticed until you pointed it out though... Sorry!

The rest of it was a correction about what you said about healing etc...