Mac Client Crashing After Lunar Year Update — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Mac Client Crashing After Lunar Year Update

After the Lunar update, I was doing events in Mount Maelstrom, (staff daredevil, if it matters), and I noticed that my game started hard crashing whenever my game experienced FPS lag, whether it be from dismounting, or going into combat and having a dps higher than 1k. I experienced 6 crashes in 10 minutes, which seemed to mainly appear when I gained a large amount of particles at one time (such as damage shown, legendary footprints, attack visual effects, etc). I am not sure what the exact cause is for this crash, though it is making the game unplayable.

<1

Comments

  • Same-just downloaded update and game crashed multiple times after only a minute. tested on multiple accounts

  • I'm having the same problem as well. My client was crashing extensively like this when the wintersday patch happened, but turning my settings to the lowest setting allowed the game to still be playable. With the lunar new year patch, my settings are all as low as possible and i can barely go more that 30 seconds before the client crashes. It's unplayable and very frustrating.

  • Ditto (Same as above for me)

  • Lasiurus.4067Lasiurus.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Same. Unplayable, crash every minute

  • Also having the same problem.

  • Ditto. Same problem here. Hope Anet is looking into this issue. Can't get more than 10 seconds into the game.

  • Also having the same issue. Very frustrating. Please fix. Thank you.

  • Hello, I'm experiencing the same issues. Constant crashes don't matter where I'm at.

  • Glaswen.7926Glaswen.7926 Member ✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020

    Same. The game is unplayable and CTDs with the same error message every time I log in. I cannot do anything. This is beyond frustrating.
    If the devs have the Mac client to the game, they should test it before the patches as well... not just the Windows one

  • Aru.4156Aru.4156 Member ✭✭

    Agreed. Crashing in Divinity's was understandable due to high player traffic, but crashing repeatedly in Brisban Wildlands and the Grove was wild. In the Grove, I was simply jumping down from one level to another or trying to preview the black lion chest and my game crashed repeatedly. About 5-6 times in 10 minutes. Afterwards, in Brisban, it crashed with almost any Holosmith weapon skill (especially HoloForge) and the same thing with Scrapper skill 2. Led to some giggles between my friend and I but the game was unplayable. Probably crashed a total of 12 times within 20 minutes. Battle was impossible and even running up a rock is impossible. Please fix this!!

  • Still crashing, going on 8 hours, all of the issues listed above by others. Please dont neglect your MAC users. We're people too.

  • Ariel Faye.1092Ariel Faye.1092 Member ✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020

    Crashing very consistently, They had better do our dailies and the LNY event quests for us. This is absurd, over 45 Crash logs sent and still more going until this is resolved. Maybe you should roll back the events/patch until its fixed.!

  • Aran.9374Aran.9374 Member ✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020

    Crashing non-stop. This is shabby as &^%$%. C'mon Anet, really?

  • Me too (MAC), game is unplayable - literally.

  • I may be able to reproduce a crash I've been having since the update today:

    Every time I use the Earthshaker mining tool twice in a row in Salma it crashes the second time.

    (Note that it crashes a lot - this one seems to be reproducible though.)

  • Same, keeps crashing

  • Anslord.5427Anslord.5427 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020

    I posted about six hours ago, and I have a few observations and updates.

    These things automatically cause the client to crash: using a weapon with footstep effects or heavy swing effects, using farming tools with animation effects, mounting or dismounting, engaging in combat of any type, and heavy user traffic areas.

    These things usually cause the client to crash, but not always: Mesmer portals, dodge skills, crafting, regular farming skills, viewing another character on screen with any of the above (mounting, farming tools, weapon animations, others in combat, etc...), large npc presence, using waypoints.

    As you could probably see, that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything, and I have crashed 5 seconds into the game at the earliest and 5 minutes at the latest. Please work to fix this quickly, I cannot do anything in-game in the meantime.

  • Wvw and PVE both crash in less than a minute. I also noticed that my settings were automatically (not my doing) set to the very lowest settings on both my accounts making the game blurry AND still crashes. I tried to repair the game client but guess what happened....it crashed 😕
    iMac 10.15.2

  • @Anslord.5427 said:
    I posted about six hours ago, and I have a few observations and updates.

    These things automatically cause the client to crash: using a weapon with footstep effects or heavy swing effects, using farming tools with animation effects, mounting or dismounting, engaging in combat of any type, and heavy user traffic areas.

    These things usually cause the client to crash, but not always: Mesmer portals, dodge skills, crafting, regular farming skills, viewing another character on screen with any of the above (mounting, farming tools, weapon animations, others in combat, etc...), large npc presence, using waypoints.

    As you could probably see, that doesn't leave a lot of room for anything, and I have crashed 5 seconds into the game at the earliest and 5 minutes at the latest. Please work to fix this quickly, I cannot do anything in-game in the meantime.

    I have also noticed this same behavior often viewing Necro Reapers, or using any of my Necro abilities. Particularly bad in any combat though watching someone in combat also causes crashes. In particular Necro skill Frozen Abyss, in Caledon Forest underwater. Any combat in Dry Top is very harsh. As well as the LNY event area absolute crash guarantee. Crashes in WVW given any combat. Sent in 90 logs so far lol. I WILL get my dailies done as well as the cursed LNY events...

  • Multiple crashes in Bjoran marshes by a cave entrance. According to the dump, it took 13 seconds, but it wasn't even that long. I didn't do anything or even move, though at least once someone else was within my sight.

  • Consistently and repeatedly crashes in Dry Top and Bitterfrost Frontier during the Sandstorm/Snowstorm... On loading the map..

  • Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

    @Glaswen.7926 said:
    because of this all the Mac users will miss out on a lot of content including LNY, which is partly timegated. Would be nice to get some sort of compensation for this clown fiesta!

    It would be nice if they gave us some kind of compensation or provided with Parallels Desktop ;) . The game is unplayable on Mac.


    I experience the same issues as others: game randomly crashes on loading the map, around other players, when trying to use skills, and so on.

  • No sense commenting, all has been repeated no new information, DITTO on the Crashing on the Mac after the LNY build.

  • Mine has been crashing all night . . . can't even chop down a tree . . . What good is this game if I can't play it? Mac I getting no love from A-net. I feel like I'm back dealing with Blizzard.

  • same here. constant crashes. doesn't matter where I'm at. longest I was able to play was by going to a guild hall where I was solo. even there it crashed after about 10 minutes. in any instance involving combat I had immediate crashes. visiting cities or non combat areas also resulted in hard crashes. I must have sent 50+ crash reports to ArenaNet today. looking at error logs, it appears the crashes are caused by "missing files". these files are sometimes "emotes" and sometimes "objects" while other times it seems to do with "shader" errors of being too small. I believe these three items are cause of the problem and perhaps a few files were not included in the new patch or perhaps a directory was inadvertently moved causing file linking to break (I have basic coding skills from years ago). hope this helps and look forward to a patch to solve these issues.

  • @Ol Nik.2518 said:
    It would be nice if they gave us some kind of compensation or provided with Parallels Desktop ;) . The game is unplayable on Mac.

    I suspect that Parallels wouldn't work in every case because the resources would be still divided between 2 OSes launched at once ;-) and if they can't make the game playable on Mac or keep maintaining its client on same level as the Windows one, they shouldn't introduce the Mac client in the first place.

  • Ditto (Mac user). Even worst : in PvP. Not fun at all for my team.

  • Correction. I reset game to best performance and it changed it to all low settings. Game still crashes.

    @sweetheart.7954 said:
    Wvw and PVE both crash in less than a minute. I also noticed that my settings were automatically (not my doing) set to the very lowest settings on both my accounts making the game blurry AND still crashes. I tried to repair the game client but guess what happened....it crashed 😕
    iMac 10.15.2

  • Mia.8695Mia.8695 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020

    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94315/mac-crashes-in-divinitys-reach-since-wintersday/p2

    Appears to be renewed issue from this. PG 2 has dev response.>
    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:

    I've got some good news for you! I just got an update from James: He found some solutions today and we are currently working on getting a hotfix to you ASAP. I'll have another update for you tomorrow. We know this is frustrating, so thank you all for being as patient as you can and for contributing so much information.
    (15th Jan 11.43am +8GMT) https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1136483#Comment_1136483

  • SailorNoob.9342SailorNoob.9342 Member
    edited January 15, 2020

    Bittersweet. Thought it was just me but sad to see other players having the same issues.

  • @Mia.8695 said:
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94315/mac-crashes-in-divinitys-reach-since-wintersday/p2

    Appears to be renewed issue from this. PG 2 has dev response.>
    @Fire Attunement.9835 said:

    I've got some good news for you! I just got an update from James: He found some solutions today and we are currently working on getting a hotfix to you ASAP. I'll have another update for you tomorrow. We know this is frustrating, so thank you all for being as patient as you can and for contributing so much information.
    (15th Jan 11.43am +8GMT) https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1136483#Comment_1136483

    sounds awesome. same thing happening here. It's so sad. I crash on any character, in DR or not. I can't even just do my dailies. (MAC)

  • hyperboria.2136hyperboria.2136 Member
    edited January 15, 2020

    @SailorNoob.9342 said:
    Bittersweet. Thought it was just me but sad to see other players having the same issues.

    if it could be only you, there would not hope anymore to fix from devs, so be happy that it is mass trouble

  • Any update or status yet? Did it magically fix itself?

  • @Sunclips.3495 said:
    Any update or status yet? Did it magically fix itself?

    On my end I'm still experiencing nearly immediate crashes, so I don't think so.

  • I am having a similar problem but im on Windows. I can't even get into the game. it crashes immediately during the patch download phase. can't even log in without crashing.

  • Aran.9374Aran.9374 Member ✭✭

    This is the Year of the Dirty Rat.

  • Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

    It's been over 24 hours and no fix. It would be nice of ArenaNet to roll back. Alternatively, they could give all Mac users automatic completion of all festival dailies in those days that the game is unplayable.

  • Crashes still occurring, no more than 30 seconds into the game and often just in the map loading screen.

  • game still crashing shortly after opening. Responses from ANET so far have been to minimize graphics settings to lowest (that has had zero effect- still crashing) and to delete a "local.dat" file found in Library>applications support. (OS 10.11 doesn't have this file and it was unhelpful)

  • Just adding to the chain - ANY character i try to play experiences game crash within the first 10 seconds after area loads.