Please fix the Griffon Dive!

The griffon movement is as sloppy as it gets.

Sometimes, when you let go of the dive key, the griffon flies normally again. But often, it continues to descent and I have trouble stopping it in time (by hitting the ascend/backwards key) before it hits the ground. This is especially unnerving during those griffon run achievements.

Please fix!

the nr 1 'dismount' option is VERY bad, and doesnt allow 'third level' speed. I hate that you have to do, but everyone (including dulfy) kept saying you must bind 'skill 1 and 2' in different keys. 1 = Dismount, apart from that it doenstt dismount you, also charges down, but is not bugged, and allows for third level speed. I recommend you do that.

Great, so everytime I do one of these "fun" adventure achievements, I need to rebind my keys because I have no keys left and need them for more vital stuff?

Great! Well done, ANet. I am now officially hating this stupid owl griffon. I constantly keep landing and thus have to restart, because the game won't react to me pressing the flap and the ability no.2 keys.

Also, why does the Action Cam not work while mounted?? This is one of the few times where that feature actually would make sense!

Edit: The controls are suboptimal, to say the least. My best time so far has been 30.36 seconds at the Crystal Oasis (Temple of Kormir) run.

Edit 2: I have figured out now what the issue is: the kitten scoreboard blocks initial navigation, making it impossible to use the right mouse button (for camera angle) properly at start.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I figured it out now. Space bar while using descent key = super speed.

Edit: Okay, that's it for me. Stuck at the second Griffon Run in Crystal Oasis and fed up with it. This must be the most infuriating content I have encountered in GW2. No more kitten griffon runs for me.

Not everyone can do everything, maybe this is where your limitations prevent you from progressing further.

Yep, this is a classic case of misunderstanding the griffons mechanics.

Use the default dive (v), not the dismount action (normally 1). Then to get a burst of speed wing beat (space) while in dive (v). To come out of a dive just stop holding (v), To ascend press (s).

As to the frustration with the courses, trust me i get that more than anyone. The timers are pretty tight but once you get used to the controls it becomes a lot easier and much more manageable as it becomes muscle memory.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Great, so everytime I do one of these "fun" adventure achievements, I need to rebind my keys because I have no keys left and need them for more vital stuff?

No. You do not have to rebind your keys. The griffon skills do not monopolize key bindings. The (v) dive skill is the same keybind as dodge. If you don't have dodge bound, the griffon is the least of your worries. The (s) key is just your move back, however this function is disabled if you disable Conditional Mount Movement Ability in options. If you do this, you will need to bind mount skill 2 to a key.

However! It still doesn't monopolize a keybind if you bind it to a function that doesn't work while mounted. For example I have mount ability 2 bound to the same key as my weapon skill 5. There's no conflict, because I can't use weapon 5 while mounted, and I can't use mount skill 2 while dismounted.

@Forere.2875 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I figured it out now. Space bar while using descent key = super speed.

No wonder I couldn't get less than 30.1 seconds in Kormir Temple run.Did I miss this tooltip or is it something they wanted you to discover yourself?

I believe they explained this in last week's Guild Chat, but I found it too boring to watch the whole thing, so I missed that part. Instead, I asked someone on my friends list whose time I could see (22 secs) on the scoreboard, and they explained this too me.

You have to bind the mount abilities 1+2 to convenient keys/mousebuttons, and then, of course, hit the spacebar at the right moment. However, that little trick didn't help me to reach the last checkpoint of the second Crystal Oasis run, which is truly difficult to reach with these weird controls (especially the camera control during steep curves) -- so I decided to not try that one anymore. I might look into the rest of them, though, but if they are all like that I'll pass.

@Aer.3970 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Great, so everytime I do one of these "fun" adventure achievements, I need to rebind my keys because I have no keys left and need them for more vital stuff?

No. You do not have to rebind your keys.

Yes, I already got that part yesterday, thank you. ;) I noticed that the keys/buttons could be vound twice, for normal play and for whilst mounted. What confused me at first was the fact that the game spit out a warning that said keys/buttons were already bound.

@Llethander.3972 said:Step 1: Climb to an appropriately high point for the best starting altitude.

Very funny. I'm sure you can tell me how to reach an "appropriate" height before the pyramid when there is basically no room vertically?

@Llethander.3972 said:To answer the OP's question:

Step 1: Climb to an appropriately high point for the best starting altitude.Step 2: Juuuuump!Step 3: Use either the Attack skill (Warning: this can cause the Gryphon t-pose bug) or the Mount Ability 1 to initiate a dive.Step 4: (Optional) Use the Wing Flap (Spacebar) during your dive to gain additional speed. (Note: If you decide not to Wing Flap you must gain an adequate amount of speed prior to attempting Step 5 or you will be unable to regain altitude.)Step 5: Use either the Move Backwards button (Warning: if not released early enough you can actually kill all forward momentum and begin a slow descent) or Mount Ability 2 to ascend until your momentum runs out.

Note: If you decide not to ascend to your starting altitude you can, if done correctly, regain a decent portion of lost altitude whilst also retaining a notable flight speed boost.

As much as I like this mount, I'm also annoyed by the clunky control.No matter if I use the attack or 'Mount ability 1' keybind, that stupid thing keeps nosediving seemingly randomly after key release. Some visual indicators or other clues to the multiple movement states + timings would be pretty helpful.

@Forere.2875 said:

No wonder I couldn't get less than 30.1 seconds in Kormir Temple run.Did I miss this tooltip or is it something they wanted you to discover yourself?

While not super clear, it is mentioned in the description of the final mastery: Master the griffon by learning to use its Wing Flap ability, which allows you to gain a burst of speed while diving or climbing into the sky.

"Wing flap ability" meaning your jump key (since it makes you flap your wings). The problem is they word it like it's a new ability (which I guess technically it is), but they don't point out how you are supposed to execute this wing flap (again, it assumes you think "spacebar = flap wings, so surely I can do that in the middle of diving").

@Llethander.3972 said:While not super clear, it is mentioned in the description of the final mastery: Master the griffon by learning to use its Wing Flap ability, which allows you to gain a burst of speed while diving or climbing into the sky.

"Wing flap ability" meaning your jump key (since it makes you flap your wings). The problem is they word it like it's a new ability (which I guess technically it is), but they don't point out how you are supposed to execute this wing flap (again, it assumes you think "spacebar = flap wings, so surely I can do that in the middle of diving").

As you stated yourself, that is not a clear explanation at all. "Wing flap" to me must be a visible flap of the wings (so I frantically tried to flap the wings after releasing the assigned dive button).

However, when you are using the spacebar correctly during a dive to achieve said speed boost, the griffon does not flap its wings, it just gets a yellow aura indicating the superspeed boost. Had I not have said friend explain this to me, I would have never figured it out on my own. To me, that's a big fail on ANet's side, along with the clunky controls and the inability to activate the action cam for use with your griffon.

Archived