Can't Download Guildwars Game

I've been trying to download Guildwars 2 for 3 days to a new computer. The download speed has been horrible; pausing at times at zero bytes per second. I did a speed test of my internet connection to my ISP and got a steady d/l speed of 250 Mbps.

I went to the Guildwars 2 home and started the download by using the download now button on https://www.guildwars2.com/en/.

Help...

@"Glass Hand.7306" said:I've been trying to download Guildwars 2 for 3 days to a new computer. The download speed has been horrible; pausing at times at zero bytes per second. I did a speed test of my internet connection to my ISP and got a steady d/l speed of 250 Mbps.

I went to the Guildwars 2 home and started the download by using the download now button on https://www.guildwars2.com/en/.

Help...

Did you figure out how to get this issue resolved? I'm having problems as well...this is frustrating

I recently bought a new laptop, and as I was setting it up today I encountered this same issue:

The mbit/sec rate varied wildly and eventually the progress grinded to a halt, albeit at 91%. Not only did it take 5 hours to get there, but then it got stuck at 43.100 files left to download. Then it basically would start downloading small packets around 300 MB, then completely stop for so long only the %-done indicator was left showing.

I tried swapping the language to german, which is supposed to kickstart the download however I encountered the same issue there minutes later - but now it said 71,265 files left to download. Just for investigative purposes I decided to leave it downloading about 12 GB in this stuttered manner, and it still showed 71,265 files left to download in the end (and 91% still).

This is how I fixed it:Naturally this might not work for you, but I reached this conclusion through logical reasoning. Since my pc was right out of the box, I knew there were still hardware drivers and windows software updates pending installment, several of which handle your port accessibility.

So I basically did this (since windows update now pretty much cover most of your hardware driver needs):

1. Go to Windows Update (press the windows button, then the "settings" cog next to it and click the category for "Updates and Security").
  2. Press "Look for updates"
  3. Download and install all pending updates and restart your pc at the end if prompted

Basically you need to keep your windows operating system up to date, which I know some opt out of by choice. I then removed the game completely from my pc, and grabbed a new download link from the anet site. The difference was immideate - not only is the download speed at a steady maximum, but this time around it downloads way faster and the file remaining is synced with the amount downloaded.

Give it a go :)

Edit: New pc's halt windows updates for 7 days in order to allow new users to jump right in, that's why this has to be done manually before that

@Glass Hand.7306@Accensa.8361@XilentRez.6038@Skyr.4785

I have something weirder going on.

When I try to reinstall the game, it says it is downloading and it shows the amount of MB downloaded, but the file's remaining gets stuck at 33,151. And even though it shows that it is still downloading, it never cracks that number of 33,151.

I've sat and let the bar completely finish the download all the way to end, but when I restart the client it starts back over at 0% with 33,151 files to download, but none of them ever touch the computer.

The strangest part about this, is that before this happened, it had downloaded maybe about 50% of the game file first, which stuck on the PC, and THEN it started doing this with those remaining 33.151 files. It shows and says they are being downloaded, acts like they finish from the bar under, but they never touch the PC somehow.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:I have something weirder going on.

When I try to reinstall the game, it says it is downloading and it shows the amount of MB downloaded, but the file's remaining gets stuck at 33,151. And even though it shows that it is still downloading, it never cracks that number of 33,151.

I've sat and let the bar completely finish the download all the way to end, but when I restart the client it starts back over at 0% with 33,151 files to download, but none of them ever touch the computer.

The strangest part about this, is that before this happened, it had downloaded maybe about 50% of the game file first, which stuck on the PC, and THEN it started doing this with those remaining 33.151 files. It shows and says they are being downloaded, acts like they finish from the bar under, but they never touch the PC somehow.

are you from EU? for me switching asset server to NA worked to fix problem this exact issue that you have,use command line argument either by adding it to shortcutread this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#Usageright click in your shortcut then chose properties and in your target add -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 or -assetsrv 54.84.216.160so it will be like this for example "(your path here)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 (note the space before -)after you download whole thing you can get rid of it

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in my guild chat the other day. There are lots of people who are having similar experiences downloading the game.

The must be losing a lot of potential new players with this issue. I cannot see how anyone can start playing GW2 unless they know somebody who can give them a working .dat file.

@"Glass Hand.7306" said:I cannot see how anyone can start playing GW2 unless they know somebody who can give them a working .dat file.

You don't need someone else's file, you need to use "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" to force it to download from the main server. The problem is with the CDN servers - some have incomplete caches / corrupted files.

It is surprising that they haven't said anything after a month, and considering they haven't simply purged the cache, they're either unaware or it's an even bigger problem. If they do nothing, this problem will persist for another month (the cache will eventually expire), but it could also happen again.

@Healix.5819 said:

@"Glass Hand.7306" said:I cannot see how anyone can start playing GW2 unless they know somebody who can give them a working .dat file.

You don't need someone else's file, you need to use "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" to force it to download from the main server. The problem is with the CDN servers - some have incomplete caches / corrupted files.

If you are a player new to Guildwars 2 it is very unlikely that you will be able to find this information. My statement stands that GW2 is likely losing a large number of potential new players.

@Ordin.8341 said:

are you from EU? for me switching asset server to NA worked to fix problem this exact issue that you have,use command line argument either by adding it to shortcut
read this
right click in your shortcut then chose properties and in your target add -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 or -assetsrv 54.84.216.160so it will be like this for example "(your path here)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 (note the space before -)after you download whole thing you can get rid of it

Thanks. This command:

-assetsrv 52.202.5.88

worked for me. Finally getting the last 50k files to download. :)

@Ordin.8341 said:

are you from EU? for me switching asset server to NA worked to fix problem this exact issue that you have,use command line argument either by adding it to shortcut
read this
right click in your shortcut then chose properties and in your target add -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 or -assetsrv 54.84.216.160so it will be like this for example "(your path here)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -assetsrv 52.202.5.88 (note the space before -)after you download whole thing you can get rid of it

It worked for me :3 , thanks pal!! B)

@Ordin.8341 said:

read this

Thank you so much! I had the same issue and this fixed it for me - finally the number of files has moved past 219,812!

@Healix.5819 said:

It is surprising that they haven't said anything after a month, and considering they haven't simply purged the cache, they're either unaware or it's an even bigger problem. If they do nothing, this problem will persist for another month (the cache will eventually expire), but it could also happen again.

Thanks for this as well! Finally past 246,986 files after 7 hours of waiting. The fixed IP solution just threw back connection errors.

• 1 month later...

I am having this issue as well - the latest patch has downloaded partially and now I'm at 1056 files remaining. Nothing suggested above has worked and while before the game was playable at least after trying the repair function I cannot even play it anymore.Only restarting the launcher sometimes makes the file count go down, but I don't think I can do that 1000 times.

Help?

My game only downloads until "Playable"; after that, it just stops. Sometimes that "Playable" is at 0% and I can play right away, sometimes it's at 5%.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall the game and see what happens. The "Playable" is not at 100% like I wanted or hoped it would be, but it's not at 5% either. In any case, I just want it to fully download, even past the "Playable" point.