Next elite spec

Ghetx.1752

A vampire elite is fun to imagine but what functional gap are you aiming to fill with it? Is this a Transfusion e-spec?

Necromancer has Transfusion, Life from Death or Vampiric Presence, and Ritual of life in that sadness trait line.

Do you mean to delete Blood Magic to get a better group heal spec in competition with Druid?

• 5 weeks later...

I’d love to have a shortbow/longbow with a ghostly theme

Instead of a shroud with have 3 spirits, something similar to tomes, instead of giving us a new skill bar for each , each spirit enhances the bows skill (but only one spirit can be activated at a time)For example: one spirit could increase our movement speed as well as skill Cooldown on the bow and super speed every 3secs for 2 secs ( this is just a daft example of how there could work)

Not thought about much else haha mainly interested in a bow :p

If the next elite spec is a vampiric inspired elite spec the weapon it should get is Sword or a bow. Not a shield. This is my opinion at least. Shield should be saved for a minion spec since Necromancer would need the utility while on a vampire set you would more likely need something to diversify your bleeding.

Sword is my pick personally because the necromancer doesn't have a good hybrid or condi melee weapon. It can exist along side Scourge as a condi focused spec because even if they fill similar roles I think the point in difference these should have is play style and defensive style.

Technically if we want to get down to it, Condi engineer and condi holosmith fill the exact same niche and do exist along side with each other and their similarities are much greater than a condi scourge and a hypothetical condi vampire spec would fill.

As long as they do somethings unique from each other even if they fill some of the same roles its honestly fine. Players will have their preferences. I'd probably still prefer scourge as in my opinion the vampire spec should be a shroud spec. Which just doesn't gel with me as well as the shroudless specs.

But it still could be fun to rend flesh with a blood shroud that claws people to death with a bleed auto as opposed to hitting with a scythe or in the backline with a scepter.

A minion elite spec however shouldn't have a shroud. It should have 5 life force skills like scourge that summon a minion for its skill one and use its other f skills to command them in some way. A shield just works better for this since like scourge much of your focus is on the f skills so the shield can provide needed utility for the necromancer who'll likely be lacking defensive abilities. The vampire spec wouldn't be with life stealing and parasitic contagion as well as an active shroud like reaper.

Why I say bow? Well the idea of a skill called "rain of gore" sounds metal as heck to me.

Well as for wishes: Necro should get a elite that embraces the whole theme. Something realy dark, not devil/hell dark, but the anciet gaelic dark, more going to morgane or pan for that matter, when this spec approaches, you can feel the air become thin, the mist brings death and chaos, and the eyes staring right through your soul feeding on the victims essence, darker magic,

While I'd love it if the next e-spec was more mobile and reactive, I'd say that I'm rather pessimist and that the probabilities that it might happen are rather thin.

Instead I'd bet on a more possible minion master e-spec with a true in built mechanism generating minions.

I base myself on the highly arguable argument that reaper is built on the thematic of the transformation in a messenger of death just like lich form and that scourge is built on the thematic of the walking plague just like the old elite plague now plagueland. This leave us with our big dumb Golem and thus the thematic of the minion's summoner.

It could be expressed throught quite a few variations:

• A transformation with shroud skills spawning specific minions on use.
  • Something more "scourge like" with F skills spawning minions on use (maybe minions close in design with ranger's nature spirits).
  • A transformation with a minor trait spawning an horror every 3 seconds while in shroud (with a hard cap at 5 minions that can be raised throught a major trait).
  • The shroud being replaced by a single minion that you can summon/unsummon via F1 and control via F2-F5.
  • The shroud no longer protecting your health bar but spawning a minion whose life is your life force and controled through a weapon kit that you get when using the shroud.
  • The spec replacing every 3rd skill of the necromancer's weapon skillsets by a skill spaning one or a few minions.
  • ... etc.

The more I think about it, the easier and the more fitting it seem. A simple e-spec that rely on minions and would mostly be used in PvE due to the very low impact of minions in sPvP/WvW.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:While I'd love it if the next e-spec was more mobile and reactive, I'd say that I'm rather pessimist and that the probabilities that it might happen are rather thin.

Instead I'd bet on a more possible minion master e-spec with a true in built mechanism generating minions.

I base myself on the highly arguable argument that reaper is built on the thematic of the transformation in a messenger of death just like lich form and that scourge is built on the thematic of the walking plague just like the old elite plague now plagueland. This leave us with our big dumb Golem and thus the thematic of the minion's summoner.

It could be expressed throught quite a few variations:

• A transformation with shroud skills spawning specific minions on use.
  • Something more "scourge like" with F skills spawning minions on use (maybe minions close in design with ranger's nature spirits).
  • A transformation with a minor trait spawning an horror every 3 seconds while in shroud (with a hard cap at 5 minions that can be raised throught a major trait).
  • The shroud being replaced by a single minion that you can summon/unsummon via F1 and control via F2-F5.
  • The shroud no longer protecting your health bar but spawning a minion whose life is your life force and controled through a weapon kit that you get when using the shroud.
  • The spec replacing every 3rd skill of the necromancer's weapon skillsets by a skill spaning one or a few minions.
  • ... etc.

The more I think about it, the easier and the more fitting it seem. A simple e-spec that rely on minions and would mostly be used in PvE due to the very low impact of minions in sPvP/WvW.

Your premise that Reaper kinda represents Lich and Scourge shows thematical overlap with Plague is really interesting and made me reflect some other classes as well.I would like if they really would follow this line of thought for the next set of elite specs, it would actually work with some.

Engineer: Supply Crate - Scrapper (stunning and creating fields through the turrets)Mortar - Holosmith (elite kit and the holosmith basically has another kit as their mechanic)Elixir X - NEW ELITE SPEC (alchemist, probably, someone who focuses on the chemical side of engineering)Ranger: Spirit of Nature - Druid (providing healing to the group and a nature magic thematic)"Strength of the Pack!" - Soulbeast (striking together with your pet)Entangle - NEW ELITE SPEC (maybe use of plants? CC focused?)

@"Kodama.6453" said:Your premise that Reaper kinda represents Lich and Scourge shows thematical overlap with Plague is really interesting and made me reflect some other classes as well.I would like if they really would follow this line of thought for the next set of elite specs, it would actually work with some.

Engineer: Supply Crate - Scrapper (stunning and creating fields through the turrets)Mortar - Holosmith (elite kit and the holosmith basically has another kit as their mechanic)Elixir X - NEW ELITE SPEC (alchemist, probably, someone who focuses on the chemical side of engineering)Ranger: Spirit of Nature - Druid (providing healing to the group and a nature magic thematic)"Strength of the Pack!" - Soulbeast (striking together with your pet)Entangle - NEW ELITE SPEC (maybe use of plants? CC focused?)

It was more or less a convenient excuse to justify my line of thought on the necromancer's e-spec. That said you point out good points for the engineer and the ranger.If the line of thought is correct, then:

Elementalist:

• Tempest is related to Tornado (which is realist)
  • Weaver is related to Glyph (since glyphs adapt their effect based on the attunment, it's a bit of a stretch but...)
  • The next e-spec would then be related to the idea of conjured weapon, maybe something close to holosmith.Mesmer:
  • Chrono is related to Time warp (That one wasn't difficult)
  • Mirage is related to Mass invisibility (I must admit that I have some doubt here)
  • The next e-spec would be related to Moa... I don't have a clue on how they could pull something out of that.

Additionally, I can see daredevil related to Daggerstorm, Firebrand related to "Feel my wrath!" and berserker vaguely related to Rampage. However, the other e-spec don't really match anything. Revenant feel totally out of the logic, thought.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Kodama.6453" said:Your premise that Reaper kinda represents Lich and Scourge shows thematical overlap with Plague is really interesting and made me reflect some other classes as well.I would like if they really would follow this line of thought for the next set of elite specs, it would actually work with some.

It was more or less a convenient excuse to justify my line of thought on the necromancer's e-spec. That said you point out good points for the engineer and the ranger.If the line of thought is correct, then:

Elementalist:
  • Tempest
    is related to
    Tornado
    (which is realist)
  • Weaver
    is related to
    Glyph
    (since glyphs adapt their effect based on the attunment, it's a bit of a stretch but...)
  • The next e-spec would then be related to the idea of conjured weapon, maybe something close to holosmith.
    Mesmer:
  • Chrono
    is related to
    Time warp
    (That one wasn't difficult)
  • Mirage
    is related to
    Mass invisibility
    (I must admit that I have some doubt here)
  • The next e-spec would be related to
    Moa
    ... I don't have a clue on how they could pull something out of that.

Additionally, I can see daredevil related to
Daggerstorm
, Firebrand related to
"Feel my wrath!"
and berserker vaguely related to
Rampage
. However, the other e-spec don't really match anything. Revenant feel totally out of the logic, thought.

The necromancer specifically in terms of its inspirational themes behind its elite specs are based on horror movie tropes. The reaper is the slasher like Jason Voorhees while the Scourge is based on the Mummy.

If we extrapolate this out we see themes they can use such as the witch which has been used a lot in horror and folklore such as sleepy Hallows, Coraline, drag me to hell and so on. We also have the Vampire such as Dracula, Nosferatu and the movie/comic book 30 days of night. Vampires were more popular as horrors in the past, but that shouldn't stop them. There are also horrors dealing with the occult and demonic pacts and possession like the omen and the exorcist. Of course there is also Zombie flicks too like Re-animator and night of the living dead. Then we have hauntings like poltergeist and Stay alive and the ring. Yes those are haunting movies a poltergeist can haunt people instead of houses or objects.

So I think a better prediction of what the next elite spec will be for necromancer is to examine the themes of the next expansion location and see just what horrors could be hidden in the themes. For HOT this didn't work so well since the specs were not connected thematically to the narrative. But for PoF this was the case thematically.

@Lily.1935 said:

Elementalist:
  • Tempest
    is related to
    Tornado
    (which is realist)
  • Weaver
    is related to
    Glyph
    (since glyphs adapt their effect based on the attunment, it's a bit of a stretch but...)
  • The next e-spec would then be related to the idea of conjured weapon, maybe something close to holosmith.
    Mesmer:
  • Chrono
    is related to
    Time warp
  • Mirage
    is related to
    Mass invisibility
    Moa

Daggerstorm
, Firebrand related to
"Feel my wrath!"
Rampage
. However, the other e-spec don't really match anything. Revenant feel totally out of the logic, thought.

The necromancer specifically in terms of its inspirational themes behind its elite specs are based on horror movie tropes. The reaper is the slasher like Jason Voorhees while the Scourge is based on the Mummy.

If we extrapolate this out we see themes they can use such as the witch which has been used a lot in horror and folklore such as sleepy Hallows, Coraline, drag me to hell and so on. We also have the Vampire such as Dracula, Nosferatu and the movie/comic book 30 days of night. Vampires were more popular as horrors in the past, but that shouldn't stop them. There are also horrors dealing with the occult and demonic pacts and possession like the omen and the exorcist. Of course there is also Zombie flicks too like Re-animator and night of the living dead. Then we have hauntings like poltergeist and Stay alive and the ring. Yes those are haunting movies a poltergeist can haunt people instead of houses or objects.

So I think a better prediction of what the next elite spec will be for necromancer is to examine the themes of the next expansion location and see just what horrors could be hidden in the themes. For HOT this didn't work so well since the specs were not connected thematically to the narrative. But for PoF this was the case thematically.

You know, your arguments here don't make my own irrelevant. If anything it just push me to look out for some folklore of a minion's raising monster. Which could be a "vampire" since in some folklore vampires transform their victims into zombies to do their bidding. Vampires being known for being haughty and lazy. It's mainly the modern view of them that give them insane mobility and show them as fighting machines.

I believe that mechanically there is a correlation between original core elite skill and the necromancer's e-specs. Is it wrong to believe this? Maybe. Should we take what ANet's dev tell us as face value? Well, 7 years taught us that they have their way with words.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Elementalist:
  • Tempest
    is related to
    Tornado
    (which is realist)
  • Weaver
    is related to
    Glyph
    Mesmer:
  • Chrono
    is related to
    Time warp
  • Mirage
    is related to
    Mass invisibility
    Moa

Daggerstorm
, Firebrand related to
"Feel my wrath!"
Rampage

You know, your arguments here don't make my own irrelevant. If anything it just push me to look out for some folklore of a minion's raising monster. Which could be a "vampire" since in some folklore vampires transform their victims into zombies to do their bidding. Vampires being known for being haughty and lazy. It's mainly the modern view of them that give them insane mobility and show them as fighting machines.

I believe that mechanically there is a correlation between original core elite skill and the necromancer's e-specs. Is it wrong to believe this? Maybe. Should we take what ANet's dev tell us as face value? Well, 7 years taught us that they have their way with words.

Not trying to argue. I don't agree with the idea since it seems loose at best. And the Lich form is kinda all over the place in its design... Reaper is far more cohesive.

But I'm more interested in gushing about folklore! What are vampire tropes? Do Vampires reanimate the dead? In some cases absolutely. But their identity isn't really tied to it. Witches, shamans, witch doctors are also known for this. It's not a trope that defines them especially in recent days.

Vampires have been known to shapeshift into beasts which is why a shroud works well for them. But as a primary theme of their identity it's not the biggest thing.

Going into the history of Vampire myths and folklore we have famous figures like Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathary who played a part in inspiring the modern identity of the vampire. The stories of revenants and ghouls too. When we look at the early interpretations we see them as powerful and parasitic to the communities they reside in.

People such as Karl Marx actually refer to the Bourgeoisie as vampires as a metaphor. And with Characters like Dracula as some nobility we see the threads of the vampire tropes in place in fiction. Vampires are aristocrats. Rich, parasitic, disconnected. But it doesn't stop there as Demons and satanic ideas also flow into the folklore as if these Aristocrats are forming pacts with demons which curses them. So this idea of association with the anti christ flourishes too.

Now I'm not interested in debating Marx's philosophy at all. Just pointing out his metaphor has resonated in the vampire's image. I don't think he was the first to make that comparison but he sure did help to popularize it.

Vampires have also been used as a metaphor for the aids epidemic too in more modern times as they've been shown to be promiscuous in their behavior. They have both been used in media to support the gay community during this time as the horror was aids and not homosexuality as well as used to attack the gay community comparing gay people to the more parasitic tropes of vampirism as part of the gay panic. I'd say we should keep the sexy part and remove the homophobic part..

Aristocratic, Amoral, parasitic, bloodthirsty, and sexy are really the primary themes of the Vampire. These need to be hit on with their design.

And I'd argue minions don't hit enough of the themes of the vampire to be a real option.

I'd like to see a spec like "The Vessel". A Necromancer that doesn't reanimated but allows the souls or energy of great people to take over temporarily and add in conjured abilities. Think multiple "shrouds" based on warrior, thief, and mage archetypes and matching chosen conjured weapon and shroud increases damage/utility. So you can either specialize in certain archetypes and suggested conjured weapon and use core utilities or constantly switch out for a wide range of abilities and utility (something Necro desperately needs).

Given anets idea to redefine the wheel and how very special most elite specs are thematic wise i highly doubt we will see something like a "vampire" espec.

For what id hope to see is some kinda spec focusing on long range power damage with a spectral rifle / longbow and the offensive support of spirits or "orders". Imagine like orders from the original game as you get special F2-F4 buttons that change your shroud skills and give yourself and allies certain offensive buffs for as long as you are in shroud. These could also come with a downside or lifeforce cost. For utlity skills they could further add on the spirit theme by using the "old" ritualist spirits model. Instead of being normal minions like necro or guardian have or pure passive effects like ranger spirits these could focus more on shorter but very potent effects. Imagine a Healing skill that spawns a spirit that reduces all damage you take by 90% for as long as its alive, forcing your enemy to react and to kill it quickly, or an elite spirit that generates the class resource for every class (in case of mesmers or so it could reduce the cooldown rate of shatters, warrior gain passive free adrenalin, thiefs gain initiative, etc.) These buffs should be so potent that the enemy should be severly at an disadvantage by ignoring them for too long.