Where did the social people go? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Where did the social people go?

Hello! I just came back to the game after being gone for what feels like 30 years. Everywhere i go i see tons of people everywhere but no one ever even utters a word at all. The first thing i do when i enter a zone is say "Hi" and i can count on one hand how many times someone replied. It used to be there would be people chatting /map all the time. I am just wondering what has changed? Maybe people are just not very social in this game anymore, i don't know :D

<1

Comments

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well I guess it depends on the map. Cities are well populated, saying hey or a question get you some answers. Last day someone linked legendary and got 10+ gratz in chat. There is also ton of rpers. About the others maps dunno, I only discuss with other guildies.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• Yeah, Discord wasn't too huge back when i quit playing and i do know that people use it a ton now a days. I will join a guild soon and im sure that will quench my social thirst haha

• Pancakemixx.6894Pancakemixx.6894 Member ✭✭
    edited January 19, 2020

I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .
    " Oh hey where did you get that griffon", " Did you know you need Pof" . "Hey let me show you around" all complete bs. Sometimes i spend an hr or two just watching, also the names are strange. Feels scripted but what do i know.

Also i whispered 20 different people running around no one responded. Made the whole game feel fake , very strange.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

The game is mostly single-player, hence most people don't pay much attention to the chat. Divinity's Reach and Lion's Arch are the two big exceptions, also the newest maps are sought after for the meta events. And don't forget that there is a festival at the moment, so a lot of folk are gathering in Divinity's Reach.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2020

There's plenty of social people, but they're usually in guilds and often using Discord or voice chat instead of the chat box. TINY talks all the time, and we usually hang out in DR by the bank or wherever the events are going on, like right now we're in the Crown Pavilion. If you see us, stop and say hi. http://tinyarmy.org :)

• I ate them I was hungry. I'm sorry. I overslept today and needed a bit extra for breakfast.

• @Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:
    I dunno but most of them act like bots, an the ones that do talk it is all staged by anet/botting i mean come on some of the conversations is a tell tell .
    " Oh hey where did you get that griffon", " Did you know you need Pof" . "Hey let me show you around" all complete bs. Sometimes i spend an hr or two just watching, also the names are strange. Feels scripted but what do i know.

Also i whispered 20 different people running around no one responded. Made the whole game feel fake , very strange.

Wait, so if a person doesn't want to talk to a random stranger who whispered them out of nowhere it means they are acting like a bot? And when people do talk you just think they are scripted conversations? Really?

Yes this game is full of bots, not saying everyone is but they are everywhere in every game mode . Not that hard to spot. An i asked everyone a question not just a random "Oh hey" . Also yes the conversations in /s i seen were scripted you would have to be a fool to not know other wise , they would literally even just be talking to themselves., running into walls ect.

Maybe a Cantha expansion could help this MMORPG after the Eotn stuff they doing..

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

Usually yu will find the more social people in the newest content, aka new episode maps.

This is because PvE players are actually the most sociable players in this game, and usually they will be populating the latest map to help out/grind out the map.
    This is also the main reason why yu find a lack of players every now and then : They just don't like the new map.

This was the case for like, Sandswept Isles and Kourna, where the map metas were straight up "meh" and people just grinded for like a few weeks and left it, going back to Istan instead.

HoT metas however, are always populated with people, and they are quite friendly, shouting over map chat for their various roles and to coordinate the meta.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Mewcifer.5198Mewcifer.5198 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

Wait, so if a person doesn't want to talk to a random stranger who whispered them out of nowhere it means they are acting like a bot? And when people do talk you just think they are scripted conversations? Really?

Yes this game is full of bots, not saying everyone is but they are everywhere in every game mode . Not that hard to spot. An i asked everyone a question not just a random "Oh hey" . Also yes the conversations in /s i seen were scripted you would have to be a fool to not know other wise , they would literally even just be talking to themselves., running into walls ect.

Maybe a Cantha expansion could help this MMORPG after the Eotn stuff they doing..

Do you have any videos of this behavior? Because I have not seen what you are referring to at all.

My list of suggestions for GW2
    Max Masteries | 18.5k AP

• @Dante.1763 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

Yea..So was the point of your post just to request Cantha? cause like..you arent really making points. Just claims. Heres the thing, if you whispered me right now id probably not respond, not because its -you- but because i dont know you.

Man i would love to know where you all get you're Sunshine Glasses from. Hope you all have a great year.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

How would any expansion (let alone Cantha) help the bot situation that you claim is rampant?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Pancakemixx.6894 said:

Yea..So was the point of your post just to request Cantha? cause like..you arent really making points. Just claims. Heres the thing, if you whispered me right now id probably not respond, not because its -you- but because i dont know you.

Man i would love to know where you all get you're Sunshine Glasses from. Hope you all have a great year.

Sure, it's called: we enjoy the game and take breaks when we don't.

I know, I know, a very unheard of approach for some here on the forums.

As far as social interactions:

• the game is 7 years old. Many longterm players are in guilds and keep social interactions to their social groups
    • interactions often happen in major cities or about to start meta maps
    • a LOT, myself included, players are not actively monitoring chat. It happens regularly to me that I miss chat messages, especially if I am on voice or actively doing something
    • the games size map wise has increased a lot. Players decision to enter specific maps is a lot more goal driven versus just hanging out, as it used to be when the game launched. The "hang out" crowd has moved to social hubs, as mentioned earlier
  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

Instead of saying "Hi" in map chat you could start an actual conversation or ask something. Imagine if everyone was spamming "Hi" on map chat, it would be a mess and on some maps where coordination is needed to complete events, it would be detrimental to the game.

• Henry.5713Henry.5713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

Interesting question. I do not remember people ever being too "social" during small events and while doing their own Hearts. I know there may be more and sometimes there is less of it but it has always been on a low level. Everyone always did their own thing on their own as there was no need to group or and everyone had their individual rewards. I took a while to get used to this coming from an MMORPG where everyone always talked on allchat and about pretty much everything. Thus I noticed this difference from the start. You get a bit more "talk" during event chains but that mostly comes down to a few people doing what they think is coordinating tjhe masses and most likely some others complaining.
    Anyways, the majority of socializing happens outside of the public space. Groups, squads, guilds and these days guild discords.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. ~ Robert Heinlein

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

they left, why go social when the game caters for meta players.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've been logging in a little more frequently after taking about a month long break or more from the game. I played the last patch and was pretty heavily disappointed. Now I go back to try to do strike missions and it's like there's nobody there. It honestly feels like there's been a huge disinterest from players for awhile now. When I look at my guild roster I see so many people that haven't logged on in 1-6 months that would usually be on almost every day.

It's felt like the game never truly got its focus back and they're obviously still putting a lot of focus into side projects. The last trailer seemed a little more promising, so hopefully that's a good sign. But it's definitely sad feeling like the game is being slowly abandoned or isn't getting as much attention as it should. It honestly felt like it still had so much potential in store for it but it doesn't really feel like it will ever see it. Maybe by the end of this season it will feel different, but I don't have high hopes anymore. I think it's just going to rapidly start bleeding people who only log on for major patches, play for a week, and then the ones still stuck around will struggle to find as much enjoyment from the game leading them to the same decision.

As far as the social aspect, I literally just spent an hour in Lion's Arch the other day talking and listening to map chat. Didn't even play. So, people still socialize, I just don't think they're getting out and doing the content as much, at least from the new zone. Some of the older ones might still be pretty active like Grothmar and Dragonfall. It's also been bombarded with festivals lately, so the majority of people are in the festival areas.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

@t sakacs.7568 said:
    Hello! I just came back to the game after being gone for what feels like 30 years. Everywhere i go i see tons of people everywhere but no one ever even utters a word at all. The first thing i do when i enter a zone is say "Hi" and i can count on one hand how many times someone replied. It used to be there would be people chatting /map all the time. I am just wondering what has changed? Maybe people are just not very social in this game anymore, i don't know :D

A lot of the "old" map-chat disappeared after A-net introduced the megaservers and removed the servers in PvE. After that, a PvE-map did not belong to a server anymore (so you could not talk anymore with members of your own server in map-chat) but every map is since then only an anonymous "overflow-map".

And I think in the past, when people had private conversations in map chat, a lot of them were not "social", but they just did not understood (or did not care about) the difference between map-chat and whispering (and group-chat etc...).

If you still want to experience a map-chat (and team-chat) that is used for private conversations (more often than it should), go to WvW. ;)

P.S. I still write a "Hi" in chat after I log in. But I never do this in map-chat, only in guild-chat.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• @t sakacs.7568 said:
    Everywhere i go i see tons of people everywhere but no one ever even utters a word at all. The first thing i do when i enter a zone is say "Hi" and i can count on one hand how many times someone replied.

I'm a new player that joined around 2018 - and it was in that state already. People are social only at Lion's Arch, sometimes you'll see conversations at Divinity Reach as well. At other places - very rarely. At best, it will be something asking for help with even, that's about it. I remember that feel like I'm in a word of ghosts - a lot of people are passing by, join events I participate in etc - but nobody talks. Even a simple "good job!" at the end of a fight isn't guaranteed (and if they say it, it feels like sort of obligatory pleasantry anyway, as everybody immediately dashes away).

It really seem like all these people don't enjoy being there, don't dwell in a virtual world. They come to do some job, asap, and then move out. They are not interested in what happens around, aside from that.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the kind of thing the OP is looking for but there's someone running a game of hide and seek with riddles in LA right now (on EU). They're putting hints in map chat and if you come and find them where they're hiding you get a prize. :)

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• I personally would not respond to a "hi" in mapchat. I'm good for social interaction, but it has to have some purpose. It also happens that someone is pushing from social interaction to playing together (while I likely allready have some kind of agenda when I'm on a map as I have my own goals in game).
    So maybe the kind of social interaction is the issue here. Be more open about what you want and what you would like to chat about and you could get a response from me (if I would be on that map)

• Chichimec.9364Chichimec.9364 Member ✭✭✭

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

...People are social only at Lion's Arch, sometimes you'll see conversations at Divinity Reach as well. At other places - very rarely. At best, it will be something asking for help with even, that's about it. I remember that feel like I'm in a word of ghosts - a lot of people are passing by, join events I participate in etc - but nobody talks. Even a simple "good job!" at the end of a fight isn't guaranteed (and if they say it, it feels like sort of obligatory pleasantry anyway, as everybody immediately dashes away).

It really seem like all these people don't enjoy being there, don't dwell in a virtual world. They come to do some job, asap, and then move out. They are not interested in what happens around, aside from that.

Can't speak for anyone besides myself but I don't use map chat as a place for social conversations. For one thing, I'm often on maps where you are attacked if you stand still too long. I suspect that's why folks go to LA and DR for conversations. For another thing, extended conversations in map chat among a few players can hamper things when events on a map require any kind of coordination. For me, if I wanted to chat while gaming I'd join a sociable guild and use Discord.

Keep in mind that there are other ways to be social than chatting ingame. While doing Dailies, I'll throw up a mentor tag at a relevant event, announce it in map chat, give the nearest waypoint, and then announce in chat when the event is over. If I see a downed player anywhere near me while traveling around a map, I'll detour to rez the player. If someone asks for help in chat, I will respond if I can help and if I'm not in the middle of a fight. As for enjoyment, I'm usually on a map to do something specific that I enjoy and want to do, not to chat with random strangers. That's just me though. Other folks play other ways and that's fine.

• HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭✭

Best strategy to start a chat: Ask something. Preferably related to the map you are on, or just basic stuff. When you are a returner, you will stumble upon confusing things all the time. You can spend your time searching the wiki or using goolgle and watch videos, or you can interact with us.

I know some veterans get easily annoyed when people ask simple stuff in map-chat, but responding "just google/wiki it" is about as helpful as saying nothing. Same goes for advising people to go to metabattle.com when they have questions about their classes or builds. If you play the class, you can easily give the answer. In the end, you are the ones complaining the loudest when things go sideways. You know that the majority of players who visit that page look up the traits & gear and leave. A short percentage reads the rotation-part and a handful of people checks the additional links.

Cities work well, but some are higher populated than others. Divinity's Reach (human city) is highly populated all the time, Lion's Arch as well. Both are great for all kinds of discussions. Rata Sum (asura city) has a very efficient architecture, crafting stations, Trading Portal, Banks and vendors are nicely connected to each other. It is a good place to talk about crafting and money-making. It is also a good place to get entrance to a free Home Instance farm. Grove (sylvari city) is similar, but more silent. If you have connection issues, that city might be a good option to park your characters and log them out.

If you are looking for populated maps, check the dailies. Especially Daily-Events and the Living World Season 3 & Season 4 maps which are on the daily rotations. Chat might be a little boring, as it mostly is about getting the dailies done. But you can also ask about content-stuff there or make some discussions about random things. Most daily tasks are not really difficult, so people welcome some diversity.

When Festivals are up, check the participating maps. Tagging along the worldboss-train (go to the map of the current/next worldboss and wait at the grouping spot) also leads to interesting discussions. In most cases, people wait a few minutes until the thing spawns. Not many people do the pre-events. It is often just a zerg waiting at the spawn-point.

Last but not least, the starter maps (level 1-15). Queensdale (human) is highly populated, but the other maps are also fine.

Those methods of finding people and populated maps also work quite well to find guilds. Especially the worldbosses are a great opportunity to collect all kinds of guild-advertisements from the mapchat.

• Cyanchiv.2583Cyanchiv.2583 Member ✭✭✭

For me I find I don't read the chat very often. I'm either on a voice chat when I'm playing, which is most of the time I'm playing, or I'm likely focused on a specific task. Still when I notice the chat I'll typically try to respond if I have something positive to offer.

• Thanks everyone for your replies!

• When in earlier maps it is also maybe, that there are quite some freetoplay players who try out the game. They can only use the say channel, not the map one And many people are introvert at first hand, scared to ask something. I had the same thing in the past. What i do miss from gw 1 is there where always talkative people in the cities, at certain spots. A fellowship of well known sociable people. Like the xunlay chest location in post ascalon or Lions arch 1.0. Only area where i tend to switch of the map chat is queensdale from time to time. There can be quite annoying conversations at certain times. Best times from my experience are in the weekend.

• @Dawdler.8521 said:
    The veterans of this game are literally 8 years older than they where around launch. Thats a 12 year old now being 20 year old. Or a 30 year old now having one foot in the grave. Its no longer the new and exiting entrance into a fantasy world it once was - people just dont respond to "hellos" anymore, its just idle banter. But if you ask a question or make a request, I often see people answering. Its just that GW2 is well adjusted for people to do their thing with no words. See a tag? Check it out, prolly an event or boss. Do it, move on. No words needed. Simple.

Further tools like Discord have moved some of it outside the game.

How is 38 foot in the grave? Ouch! Once I pull myself out of this six foot hole you put me in I'll get back to answering questions in game for the newbies. Seriously though, I see in game chatter randomly still and I actively join in. Sometimes maps are dead. Thankfully the megaserver keeps enough people together that I really don't see what the OP is seeing.

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Super Hayes.6890 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    The veterans of this game are literally 8 years older than they where around launch. Thats a 12 year old now being 20 year old. Or a 30 year old now having one foot in the grave. Its no longer the new and exiting entrance into a fantasy world it once was - people just dont respond to "hellos" anymore, its just idle banter. But if you ask a question or make a request, I often see people answering. Its just that GW2 is well adjusted for people to do their thing with no words. See a tag? Check it out, prolly an event or boss. Do it, move on. No words needed. Simple.

Further tools like Discord have moved some of it outside the game.

How is 38 foot in the grave? Ouch! Once I pull myself out of this six foot hole you put me in I'll get back to answering questions in game for the newbies. Seriously though, I see in game chatter randomly still and I actively join in. Sometimes maps are dead. Thankfully the megaserver keeps enough people together that I really don't see what the OP is seeing.

I'm 54. I'd love to have the youth and vigor of 38 again! I miss my flat belly so much ... :) But I'm still nowhere near my grave, I have 30 or 40 years to go barring disaster. 38 isn't even half a lifespan for most. Now, the difference between 30 and 38 can be that between the grunt beginning of a career and a solidly established expertise. It can mean not having as much time to game any more, or having lots of established friends that get your social time in game.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

we and anet all got converted by the scrublings wanting single player online rpg, so now we are all a bunch of anti social kittens

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

I come to GW2 to get away from social interaction. It wouldn't occur to me to respond to a "Hi" in mapchat--if I even noticed.

• @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    I come to GW2 to get away from social interaction. It wouldn't occur to me to respond to a "Hi" in mapchat--if I even noticed.

Well i suppose that is where we are different. I play a Massive Multiplayer game to NOT be alone. Just saying.

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    they left, why go social when the game caters for meta players.

Tbh only parts of the game these days where i find social ppl is instanced content aka the content that gathers players with meta builds.

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

The extent of my chatting in game is usually limited to TY or YW. I am just there to play solo and be left alone to do my thing.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I'm just not that social. I barely even talk to my guilds.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Tren.5120Tren.5120 Member ✭✭

@Vayne.8563 said:
    Depends on where you go. In higher level zones, in HoT zones and zones that need more communciation there is more communication.

No there isn't.

• Tren.5120Tren.5120 Member ✭✭

@t sakacs.7568 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

Well i suppose that is where we are different. I play a Massive Multiplayer game to NOT be alone. Just saying.

You're still alone. Those pixels on your screen aren't real people. They're no different than randoms in an AOL Chat Room circa 1998.

When I don't want to be alone, I get out of the house and go visit some friends.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tren.5120 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:
    Depends on where you go. In higher level zones, in HoT zones and zones that need more communciation there is more communication.

No there isn't.

My experience differs from yours but ther'es plenty of chatter around meta times in most zones. Not sure why you haven't seen it.

• I tried to come back to this game today. Need a new guild since I've been gone for a year or more now, couldn't find anyone to converse with. So then I went to higher populated areas and the game engine hit me when my 3k dollar PC went from 140 fps to 24 fps. Then remembered why I stopped playing.

• @Tren.5120 said:

@t sakacs.7568 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

You're still alone. Those pixels on your screen aren't real people. They're no different than randoms in an AOL Chat Room circa 1998.

When I don't want to be alone, I get out of the house and go visit some friends.

Well yes, Physically i am alone unless there is someone beside me.

So you are saying that npc pixels on a screen are the same as a player's avatar on a screen? Hmm, i guess we see things differently when it comes to certain things. No big deal.

As far as getting out of the house to go see friends, that is great. When i talk about playing MMORPGS to play with other people i obviously mean IN the game. You seem like one of those people that would argue with a rock.

• This is one of the most social mmos I've played. Granted I'm in an active guild, but even in map chat and /say people talk. Especially if there's something to talk about, like an event, etc. Racial cities and Lion's Arch won't shut up.

• XYLO.7031XYLO.7031 Member ✭✭✭

DR. Find the Tinies hanging around the event areas and say hi. There or Minister's Waypoint when special events are not active.

Be wary though. If you say Hi as an Asura to a Tiny, you may be sucked in. Lol.

Eponymously known as 'Tanya' despite many alts
    Beetle Gymkhana @ Crimson Post Reset TT
    Home Course: Bloodtide Coast, Spiral Track aka Bloodtide Slide

• @Anemone.5320 said:
    This is one of the most social mmos I've played. Granted I'm in an active guild, but even in map chat and /say people talk. Especially if there's something to talk about, like an event, etc. Racial cities and Lion's Arch won't shut up.

haha yeah. I remember it being like that.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

Anet is slowly turning GW2 into a singleplayer game, are you surprised that the social people have left?

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps their marketing data shows that trend?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.